• Keep them both

2 9.09%
  • Trade them both

4 18.18%
  • Trade Dickey, I think he gets back more in return

6 27.27%
  • Trade Niese, I think he gets back more in return

4 18.18%
  • I would trade Dickey and keep Niese even though I think Niese can fetch a better return

4 18.18%
  • I would trade Niese and keep Dickey even though I think we can get more talent by trading Dickey

2 9.09%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    LOL right back to you, I'm not impressed by a .322 ISO from a 21 year old in the easy offense Pioneer League. Nor am I impressed by his offensive production in the CAL league, another easy offense league.

His 3% walk rate is pitiful, and you are conparing this guy to Ike? That's funny. He's not going to hit for a high average in the big leagues if he can't take a pitch. And he's not a good 1B either, more of a DH.

In fact, Ike was definitely better than Cron at the same age.

Cowart is a guy that's 2 years away imo, so I don't see how that attracts the Mets, I'm sure they are lookig for guys closer to the big leagues. If they gave us Bourjos, Cowart, and Richards, I'd make the deal.
    LOL, is funny how you are impressed by lesser players, but only because you bring them up.

The walk rates are a bad sign, but again the guy does not K and he hits for power and has everywhere he has played period. If he had struggled to hit for power in those leagues then it would be an issue, but he mashed as he was supposed to.

Also Baseball America projects to be an adequate first baseman, not great, but not awful either.

...and btw what has Ike done over a whole year that somehow he has become this star player that a guy who is projected to hit as many homers as him can't be compared to him?

vCash

Niese for Either

Would you trade Jon Niese for Andre Either?

If the Dodgers wanted more who would you include ?

If the trade were made , then sign either Ross or Swisher to play LF and live with Don Decker or Nieuwenhuis in CF ....( Sorry for the spelling ).

vCash
    The Dodgers have enough left handed pitching now, they won the bid for Hyun-Jin Ryu and have Capuano, Lilly to go along with Kershaw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    LOL, is funny how you are impressed by lesser players, but only because you bring them up.

The walk rates are a bad sign, but again the guy does not K and he hits for power and has everywhere he has played period. If he had struggled to hit for power in those leagues then it would be an issue, but he mashed as he was supposed to.

Also Baseball America projects to be an adequate first baseman, not great, but not awful either.

...and btw what has Ike done over a whole year that somehow he has become this star player that a guy who is projected to hit as many homers as him can't be compared to him?
    It's funny that you are intrigued by a 1st baseman that won't be better than Ike overall. Cron had 19 ****ing errors at 1ST BASE! LOL! He will be a DH where he belongs.

Cron's wRC+ was 113 this year. Wow that is so impressive. "Mashing" as he was supposed to be would be at least a .950 OPS in such an easy offense league. Lets compare the two at age 22 in their 2nd season:

Cron 2012 in CAL(.273/.342/.427): .292/.327/.516, 113 wRC+
    Ike 2009 in FSL(.252/.322/.363): .288/.376/.486, 148 wRC+
    Ike 2009 in EL(.258/.332/.385): .309/.386/.565, 164 wRC+

No thank you. I'll keep Ike and look elsewhere for players. We all know the first half was a fluke and he was looking like star before the injury. Cron's plate discipline is terrible.

vCash
    ...and even if you decide to keep Ike, Cron can be flipped, the point is that you are not going to get much better guys than him in a trade for Dickey or Niese. Cron has tons of power and he can hit for average as well, plate discipline can be improved and Cron has walked at a better rate than he did this past year and is not unreasonable to think that he can walk at around 7% of the time.

vCash
    I think it's unreasonable to think that because he played in the the rookie Pioneer League(.278/.349/.443) where he was supposed to tear up, He wouldn't have done that in Brooklyn.(.250/.328/.354) a more suitable league for a 1st round "masher." He's going to be a DH, so his value is limited.

I'd rather go for a package like Bourjos, Richards, and Cowart if we're dealing with the Angels.

vCash
    i would hate to get Bourjos...we already have him in Den Dekker...Boujous is just a 4th OF type

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    i would hate to get Bourjos...we already have him in Den Dekker...Boujous is just a 4th OF type
    Don't insult Bourjos like that.

vCash
    I think it's unreasonable to think that because he played in the the rookie Pioneer League(.278/.349/.443) where he was supposed to tear up, He wouldn't have done that in Brooklyn.(.250/.328/.354) a more suitable league for a 1st round "masher." He's going to be a DH, so his value is limited.

I'd rather go for a package like Bourjos, Richards, and Cowart if we're dealing with the Angels.
    ...and that is fine, but you are the one that said that they had nothing that interest you and I mention guys that can be had for Niese or Dickey from them.

vCash
    Any team in baseball could trade for Niese. Can't say the same for Dickey.
    Dickey is very affordable at 5 million. Every team in MLB can afford that.

Niese will get a solid return, his best years are ahead of him. Throw in he is under control for quite a few years, team will make a sizable offer to try to attain him.
    I personally think Niese has greater trade value.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    ...and that is fine, but you are the one that said that they had nothing that interest you and I mention guys that can be had for Niese or Dickey from them.
    They aren't my first choices that's for sure, but it's a package worth considering.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Dickey is very affordable at 5 million. Every team in MLB can afford that.

Niese will get a solid return, his best years are ahead of him. Throw in he is under control for quite a few years, team will make a sizable offer to try to attain him.
    I personally think Niese has greater trade value.
    I agree with your whole post.

I think Niese has the greater trade value as well. I say that every team in baseball could trade for Niese because even the teams not contending would be interested in him because of his long-term potential and contract.

Only teams looking to contend would trade for Dickey.

vCash
    Niese for Carlos Santana?

http://metsblog.com/qa/email-qa-jon-...a-straight-up/

Jon Pace sent the following email:

What do you think of trading Jon Niese straight up for Indians’ C Carlos Santana? The Indians want starting pitching, the Mets want a catcher who can hit. Both players are signed to team friendly contracts, and both are the same age. It’s a sacrifice for both teams but also at the same time helps them.

Santana, 26, hit .252 with a .365 OBP, 16 home runs and 76 RBI in 143 games in 2012. He hit 27 home runs and 79 RBI in 2012.

Santana signed a five-year, $21 million contract extension with the Indians in April. He earned $500,000 in 2012, will earn $550,000 in 2013, $3.5 million in 2014, $6 million in 2015, and $8.25 million in 2016. The Indians hold a $12 million option on Santana with a $1.2 million buyout for the 2017 season.

Niese signed a five-year, $25.5 million contract extension through 2016 back in April. He earned $769,500 in 2012, will earn $3 million in 2013, $5 million in 2014, $7 million in 2015, and $9 million in 2016. The team holds two options on Niese – his option for 2017 is for $10 million and his option for 2018 is for $11 million.

Michael Baron, MetsBlog.com

It’s an interesting idea, Jon, and I’d probably make this deal. In fact, Santana will earn $2.5 million less than Niese in 2013, which could offer the Mets even more flexibility in the short-term.

Santana is a switch hitter who can not only catch, but play first base as well. That versatility would open up a lot of possibilities for the Mets, as it would allow Ike Davis to get days off without the team losing so much offense all while giving Santana a break from behind the plate. As you said, he can hit, he gets on base, and provides a long-term answer for the Mets behind the plate. Interestingly enough, he struggles against right-handed pitching although he has more power from the left side of the plate than he does on the right side. But he’s a fit for the Mets, and pretty much anyone who is shopping for a catcher.

The problem is, Jon, in any trade, it takes two to tango. And it’s hard to envision the Indians pulling the trigger here, assuming the Mets were to approach them about it. As difficult as it is to develop pitching, it’s even harder to develop catching, especially someone like Santana who can do a lot of things offensively. The Indians might be getting an up and coming left-handed pitcher, but they might be creating an even bigger hole by trading Santana than the one they would fill by acquiring Niese.

vCash
    Trade Dickey to Jays for Marisnick, Justin Nicolino, Arbencibia
    Sign a OF in 2014.

C: Abrencibia
    1B: Ike Davis
    2B: Murphy/Flores/Valdespin
    3B: Wright
    SS: Tejada
    RF: Puello/Kirk
    CF: Jake Marisnick
    LF: Morse/Pence/Hart

SP: Matt Harvey