Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

PFF calculates avg. throw time and time of sacks

Here

Ryan is middle of the road in terms of how fast he throws, 2.73 seconds which ties Big Ben for 19th fastest. The thing is the average time it takes for him to get sacked is 2.84. 2.84! I don't know if anyone else out there played O-Line, but it is preached at all levels that you need to be able to give your QB at least 3 seconds. In fact, the average for the league is a little over 3 seconds. More than a little I guess, a huge amount considering Ponder/Brady lie on each end of average with the middle becoming 3.24 seconds. That is almost half a second less time Ryan has to throw than the "average" NFL QB.

That sucks. This line is [probably] playing much worse than we all thought. Of course, maybe it's because Ryan's eyes are always downfield. Always. He's not one to run around behind the LoS, he's one to drift around the pocket and that could make the average lower, but even the more mobile QB's seem to be evenly distributed amongst the list.

Let's hope that Ryan's pocket presence and ability to make quick throws under pressure don't mask the fact to the FO that we need lineman immediately.

vCash
    Good find. I wonder how much of it is sub-par pass protection from the backs, including the now-former starting fullback. It could also be the price for giving him autonomy in the no-huddle. He might be calling more 10-15 yard plays instead of the short stuff, thanks to the RBs not putting this offense in more favorable down-and-distance situations.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 11-10-2012 at 11:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Good find. I wonder how much of it is sub-par pass protection from the backs, including the now-former starting fullback. It could also be the price for giving him autonomy in the no-huddle. He might be calling more 10-15 yard plays instead of the short stuff, thanks to the RBs not putting this offense in more favorable down-and-distance situations.
    That's a good point. Gonzalez certainly doesn't block and when Palmer was out that meant not much from Gallarda or whoever was playing #2 TE. Then you consider Turner is actually running routes this season, and quite consistently. We don't use more than Polite very often and sometimes not even that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Nivar
    That's a good point. Gonzalez certainly doesn't block and when Palmer was out that meant not much from Gallarda or whoever was playing #2 TE. Then you consider Turner is actually running routes this season, and quite consistently. We don't use more than Polite very often and sometimes not even that.
    Yeah, we talked about that before, I can't remember which thread, think it was after the game vs Oakland. The combination of Palmer's absence and Koetter/Ryan sending the backs out more often lead to breakdowns (and turnovers). Key injuries have forced them to make a lot of changes on the fly, but that's how it goes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Yeah, we talked about that before, I can't remember which thread, think it was after the game vs Oakland. The combination of Palmer's absence and Koetter/Ryan sending the backs out more often lead to breakdowns (and turnovers). Key injuries have forced them to make a lot of changes on the fly, but that's how it goes.
    Sounds familiar. Usually when I see pass blocking woes I think automatically of Baker and Clabo.