Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Red Sox Sign David Ross 2 Years 6.2 Million

The Red Sox have agreed to sign catcher David Ross to a two-year contract, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The deal is still pending a physical. Ross is a Sports One Athlete Management client.

Over the last four seasons, the 35-year-old Ross has established himself as the best hitting backup catcher in baseball. He hit .269/.353/.463 with the Braves during that time, including .256/.321/.449 with nine homers in 196 plate appearances this year. Thanks in part to the presence of Brian McCann, Ross has not come to the plate even 200 times in a single season since 2007. He played with the Red Sox very briefly in 2008.

Rosenthal hears that Ross will be "more than a backup but not a starter" with Boston (Twitter link). The Red Sox already have Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Ryan Lavarnway behind the plate, but the former hit just .170/.211/.283 against left-handers this year while the latter hit .157/.211/.248 overall in 166 late season plate appearances. Ross gives them a platoon partner for Salty while Lavarnway could continue to refine his game in Triple-A. As a right-handed hitter, Ross should benefit from playing in Fenway Park.

MLBTR's Tim Dierkes did not rank Ross on his Top 50 Free Agents list. The backstop earned $1.625MM in each of the last two seasons, and he did not receive a qualifying offer from Atlanta. The Red Sox won't have to forfeit a draft pick to sign him. McCann may miss the start of next year following his offseason shoulder surgery, so the Braves will have to find a capable replacement for Ross.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#IsqYEstkR6PKjC1x.99
    mlbtr.com
    2/3 of the world is covered by water, the other 1/3 is covered by

CHAMP BAILEY!!

vCash
    maybe we can move the david ross discussion from 3 other threads into this one?
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Noooo

vCash
    dang it

vCash
    Good for Rossy. Doubled his salary near the end of his career.

vCash
    You the man Rossy. Good for you. Can't be mad at you.

vCash
    This is a huge blow for the Braves, in my opinion. Now you're talking about starting somebody like Matt Treanor or Miguel Olivo for six weeks while waiting for McCann to come back. I think Ross would have been worth every penny of a $6 million extension over two years, and this winter for once, the Braves have the resources to make a move like that and give a deserving player a raise. This also means that the Braves' top two clubhouse guys are gone from last year. Plus, Ross by all indications wanted to stay in Atlanta, so that tells me the Braves didn't make him any kind of reasonable offer compared to what the Sox gave him.

I'm normally a big believer in the Braves' front office, but if they're making sacrifices like this over what can't have been more than about a $2-3 million difference, I sort of hate to imagine what the rest of the offseason might have in store.

vCash
    Not sure the value of it but the braves just got less cool. Good luck Ross

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    But I agree with rtgthree. I hope we have some big plans in store because this seems like a bad idea.

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Bad for us, good for Rossy. Wish him all the luck in the world in Boston.

On a side note, I wonder what it would take to wrestle Tyler Flowers away from the Chi Sox...

vCash
    This is not good FW

vCash
    I will miss him

vCash
    Good for him, love him as a player. However, I'm very glad we didn't pay a backup catcher $3 million each year for his age 36 and age 37 seasons. That could be the difference between paying a real bench bat like Reed Johnson or running out Constanza again.

vCash
    What about signing Geovany Soto he will probably be non-tender by the Rangers, he will be cheao because he had an awful year. He's 29 and has hit lefties well in his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    What about signing Geovany Soto he will probably be non-tender by the Rangers, he will be cheao because he had an awful year. He's 29 and has hit lefties well in his career.
    With Mike Napoli leaving I can say he will most likely stay in Tex
    Cpl Devildog
    USMC

Its Not A Religion its a Faith... Semper Fi
    Braves Fan For Life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast