Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

How different are the States?

Is the best thing for one state the best thing for another? It kinda seems as if the states are becoming more polarized the more people think one idea is trying to take over another. Can some laws (same-sex marriage, marijuana, ect) actually become one of national questioning when states like Miss. are so much different than those like California?

vCash
    Its an interesting question that is difficult to wrangle.Many states where founded with very disticnt religious and cultural origins.
    I think the only delineation that is fairly arguable is the issue of intolerance.

You can say(or feel) I dont like Blacks, or gays, or weed,or cigarettes, or Muslims, or abortions, or anything...you have that right, but you do not have the right to attempt to secularize a state to reflect that perspective.It is Unconstitutional if anything ever was!
    even in a greatly polarized region, such as AZ, or ID, it is imperative to ensure the rights of every citizen are protected.

vCash
    The variety of states in terms of geography, culture, social perspectives, and political ideologies is what makes us great. There are obvious exceptions to this of course, as SP7 states- racism, bigotry, etc. But other than these obvious exceptions, we gather our strength from our diversity of thought, opinion, and perspective. It lets folks live in areas that relfect how they want to live.

Its the anger between these perspectives that keeps us from feeling content. Here is how I look at it- if folks want to live as they so choose, even if it is in a manner in which I might not approve, WTF do I care? And just as important, why shoudl I waste my precious time and energy worrying about the choices others make for themselves, if it makes them happy, and costs me nothing? Let states decide for themselves how best to chart their respective courses, and as long as what they do is compliant with the constitution, I wish them well. If they do well, I might stop by and spend some of my money while vacatioing there. If not, I'll find somewhere else to visit.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    The variety of states in terms of geography, culture, social perspectives, and political ideologies is what makes us great. There are obvious exceptions to this of course, as SP7 states- racism, bigotry, etc. But other than these obvious exceptions, we gather our strength from our diversity of thought, opinion, and perspective. It lets folks live in areas that relfect how they want to live.

Its the anger between these perspectives that keeps us from feeling content. Here is how I look at it- if folks want to live as they so choose, even if it is in a manner in which I might not approve, WTF do I care? And just as important, why shoudl I waste my precious time and energy worrying about the choices others make for themselves, if it makes them happy, and costs me nothing? Let states decide for themselves how best to chart their respective courses, and as long as what they do is compliant with the constitution, I wish them well. If they do well, I might stop by and spend some of my money while vacatioing there. If not, I'll find somewhere else to visit.
    Yeah that pesky constitutional limit. I love it. I don't disagree.

The problem is what the states like doing differently more than anything else is taking away different personal freedoms. It's just the personal freedoms they chose to outlaw are very different and for different reasons. The left is afraid you might hurt yourself and the right thinks what you are doing is morally wrong. They both love freedom though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Yeah that pesky constitutional limit. I love it. I don't disagree.

The problem is what the states like doing differently more than anything else is taking away different personal freedoms. It's just the personal freedoms they chose to outlaw are very different and for different reasons. The left is afraid you might hurt yourself and the right thinks what you are doing is morally wrong. They both love freedom though.
    Agreed.

vCash
    California is the best state of USA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asandhu23 View Post
    California is the best state of USA.
    California isn't the best state on the wast coast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    California isn't the best state on the wast coast.
    It is if you are a Cabernet Lover
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kjoke View Post
    Is the best thing for one state the best thing for another? It kinda seems as if the states are becoming more polarized the more people think one idea is trying to take over another. Can some laws (same-sex marriage, marijuana, ect) actually become one of national questioning when states like Miss. are so much different than those like California?
    Depends on the issue. I think there is a difference in cultures from some states to others, but take same-sex marriage; its an issue of human rights and needs to be handled universally by the SCOTUS.

Ultimately differences in state culture can dictate a popular opinion on an issues, but rights are rights and need to transcend opposition regardless of popular opinion.

vCash
    California isnt just the best state in the US its the best place in the world.
    San Diego,Orange County,Yosemite, Santa Barbara,the high desert,Big Bear/arrowhead mountain,Huntington Beach,Santa monica,Malibu,Ventura,San Francisco,The Red woods, the sequioas..its actually endless in its diversity and beauty....The only people Ive ever known that didnt LOVE..CA..are the ones that try to Vacation on the cheap, or have a single destination when they come.

vCash
    California is decent..
    Last edited by Sota4Ever; 11-29-2012 at 07:59 PM.

vCash
    I live in a very blue state, but work remotely on a daily basis with the people of a very red state. They are significantly different. There are some ways in which its like stepping back in time.

That said, I've also lived in urban areas in blue states on 3 of the 4 corners of the nation, and there were more similarities than differences among them. In my experience there are probably more differences between the urban and rural populations of most states than there are among states themselves. There are areas of California that are as illiterate, backwards and prejudiced as anywhere in the nation. There are also Atlanta and Austin, two of the more sophisticated urban centers in the nation, located in regions that generally lack that reputation. A college professor in Seattle and a college professor in Atlanta probably have a lot more in common than either of them has with a farmer from the most rural parts of their respective states, for example. In other words, there are differences among the states, but dividing people up by use of state lines may not be the most informative way to do it.

As for laws "becoming national" the answer is surely yes. It's just a matter of time, as it was for slavery, as it was for desegregation, so shall it be for gay marriage and pot legalization. Progress will continue to happen. And no, I am not comparing the relative importance of the above, just illustrating the direction we're moving.
    Last edited by Labgrownmangoat; 11-30-2012 at 12:29 PM.