Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Salty in a trade for Morrison or Morneau are the two ideas that popped into my mind. We'll see though.
    Yeah, I immediately thought of Morneau too. I'd like either one.

vCash
    Really nice signing, without looking into it I think Ross's offensive numbers might be a bit inflated from batting 8th in the NL though. For him to leave the Braves we must have promised him a bigger role.

It makes too much sense to trade Salty now. He's a free agent in a year and his home run totals will be attractive to someone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    Martin wants $8M+ per year, we got probably the best backup in the game for 2 years/$6.2M. I absolutely approve of this signing, and you have to think one of our other catchers gets traded.
    Where did you find Martin wanting $8+/year?

vCash
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    Ross will be “more than a backup but not a starter” for #RedSox, source says. Team could move Salty or Lavarnway. Plans unclear.

Translation: We don't know how ready Lavarnway will be next year, but we're definitely trading Saltalamacchia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BGeer091 View Post
    I'm not sure how people can't be excited about this... He's probably the best back up C in the game...

I'm excited for 2 reasons.

1. Lavarnway will be the starting Catcher for us. I believe he's going to have a very productive season. Im not saying .320 40HR etc, but around .270 25 HR. While also being a solid defensive catcher.

2. The leadership, and club house presence he brings. Sometimes I believe those traits get over looked. We need some real quality veterans, to help show the young guys coming up how to play.
    Agree on Ross, but you are WAY over estimating what Lavarnway can do.

I still think he's gonna go through a big learning curve, no way he hits 25 HRs next year.

I'd be satisfied with .250-.260 BA 10-15 HRs, kinda like the numbers Ross puts up.
    If Lavarnway puts up what you said, I'm content. He's young and still learning. If he hits for 25 HRs then ill drop dead.

vCash
    Salty in a trade for Morrison or Morneau are the two ideas that popped into my mind. We'll see though.
    Minnesota, Cleveland, Miami could be possible destinations if Salty gets moved.

I like the Logan Morrison idea.....

vCash
    You know Theo was balls deep in the Saltalamacchia project and the Cubs need a catcher...
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar - #7 in the World

Montreal's Sweetheart Eugenie Bouchard

Go Genie Go!

vCash
    is there ANY chance they're going to have either Salty or Lavarnway play first base with Ross backing up whichever one stays at catcher, god i hope not...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post
    is there ANY chance they're going to have either Salty or Lavarnway play first base with Ross backing up whichever one stays at catcher, god i hope not...
    Nah, no chance Lavarnway moves off catcher this soon and Salty wont hit enough for 1B or be a good fielder there.

vCash
    Ross has some good pop and I like this signing a lot!
    Feeling left out in society? Are you that kid? The Bruins forum can help you.

PSD's Zdeno Chara

PSD Bruins Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Yeti FTW

vCash
    Nah, no chance Lavarnway moves off catcher this soon and Salty wont hit enough for 1B or be a good fielder there.
    okay good.........i mean adding Ross as the backup to lavarnway, trading Salty for something decent (i.e a decent prospect, quality BP arm, ANYTHING of substance really) and signing (my hope) Napoli to play first base would be a great start to a rebuilding offseason, i really believe they won't be that bad next year, IF their pitchers can turn it around (with Farrell, i think is entirely possible) and COULD be in contending for either one of those Wildcard spots or even the division...the Yankees are going downhill, the Rays have pitching but no hitting other than a few guys, the Orioles CAN'T be for real, and the TBJs are well they just suck every year....this might be the best time for the sox to go into a "rebuild" b/c the whole division is weak right now imo....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    Why is Ben going after old aged players? Jeez. I would rather have Martin at two years Martin has better numbers
    Because this team will not win the WS in 2013 and 2014. Backup catcher is not a priority position.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHizz View Post
    Well, Bags, Ross was hardly considered a "secret" anymore. He got lots of praise for being the best back-up catcher in baseball. It's a great signing for us. That gives us the flexibility to trade one of Salty (less return) or Lavarnway (more return).

This COULD potentially be a precursor to a Ellsbury and Salty/Lavs to Texas trade.
    Nobody was talking about him here, that's secret enough.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Leave this team with no OF?
    Ellsbury has single handedly left us with no CF 2 of the last 3 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    Agree on Ross, but you are WAY over estimating what Lavarnway can do.

I still think he's gonna go through a big learning curve, no way he hits 25 HRs next year.

I'd be satisfied with .250-.260 BA 10-15 HRs, kinda like the numbers Ross puts up.
    Scouts and baseball people are very high on Lavarnway. If he pulls a .262/.332/.452 with 14 HR's in 110 games I would count that as a very solid step forward. 25 HR's for a 3/5 catcher is extreme.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast