Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 128
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    14,545
    vCash
    1500

    why is the Trayvon Martin case such a big deal?

    every 30 min someone is murdered.. what makes this one such a big deal? nearly once a week someone is killed in my cite (that i hear about) yet no one from my cite ever gets on the news

    few years ago (2006 i believe) my aunt(like 37) and 2 of my cus(10 and 12) where gunned down in there home.. another cus (14) came home after school to see that mess..

    it got a hole 3 min of air time on locale TV and never was brought up on the big networks

    so what makes TM so much better? im not compiling the case my famley had wasn't big news.. im actually happy it wasn't.. but why it TM such a big deal?

    by all accounts he seems like your avg kid..

    PSD's Sling Blade and lions forum bouncer

    2013 tied for 1st place -PSD(lions forum) NFL pick'em
    2012 Lions draft contest winner
    Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 #22 winner
    2010, 2011, 2012 best argument


    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I'm a Lions fan we aren't allowed to dream of success so I don't let others do so either.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    21,984
    vCash
    1500
    Florida's Stand Your Ground law complicated this case to the point where even though we know he killed him, whether he can be convicted of murder is highly debatable. Because it was an African American killed, the race issue becomes involved and a known killer getting let off with nothing feeds into anyone that wants to make it an issue even though it isn't from a legal standpoint.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

    Trill Team

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    57,327
    vCash
    1700
    Because of people like you who won't drop the topic. Just a thought.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    14,545
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Florida's Stand Your Ground law complicated this case to the point where even though we know he killed him, whether he can be convicted of murder is highly debatable. Because it was an African American killed, the race issue becomes involved and a known killer getting let off with nothing feeds into anyone that wants to make it an issue even though it isn't from a legal standpoint.
    yea but it got news be for the court even started..

    and my family's case was interracial to.. just like a lot of the cases that happen every day..

    a estimated 48 murders happen a day.. FL is up there in murders so why isnt every case from there news?

    PSD's Sling Blade and lions forum bouncer

    2013 tied for 1st place -PSD(lions forum) NFL pick'em
    2012 Lions draft contest winner
    Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 #22 winner
    2010, 2011, 2012 best argument


    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I'm a Lions fan we aren't allowed to dream of success so I don't let others do so either.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    14,545
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jpro611 View Post
    Because of people like you who won't drop the topic. Just a thought.
    what topic? you jumping to conclusions agine?

    PSD's Sling Blade and lions forum bouncer

    2013 tied for 1st place -PSD(lions forum) NFL pick'em
    2012 Lions draft contest winner
    Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 #22 winner
    2010, 2011, 2012 best argument


    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I'm a Lions fan we aren't allowed to dream of success so I don't let others do so either.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    21,984
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by det32 View Post
    yea but it got news be for the court even started..

    and my family's case was interracial to.. just like a lot of the cases that happen every day..

    a estimated 48 murders happen a day.. FL is up there in murders so why isnt every case from there news?
    You're ignoring the second condition I stated after talking about it being interracial - we know who did it. This isn't a matter of finding the person who killed someone. We know exactly who did it. The case involved the circumstances that took place leading up to that. Because of the Stand Your Ground law there is debate on whether the murder was legal or not. The end result is that a man we know killed someone gets off with nothing. Because of the racism that still exists in this country this is being lumped in as a further example of it because a lot of people quite frankly are too ignorant to look into it before they give an opinion. That's always a hot button issue hence the non-stop talking about it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

    Trill Team

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    14,545
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    You're ignoring the second condition I stated after talking about it being interracial - we know who did it. This isn't a matter of finding the person who killed someone. We know exactly who did it. The case involved the circumstances that took place leading up to that. Because of the Stand Your Ground law there is debate on whether the murder was legal or not. The end result is that a man we know killed someone gets off with nothing. Because of the racism that still exists in this country this is being lumped in as a further example of it because a lot of people quite frankly are too ignorant to look into it before they give an opinion. That's always a hot button issue hence the non-stop talking about it.
    so your saying a big reason is do to the law? ok i can deal with that..

    but still a lot of murders happen in FL... i donno how mwny are Hispanic on black..i also don't know how meny we know right away who the killer was.. by im sure there is a few more... why are they not news?

    the interracial part really needs to be let go.. why does it mater what race died or what race did the killing?

    PSD's Sling Blade and lions forum bouncer

    2013 tied for 1st place -PSD(lions forum) NFL pick'em
    2012 Lions draft contest winner
    Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 #22 winner
    2010, 2011, 2012 best argument


    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I'm a Lions fan we aren't allowed to dream of success so I don't let others do so either.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,853
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by det32 View Post
    so your saying a big reason is do to the law? ok i can deal with that..

    but still a lot of murders happen in FL... i donno how mwny are Hispanic on black..i also don't know how meny we know right away who the killer was.. by im sure there is a few more... why are they not news?

    the interracial part really needs to be let go.. why does it mater what race died or what race did the killing?
    Zimmerman became news because police knew he killed someone and didn't arrest him. How could the responding officer determine innocence at the scene in a situation like that?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,765
    vCash
    1500
    Every story has 1 thing in common. Some kind of conflict. Every thing cant just go perfect for the protagonist the entire time or people will get bored and stop watching. An so it's people like you that have helped make the TM mega story. It's the "conflict" of opposing forces outside the case that is driving it.

    For example if everyone agreed GZ was a wanna be rent cop, murdering d-bag who killed an innocent boy out of sheer stupidity and should go to jail. This case would have received little attention. But when you have two sides clashing. Now you have got something for the media to fuel. The media is like an arms dealer. They go where the conflict is.

    You need look no further than this forum for proof. If everybody agrees it is a very short thread. But if everybody disagrees it will go on and on. Now their are exceptions, sometimes for cases when there is some kind if reality tv type drama that draws people's interest. In general their is going to be either opposing forces or seedy details. Something to make people take about it for more than 5 mins.


    So this case likely wont garner as much attention cause there is no juicy dirt and no one to defend the little heartless S.O.B.'s.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shakedown Street, Japan
    Posts
    30,250
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by det32 View Post
    every 30 min someone is murdered.. what makes this one such a big deal? nearly once a week someone is killed in my cite (that i hear about) yet no one from my cite ever gets on the news

    few years ago (2006 i believe) my aunt(like 37) and 2 of my cus(10 and 12) where gunned down in there home.. another cus (14) came home after school to see that mess..

    it got a hole 3 min of air time on locale TV and never was brought up on the big networks

    so what makes TM so much better? im not compiling the case my famley had wasn't big news.. im actually happy it wasn't.. but why it TM such a big deal?

    by all accounts he seems like your avg kid..
    I think your larger point, that the murders and other violent crimes that occur every day should get much more media attention, is spot on. It's basically S.O.P. to ignore it or brush it under the rug, and that really should change.

    But that's not mutually exclusive to the Trayvon case getting its share of media focus. I don't think that's really a true dichotomy there. It's not as if, for example, media outlets couldn't place more emphasis on reporting on the big picture of currently underreported violence by cutting out fluff pieces on waterskiing squirrels and crap. In a 24 hour news cycle, there's plenty of room for more investigative coverage of more serious and pressing issues.

    As some above have said, the legal issues regarding stand your ground laws in particular were highlighted by the complexities of this case. And I think Obama did a good job in his remarks on the Trayvon case of highlighting its symbolic importance and emotional resonance. There are some legitimate reasons to shine a spotlight on some particular cases, and in my opinion, that does apply here.

    It's inevitable, just due to the sheer volume of information, that some cases will be elevated as more highly visible stories. And basically, I agree with your point. So the important thing for us to do is to recognize them not as isolated incidents, but as representative of more widely spread social and legal problems. And actually, I do think many people (though not all) do recognize this.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

    Atheists Of PSD

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,765
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by det32 View Post
    every 30 min someone is murdered.. what makes this one such a big deal? nearly once a week someone is killed in my cite (that i hear about) yet no one from my cite ever gets on the news

    few years ago (2006 i believe) my aunt(like 37) and 2 of my cus(10 and 12) where gunned down in there home.. another cus (14) came home after school to see that mess..

    it got a hole 3 min of air time on locale TV and never was brought up on the big networks

    so what makes TM so much better? im not compiling the case my famley had wasn't big news.. im actually happy it wasn't.. but why it TM such a big deal?

    by all accounts he seems like your avg kid..

    Now I have a questions for you.

    1. Why do you have a problem with it being a big deal? Why would anyone decent person have a problem, with a person losing their life being a big deal. Any case that has ever become a big deal has had many more just like it that never got any attention. The TM case is no different form any other case that has got national attention. So why do you have a problem now?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    14,545
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay33 View Post
    Now I have a questions for you.

    1. Why do you have a problem with it being a big deal? Why would anyone decent person have a problem, with a person losing their life being a big deal. Any case that has ever become a big deal has had many more just like it that never got any attention. The TM case is no different form any other case that has got national attention. So why do you have a problem now?
    i agree its no different..

    the problem i have is that they ALL got attention.. and most of them for the wrong reasons..

    the death of TM is very sad.. just like the other 40+ people that are killed every day.. i think just think its disrespectful to single one out..

    i donno if TMs famley wanted this all over the news or not.. but for arguments sake lets say the didn't.. you dont think they should have had that right?

    PSD's Sling Blade and lions forum bouncer

    2013 tied for 1st place -PSD(lions forum) NFL pick'em
    2012 Lions draft contest winner
    Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 #22 winner
    2010, 2011, 2012 best argument


    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I'm a Lions fan we aren't allowed to dream of success so I don't let others do so either.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,765
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by det32 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay33 View Post
    Now I have a questions for you.

    1. Why do you have a problem with it being a big deal? Why would anyone decent person have a problem, with a person losing their life being a big deal. Any case that has ever become a big deal has had many more just like it that never got any attention. The TM case is no different form any other case that has got national attention. So why do you have a problem now?
    i agree its no different..

    the problem i have is that they ALL got attention.. and most of them for the wrong reasons..

    the death of TM is very sad.. just like the othe 40+ peaopl that are killed every day.. i think its disrespectful..

    i donno if TMs famley wanted this all over the news or not.. but for arguments sake lets say the didn't.. you dont think they should have had that right?

    Oh ok, I see we'll the media is not a charity. They are a business. Therefore your question can be answered with one word......"Revenue". They want stories that will draw the most interest. Cause they will make them the most money. Everything is always about money. It is what is it is.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    57,327
    vCash
    1700
    Why was there no media following the Casey Anthony case?

    Must have been because she was white and killed a white person

    .....OH wait

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,293
    vCash
    1500

    why is the Trayvon Martin case such a big deal?

    Because it distracted everyone from Benghazi and NSA lol it's all a politics game

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •