Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang

Favorite old school Kung Fu flicks

What are people's favorite old school, pre 1990 flicks?

I have a couple hundred on DVD and I am always curious what recommendations others have.
    I'm watching one called "Spooky Encounters 2" tonight. Sammo Hung, Hoi Mang.

Brave Archer series is up there, Bat without wings, of course the 36th chamber and the sequel, also the bronzemen, Jackie chans early stuff.

I'm looking for some fun, silly funny stuff. Drunken Tao is a great one too

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

this thread is my jam, I literally grew up loving kung fu movies, and have an extensive collection. I also started practicing in Chinese martial arts (including traditional kung fu, wushu, taichi, bagua, and xingyi) in 1991, competed from 1998-2010, and have practiced on my own since that time. I LOVE Chinese martial arts, ie, kung fu.

Jackie Chan alone has a bunch
    Police Story
    Dragons Forever (this one is cool, he plays his own twin, had no clue they existed, one can fight, the other can't)
    Armour of God
    Wheels on Meals (Jackie fights Benny "The Jet" Urquidez late in the movie, it's a spectacular fight scene
    Project A
    Fearless Hyena
    Drunken Master
    Dragons Forever (the end fight scene is amazing, again Jackie fights Urquidez, and his classmate Yuen Biao is amazing in the scene, performing acrobatics that are crazy)

As for others
    Enter the Dragon
    Fist of Fury
    Chinese Connection
    My Lucky Stars
    Champion of Shaolin
    The Prodigal Son
    Knockabout (Sammo Hung early director credit)
    Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (Yuen Woo-ping early movie, most of you know him from Crouching Tiger, and more)
    Come Drink with Me
    Magnificent Butcher (Sammo Hung is awesome, if you haven't seen him, check him out. Fat dude who moves like a monkey)

Five Deadly Venoms might stand on it's own, as a classic.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Favorite old school Kung Fu flicks

Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmmahhh View Post
    I bought this movie for $3 like a year ago. It's so amazingly bad haha

"Whose the master Leroy?"

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I bought this movie for $3 like a year ago. It's so amazingly bad haha

"Whose the master Leroy?"
    So bad, it's great.

Bruce Leroy!!!
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

this thread is my jam, I literally grew up loving kung fu movies, and have an extensive collection. I also started practicing in Chinese martial arts (including traditional kung fu, wushu, taichi, bagua, and xingyi) in 1991, competed from 1998-2010, and have practiced on my own since that time. I LOVE Chinese martial arts, ie, kung fu.

Jackie Chan alone has a bunch
    Police Story
    Dragons Forever (this one is cool, he plays his own twin, had no clue they existed, one can fight, the other can't)
    Armour of God
    Wheels on Meals (Jackie fights Benny "The Jet" Urquidez late in the movie, it's a spectacular fight scene
    Project A
    Fearless Hyena
    Drunken Master
    Dragons Forever (the end fight scene is amazing, again Jackie fights Urquidez, and his classmate Yuen Biao is amazing in the scene, performing acrobatics that are crazy)

As for others
    Enter the Dragon
    Fist of Fury
    Chinese Connection
    My Lucky Stars
    Champion of Shaolin
    The Prodigal Son
    Knockabout (Sammo Hung early director credit)
    Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (Yuen Woo-ping early movie, most of you know him from Crouching Tiger, and more)
    Come Drink with Me
    Magnificent Butcher (Sammo Hung is awesome, if you haven't seen him, check him out. Fat dude who moves like a monkey)

Five Deadly Venoms might stand on it's own, as a classic.
    Butcher is great. I'm a big Samo fan. He and Jacky came up together in the circus. Spooky encounters 1 and 2 are hysterical kung fu, horror, comedies.

The scene with Jackie and Bennie is one of the most realistic and best choreographed scenes in any martial arts movie. There is nothing pretty. It's all function.

I think I've seen every one on your list except my lucky stars and prodigal son, but the movies have so many names that I may have seen them.
    The Sentimental swordsman, films are great. If you can find it check out Drunken taoism for sure. It's one of those super weird and funny ones with crazy **** in every scene.

5 element Ninjas is a fun one as is one which the name escapes me ( I own it, I'll just have to look) It's an evil prince who's traded a giant gorilla to do kung fu. There are some crazy priests with huge tongues... I think the final scene they fight a guy that does crab style.

I am searching for the super weird stuff. I love the mythology and symbolism

Hawkeye, another great Samo film is called "Enter the Fat Dragon" He basically imitates to perfection Bruce lee in a very funny but good action flick

We just finished a giant renovation and I got stuff out of storage that had been there for months. I'm quite pleased to get this stuff back

Quote Originally Posted by Timmmahhh View Post
    I have to see that one. lol It looks amazing.

Enter the Dragon is the only one I've ever enjoyed.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was ****ing terrible. Watched it as "entertainment" on a plane a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Butcher is great. I'm a big Samo fan. He and Jacky came up together in the circus. Spooky encounters 1 and 2 are hysterical kung fu, horror, comedies.

The scene with Jackie and Bennie is one of the most realistic and best choreographed scenes in any martial arts movie. There is nothing pretty. It's all function.

I think I've seen every one on your list except my lucky stars and prodigal son, but the movies have so many names that I may have seen them.
    The Sentimental swordsman, films are great. If you can find it check out Drunken taoism for sure. It's one of those super weird and funny ones with crazy **** in every scene.

5 element Ninjas is a fun one as is one which the name escapes me ( I own it, I'll just have to look) It's an evil prince who's traded a giant gorilla to do kung fu. There are some crazy priests with huge tongues... I think the final scene they fight a guy that does crab style.

I am searching for the super weird stuff. I love the mythology and symbolism
    Jackie, Sammo, and Yuen Biao actually all came from the Beijing Opera Academy. You signed your kids away to 7 year contracts at a time, and they belonged to the school. 12 hours a day of gymnastics, tumbling, kung fu, singing, and dancing. It produced Cory Yuen (one of the most famous fight choreographers ever), and many other famous stuntman. Jackie isn't the best fighter, but good luck catching that ****er in his prime, he was a monkey. Sammo was amazing. He broke his arm when he was like 18, gained a bunch of weight healing, and was kicked out of the school when he didn't lose the weight haha.

Yeah dude, there are 2 scenes with Jackie versus Benny. I think Meals on Wheels is the better one, but Dragons Forever is good too. The Jet was an incredible martial artist, he would have taken Jackie apart in real life.
    Last edited by Hawkeye15; 08-31-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Hawkeye, another great Samo film is called "Enter the Fat Dragon" He basically imitates to perfection Bruce lee in a very funny but good action flick

We just finished a giant renovation and I got stuff out of storage that had been there for months. I'm quite pleased to get this stuff back
    it was ok haha, I didn't enjoy it a ton. Post 1990, he was in a couple that were ok. Did you ever see his show, Martial Law? It was meh, but good fights. He was also good in Ip Man 2, and Kill Zone, both with Donnie Yen, who I think might be the best actual fighter in the martial arts cinema world.

Saw a random old school steven seagal produced movie featuring none other than... steven seagal.... on TV last night. Classic action there! haha jk.

Quote Originally Posted by rev View Post
    Saw a random old school steven seagal produced movie featuring none other than... steven seagal.... on TV last night. Classic action there! haha jk.
    as much as Seagal deserves to be ripped, he is as legit as it gets. He would be very difficult to handle in a fight. Check out his background, he came from tough Japanese schools, and his mastery of aikido is second to none, though he totally let himself go the last 15 years haha

as much as Seagal deserves to be ripped, he is as legit as it gets. He would be very difficult to handle in a fight. Check out his background, he came from tough Japanese schools, and his mastery of aikido is second to none, though he totally let himself go the last 15 years haha
    He's a bad dude. He talked about learning a technique then getting into a fight to test it. Then his Sensei would beat his azz for getting into a fight. He'd defend and learn a new technique. lol

The IP man were great. Sammo was the Bagua guy? Or the other master?
    Donnie Yen is great. He's also a solid actor. I should really look at more of his stuff.
    Post 90s steven chow is incredible. He's a creative freak.

He's a bad dude. He talked about learning a technique then getting into a fight to test it. Then his Sensei would beat his azz for getting into a fight. He'd defend and learn a new technique. lol

The IP man were great. Sammo was the Bagua guy? Or the other master?
    Donnie Yen is great. He's also a solid actor. I should really look at more of his stuff.
    Post 90s steven chow is incredible. He's a creative freak.
    Sammo wasn't the bagua guy, I didn't know that guy. Sammo was kind of the top master in the new city Ip Man moved to, remember he fought him on the table in front of the other masters.

Dude, Yen is amazing. If you research who is Mom is, you will know why. Yen could take apart any martial arts actor in a real fight. Iron Monkey, Once Upon a Time in China 2 (where he fits Jet Li), Hero (he plays Sky), Kill Zone, Legend of Fist, Ip Man, and Kung Fu Killer are all must watch movies. He is so good dude

I like Steven Chow for entertainment purposes, but he isn't a martial artist. But I actually think he is a good actor, and would be good in US cinema I think, as a real actor.
    Last edited by Hawkeye15; 09-01-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast