Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to get a job with virtually no experience?

I'm talking about entry level jobs, not becoming an engineer or doctor or whatever.

I had initially quit work to focus on school but my mom had gotten cancer 6 months ago so I can't afford to go back this semester nor does financial aid want to offer me a penny so I have no choice but to go back to work.

Problem is, I've used sites like Indeed and must've applied to at least 100 jobs over the past few weeks (all receptionist, supermarket, entry level jobs) but those sites don't seem to get you anywhere. Most places want ridiculous amounts of experience and for you to at least have an Associates/Bachelors degree (I was working toward my associates and only needed one more semester)

I've handed out my resumé but it doesn't seem to get any callbacks which leads me to believe that it sucks. (Along with my cover letter)

What websites/methods do you use to find work? I'm open to all suggestions, I know the answer is probably simple to a lot of you guys but I've clearly been doing something wrong...the wisdom of PSD would be greatly appreciated.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

fellatio generally works

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    fellatio generally works
    At least we can get that comment out of the way early.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I'm talking about entry level jobs, not becoming an engineer or doctor or whatever.

I had initially quit work to focus on school but my mom had gotten cancer 6 months ago so I can't afford to go back this semester nor does financial aid want to offer me a penny so I have no choice but to go back to work.

Problem is, I've used sites like Indeed and must've applied to at least 100 jobs over the past few weeks (all receptionist, supermarket, entry level jobs) but those sites don't seem to get you anywhere. Most places want ridiculous amounts of experience and for you to at least have an Associates/Bachelors degree (I was working toward my associates and only needed one more semester)

I've handed out my resumé but it doesn't seem to get any callbacks which leads me to believe that it sucks. (Along with my cover letter)

What websites/methods do you use to find work? I'm open to all suggestions, I know the answer is probably simple to a lot of you guys but I've clearly been doing something wrong...the wisdom of PSD would be greatly appreciated.

I think the AA would help. So my first advice is to get it. If you are going to your home community college you should be able to cover the cost of a semester with a Stafford loan. Tuition cost at my home CC is a little under 2 grand for a 15 credit semester. If yours is similar it is well worth it get that degree even if you have to borrow for a semester. I am sorry I'm very much in a specialized field and haven't looked for that type of work in sometime. So i do not have a lot of advice. I would make my resume pretty as ****. It is the one thing that you can give a prospective employers that will give them a look into your attention to detail and work ethic. if you gave me a resume with one line of the 2nd page you are not getting an interview. Btw, I'm sorry about your Mom, I hope everything works out
    Last edited by ewing; 09-05-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

At least we can get that comment out of the way early.
    in all seriousness, one of the few things I hate about the modern era of job hunting, is everything in online, so you can't meet a person until an official interview is set. The one thing I will tell you is, if you are applying for very entry level jobs, just go to places in person and ask to fill out an application, and meet the manager. Furthermore, if your resume has a college education on it, with plenty of activities, no supermarket will want to hire you to bag groceries, they know you won't last long there. Your resume needs to fit what you are applying for, meaning you may need to dumb it down for a job like a receptionist.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

in all seriousness, one of the few things I hate about the modern era of job hunting, is everything in online, so you can't meet a person until an official interview is set. The one thing I will tell you is, if you are applying for very entry level jobs, just go to places in person and ask to fill out an application, and meet the manager. Furthermore, if your resume has a college education on it, with plenty of activities, no supermarket will want to hire you to bag groceries, they know you won't last long there. Your resume needs to fit what you are applying for, meaning you may need to dumb it down for a job like a receptionist.
    yeah a resume seems a bit weird for a supermarket anyway. Do they make you submit a resume to bag groceries? I thought it would be just an application. college work show skills needed for a receptionist type job. the last thing you want is some smuck that cant turn on a computer
    Last edited by ewing; 09-05-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I think the AA would help. So my first advice is to get it. If you are going to your home community college you should be able to cover the cost of a semester with a Stafford loan. Tuition cost at my home CC is a little under 2 grand for a 15 credit semester. If yours is similar it is well worth it get that degree even if you have to borrow for a semester. I am sorry I'm very much in a specialized field and haven't looked for that type of work in sometime. So i do not have a lot of advice. I would make my resume pretty as ****. It is the one thing that you can give a prospective employers that will give them a look into your attention to detail and work ethic. if you gave me a resume with one line of the 2nd page you are not getting an interview. Btw, I'm sorry about your Mom, I hope everything works out
    Problem is that it might be too late to sign up for scholarships. I applied for financial aid but since they use your taxes from the year before, they don't take into account any of what's happened since the new calendar year. Doesn't take into account my moms bills/that she's not working this year. My mom had told me 2 days before school started (today) that we wouldn't be able to afford it which pretty much gives me zero time to scramble and try to work something out or even apply for the free college initiative that was put into effect.

That seems a little counter intuitive, no?

I mean I'm not necessarily applying to supermarket jobs - that's just the experience I have. ive done the whole meet the manager thing, it usually results in them saying that you're not what they're looking for.

I don't have a lot of college activities either, my years have been spent working and studying lol

Would you be opposed to going back to the supermarket, especially the one you worked for before? Networking is probably the single most important part of the working life. Who and how many people you know is how you get jobs. I'd say look into working back where you were before OR see if they could get you a job somewhere else.

Talk to friends to see if they can talk to their boss(es) for you. There is only one job in my life I got solely based on my experience. The only reason I actually gained any of that experience was through my mom getting me in as the medical record keeper at the agency she worked for. I've been within that field and advanced ever since.

Get help getting into a place and from that point on, it's on you to build yourself up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    yeah a resume seems a bit weird for a supermarket anyway. Do they make you submit a resume to bag groceries? I thought it would be just an application. college work show skills needed for a receptionist type job. the last thing you want is some smuck that cant turn on a computer
    yeah I would think an application would suffice for grocery store entry level, or receptionist.

The receptionist job, if you have a college application, you probably won't be there long. But, many receptionist jobs can turn over 10 times a year, and it doesn't matter I guess.

That seems a little counter intuitive, no?

I mean I'm not necessarily applying to supermarket jobs - that's just the experience I have. ive done the whole meet the manager thing, it usually results in them saying that you're not what they're looking for.

I don't have a lot of college activities either, my years have been spent working and studying lol
    have you asked them to tell you what they are looking for?

have you asked them to tell you what they are looking for?
    It usually results in them saying they want somebody with more experience or somebody who can work night shifts.

It's been happening a lot since minimum wage went up, people just want more qualified people.

I was considering going back to the supermarket as koldjerky suggested that's kind of a last resort job. They paid minimum wage and took out union dues which made 30 hour weeks come out to less than 200 at the time. The most accessible yet lower paying jobs are in gas stations, supermarkets and restauarants. Even food service now pays higher but usually look for people with 2+ years of experience.

That's a safe route but I feel like it doesn't get you anywhere.

Volunteer work helps and is easy experience.

Man entry level work requires work experience now. Some of the small business guys here or people who may work in corporate work can tell you the same.

Think of it like this. Say 100 people graduate from your program with you and all apply for the same job, the resume looks the exact same. What is going to make you stand out? Just volunteer somewhere and get some experience that way.

When I was in university, I volunteered. Through that volunteer work, I got a part time job at the university while still getting my degree. When I got done my degree, the part time work experience is what captured the attention of my current employer. You have to get a step ahead of your competition my dude.

The Lost Boys of PSD

It usually results in them saying they want somebody with more experience or somebody who can work night shifts.

It's been happening a lot since minimum wage went up, people just want more qualified people.

I was considering going back to the supermarket as koldjerky suggested that's kind of a last resort job. They paid minimum wage and took out union dues which made 30 hour weeks come out to less than 200 at the time. The most accessible yet lower paying jobs are in gas stations, supermarkets and restauarants. Even food service now pays higher but usually look for people with 2+ years of experience.

That's a safe route but I feel like it doesn't get you anywhere.
    It's for sure the safer route. That's why I really would suggest seeing if you know someone who could help you get in somewhere. Hell, half my office came from the same former employer because we all vouched for each other. All about who you know even for entry level type jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Volunteer and network

Always volunteer and network, and take every chance you get until you find yourself drowning in opportunities.

This may sound vague. But it's the tried and true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast