• Keep them both

2 9.09%
  • Trade them both

4 18.18%
  • Trade Dickey, I think he gets back more in return

6 27.27%
  • Trade Niese, I think he gets back more in return

4 18.18%
  • I would trade Dickey and keep Niese even though I think Niese can fetch a better return

4 18.18%
  • I would trade Niese and keep Dickey even though I think we can get more talent by trading Dickey

2 9.09%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I disagree. Niese had a 3.40 ERA as a 25 year old and had very good peripherals the last two years. He will net more because there is a larger market for young 25 year old lefty under a great contract.
    More team might be interested, but that does not mean that they are willing to part with better talent. A team might think they can land Niese and give up less than they would for a guy that has been an Ace for the last 3 years. There is a great market for Dickey as well, but as of now his value is limited on the fact that he will be a free agent after this year, but if again if a team can resign him for another 3 years on top of this year they might be more willing to give up better talent for him.

vCash
    It really depends on who we're trading them to. If it's to a team that's contending for the World Series every year, then Dickey would bring in a larger load, but if the trade partner is a team on the brink of contention with a young team, like the Royals or Pirates, then, in my opinion, we could get more for Niese.

vCash
    A team that thinks they are an ace away from a championship might be more willing to deal for Dickey and deal some of their best prospects for him. Those teams usually are the ones that over pay. A team like the Tigers or Dodgers, not that they need an ace, but another one to go along with their best pitcher. Also a team like the O's, Angels and Texas who have money to spend and care more abut winning now.

Though a team like the Pirates might be more willing to deal for a Niese because his price tag is better suited for them.

Like I said it all depends on the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    It really depends on who we're trading them to. If it's to a team that's contending for the World Series every year, then Dickey would bring in a larger load, but if the trade partner is a team on the brink of contention with a young team, like the Royals or Pirates, then, in my opinion, we could get more for Niese.
    Yup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Dickey is also the soon to be defending cy young award winner and has also has been better than Niese all of the past 3 seasons.
    But more importantly, he's only under contract for one season while Niese is under contract for 6. I'll take a guaranteed #2/#3 for 6 years over a 38 year old ace for one year, unless I am trying to win a WS that year.

Bigger market usually equals more talent in return.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    A team that thinks they are an ace away from a championship might be more willing to deal for Dickey and deal some of their best prospects for him. Those teams usually are the ones that over pay. A team like the Tigers or Dodgers, not that they need an ace, but another one to go along with their best pitcher. Also a team like the O's, Angels and Texas who have money to spend and care more abut winning now.

Though a team like the Pirates might be more willing to deal for a Niese because his price tag is better suited for them.

Like I said it all depends on the team.
    Any team in baseball could trade for Niese. Can't say the same for Dickey.

vCash
    More team might be interested, but that does not mean that they are willing to part with better talent. A team might think they can land Niese and give up less than they would for a guy that has been an Ace for the last 3 years. There is a great market for Dickey as well, but as of now his value is limited on the fact that he will be a free agent after this year, but if again if a team can resign him for another 3 years on top of this year they might be more willing to give up better talent for him.
    You can't get a 25 year old left-handed #2/#3 starter under contract for 6 years for anything less than a stellar package.

vCash
    Any team in baseball could trade for Niese. Can't say the same for Dickey.
    ...and that does not mean that any team in baseball is more willing to give up top tier prospects for Niese than for Dickey. The teams that are willing to deal for Dickey might be more aggressive and willing to part with better talent because he is more of a given than Niese.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    There's that age thing again.

What will make it difficult to get trade value for Dickey is the obstacle that any team acquiring him will have to pay a fortune for his salary.

No team wants to pay a king's ransom in cash for a player along with a boatload of talent.

Usually it's one or the other.
    I thought you said his 38 is like being 30 because he is a knuckle ball pitcher. Clearly if you can see him being that productive that much longer baseball people can see that as well and teams won't care what they pay him.

vCash
    You can't get a 25 year old left-handed #2/#3 starter under contract for 6 years for anything less than a stellar package.
    Maybe you can when you have been as inconsistent as Niese.

vCash
    ...and again he is not an ace, so teams will not be willing to give the Mets a stellar package, is not like he is Cole Hamels . It's Jon Niese dude, a guy that until this year would be awful in the second half and get hurt as well.

...and before we hear Gio Gonzalez name, he had 2 excellent years of 200 innings pitched for the A's.

vCash
    This is the thing, Niese has value for sure, but he has never pitched over 200 innings, has had only 1 real good year as well.

Dickey has been an ace for 3 years now and if a team gets a window to extend him am sure they would be willing to give up some real good talent as well. Also Dickey is not going to cost a team 60 million for 4 years or 5/75. Realistically 3/36 is what he will get on top of the 5 million for 2013 or 4/45.

vCash
    How has he been inconsistent? He's gotten better every season and just completed his age 25 season.

vCash
    ...and again he is not an ace, so teams will not be willing to give the Mets a stellar package, is not like he is Cole Hamels . It's Jon Niese dude, a guy that until this year would be awful in the second half and get hurt as well.

...and before we hear Gio Gonzalez name, he had 2 excellent years of 200 innings pitched for the A's.
    He doesn't need to be, he's still incredibly value to every team in baseball including the Mets. He had the 25th best ERA in baseball, and the 15th best xFIP in 2011. Left-handers improve with age.

vCash
    Not all of them do, do you remember Perez? did Zito improved with age?

Nobody is saying he does not have value, but his value is limited by how good he is, as of now he is a mid rotation guy at best, so why teams will be willing to give up a stellar package for for a mid rotation guy? He is not an ace or has pitched like an ace for teams to be willing to par with some of their best prospects just for Niese. Would the Mets be willing to trade Harvey and others for Niese if he was in another team?, so why would a team be willing to trade a prospect like Harvey let alone 2-3 guys for Niese?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast