Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Will the Suns go above .500 for the first time in the post-Nash era?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 33.33%
  • No

3 50.00%
  • I'll get back to you after the game ends

1 16.67%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...rindstone.html

Some of what he does with the Suns.

vCash
    A good basketball coach is a good basketball coach no matter if your team is male or female.

vCash
    It's funny how people are blaming gentry, so early in the season. Look what he has, what do you people expect.

vCash
    Honestly, I get that it's hard to coach a bad team with bad players but when your team of bad players is under performing (even to their own poor standards) then you have to look at coaching. Gortat and Scola are the only people overachieving in this offense. Telfair and Tucker are playing good basketball but everyone else is under performing.

Dragic is playing his heart out to get anything that resembles a good shot; Beasley couldn't throw a ball into the ocean right now because he can't get any spacing and the Same problem with Dudley.

I like Gentry and I don't think he's a bad coach but he has always made some questionable decisions during games, the bad roster just magnifies them.

Gentry's strength is his offense yet I think it looks messy and doesn't work very well. I'm not calling for Gentry to be fired or to be let go at the end of the season, I just think he needs to make some changes. I'd like to see us go back to the old offense a little more and get some P&Rs and pick and pops with Beasley and Gortat.

vCash
    Its hard to have good spacing when teams dont respect your shooters. And really, its a team full of jump shooters so the spacing is going to be bad when so many guys need to be in the same areas to get their ideal looks. I like Dragic but he is not a great distributing PG so guys are mostly having to create their own looks. Dudley is a great catch and shoot player but we have so many guys who like to go ISO (Beasley, Brown, Dragic) that its pretty rare that he is given the ball in a good position to score. Beasley has no one but himself to blame for spacing issues with how often he calls his own number from the get-go then dribbles himself into a bad situation (and shoots anyway).

Its just a really poorly assembled team. Guys that dont fit together and almost no depth. There are so many inefficient jump shooters that we are going struggle to score on a regular basis (those that predicted this would be a great offensive team were nuts).

Dragic needs to be paired with another combo guard, like Brown or Telfair, moving Dudley to the 3 where he wont be asked to do much ball handling and can play off the ball more (which he thrives at). Beasley should come off the bench, it would afford him more time at the 4, a position he is more suited to play, and he would be far less disruptive to the flow of the 1st team offense, which relies on ball movement and spacing.

But the bench is a serious problem. Gentry has done excellent work with some bad quality benches but he has never had a group this awful. O'Neal is the corpse that I thought he would be, Morris has no basketball IQ, Wes Johnson is halfway to playing in Singapore, Marshall is woefully unready to play at the NBA level. So we are left in situations where we have to use Dudley at power forward because our front court depth does not exist. Toss in that Beasley has been an extremely negative presence both on offense and defense and the Suns are a team with only 6-7 guys playing at an NBA quality level, and no one even close to resembling an all-star.

To lay the struggles on the coach is a joke. Its like blaming the chef for not making Steak Diane when his ingredients were Ramen Noddles, Cheese Whiz and some spoiled milk.

vCash
    I was never expecting anything more than what we're getting from this roster but it's clear that players are not performing to the standards they should be.

I'm not putting the blame solely on Gentry but if you think Gentry isn't part of the problem then you're far to set in your 'the players suck so bad' mind set. You can throw out all the analogies you want but the bottom line is that if something isn't working then you make a change. There's no harm in it. You said yourself that changes need to be made with regards to the line up. That's Gentrys job and, although it's early, it's pretty black and white as to what is working and what isn't, he should see that and be proactive about it.

I don't like this offense we're running as the only person it's really helping is Scola. I'm no armchair coach but it's obvious there needs to be a change. We have big guys who are low post threats and can shoot close to the perimiter so spacing shouldn't be as much of an issue as it has been.

Like I said, Gentry has a tough job but if something isn't working, you make a change. That goes for both line-up and system changes, in practice and in the game. Gentry is not without blame.

vCash
    I'm still gonna put a lot of this blame on chemistry. We find ways to comeback and in some cases win when we aren't on our game.
    Our worst defeats were on the second nights of back to backs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntey View Post
    I was never expecting anything more than what we're getting from this roster but it's clear that players are not performing to the standards they should be.

I'm not putting the blame solely on Gentry but if you think Gentry isn't part of the problem then you're far to set in your 'the players suck so bad' mind set. You can throw out all the analogies you want but the bottom line is that if something isn't working then you make a change. There's no harm in it. You said yourself that changes need to be made with regards to the line up. That's Gentrys job and, although it's early, it's pretty black and white as to what is working and what isn't, he should see that and be proactive about it.

I don't like this offense we're running as the only person it's really helping is Scola. I'm no armchair coach but it's obvious there needs to be a change. We have big guys who are low post threats and can shoot close to the perimiter so spacing shouldn't be as much of an issue as it has been.

Like I said, Gentry has a tough job but if something isn't working, you make a change. That goes for both line-up and system changes, in practice and in the game. Gentry is not without blame.
    Well, I think at this point in the season he is supposed to be trying a lot of new rotations, and he is. The starting group hasnt changed but the starters are just there in title, the minutes being dished out have shown some evolving lineups.

And I think the biggest problem right now on both ends is Beasley, and I doubt Gentry has the latitude to so quickly demote the player our front office hyped up all offseason. If he continues to play this poorly then he will eventually get benched, like Childress did, but it takes a while for a player with that much money wasted on him to get buried.

vCash
    Some of our guys (Dudley in particular) are missing wide open shots on a regular basis. This is not a spacing issue, and cannot be blamed on Gentry.

I agree that there are issues with our first unit offense, which is evident from some of the terrible starts we’ve had.

A new coach isn’t going to turn this team into a contender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntey View Post

It's always going to be bad when they lose. Gentry does everything a coach is supposed to do. He is a players coach, but don't mind holding players accountable. He gives you defense, but also gives you run n gun offense. He utilizes the bench all the time. His flaws are always going to e questionable, but when he took us to the western conference finals with less talent what does that tell you. Give this man talent, and his coaching will look a lot better.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345