Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: What would you do with Niese/Dickey

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep them both

    2 9.09%
  • Trade them both

    4 18.18%
  • Trade Dickey, I think he gets back more in return

    6 27.27%
  • Trade Niese, I think he gets back more in return

    4 18.18%
  • I would trade Dickey and keep Niese even though I think Niese can fetch a better return

    4 18.18%
  • I would trade Niese and keep Dickey even though I think we can get more talent by trading Dickey

    2 9.09%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 82
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,560
    vCash
    1500

    Niese vs. Dickey: Thoughts on trade rumors?

    Personally I would rather keep Niese pretty much at all costs. He's under team control for a while, relatively cheap, young talented lefty who can be in his prime at the same time as Harvey and Wheeler are. Dickey has been a blessing for us, may be one of the franchises most memorable players of all time despite his short tenure.

    Who would you rather trade?

    Who gets back more value in return?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,638
    vCash
    1500
    I would rather trade Dickey, and it's not even close.

    Dickey is going to be a FA next year, and is 38 years old. I know he is a knuckler, but still. He had injuries the past two seasons too, even though he was able to pitch through it.

    Niese however would get more in deal imo for the reasons you stated. He's young, left-handed, and under contract for 6 more seasons with all options included.

    Dickey could bring back a nice haul too, so I would deal him. We are not ready to compete 100% yet.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500
    I'd keep Niese without question. He's a long range investment who will continue to improve. Dickey is at his highest trade value right now. I don't believe he will be a free agent next year because whichever team he is with in 2013 will likely sign him to an extension. But I do believe Dickey will bring back the better package of players.

    Go Sandy.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,638
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    I'd keep Niese without question. He's a long range investment who will continue to improve. Dickey is at his highest trade value right now. I don't believe he will be a free agent next year because whichever team he is with in 2013 will likely sign him to an extension. But I do believe Dickey will bring back the better package of players.

    Go Sandy.
    No way.

    Niese is under contract for 6 years compared to 1 year for Dickey.

    Dickey is 38, Niese is 26.

    Niese will get more in a trade.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    No way.

    Niese is under contract for 6 years compared to 1 year for Dickey.

    Dickey is 38, Niese is 26.

    Niese will get more in a trade.
    There's that age thing again.

    What will make it difficult to get trade value for Dickey is the obstacle that any team acquiring him will have to pay a fortune for his salary.

    No team wants to pay a king's ransom in cash for a player along with a boatload of talent.

    Usually it's one or the other.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 11-09-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    79,483
    vCash
    1500
    I dunno if Niese would net you a better package, Dickey is the better pitcher and while Niese is younger he is more of a risk imo still because he has had 1 good year, while Dickey has had 3 in a row.

    If the team that would trade for Dickey got a window to extend him, am sure that package could be better than what they get for Niese would be.

    Depends on the team as well imo.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    248
    vCash
    1500
    I would prefer the Mets to keep Niese and trade Dickey. I think Niese is just beginning to scratch the surface on his ability and will be a consistent 16 game winner with a sub 4.00 ERA. I was initially against trading either one of them but I know that if the Mets are going to ever contend anytime soon, they must trade pieces in order to get more talent to build around. That is why I would understand if they traded Wright, even though I don't want them to.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,638
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    There's that age thing again.

    What will make it difficult to get trade value for Dickey is the obstacle that any team acquiring him will have to pay a fortune for his salary.

    No team wants to pay a king's ransom for a player in cash along with a boatload of talent.

    Usually it's one or the other.
    Dickey won't cost a King's ransom so there goes that theory. I don't think $12M-$15M is that much for someone who could pitch like an ace. Only reason why we shouldn't keep him is because we aren't geared to win now and need multiple pieces.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,638
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I dunno if Niese would net you a better package, Dickey is the better pitcher and while Niese is younger he is more of a risk imo still because he has had 1 good year, while Dickey has had 3 in a row.

    If the team that would trade for Dickey got a window to extend him, am sure that package could be better than what they get for Niese would be.

    Depends on the team as well imo.
    He is left-handed, 26, and under contract for 6 years at a nice rate. He will net more.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    79,483
    vCash
    1500
    Again a trade would not just be made on the fact that he is a young left handed pitcher and under contract.

    A deal would be made based on how good he is, Niese is all that you mention but he is not an ace, but a nice middle of the rotation guy. Dickey is an ace and has been for 3 years now.

    If a team is given the chance to sign Dickey to a 3 year deal am pretty sure they would be willing to give more than they would for Niese and as I said depends on the team. A team that want a top of the rotation guy might be more willing to give more for Dickey than for Niese. A team looking for a young affordable pitcher to go along with their ace or top of the rotation guys might be more willing to give more to get Niese than Dickey.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    24,293
    vCash
    1500
    I know the better choice is to keep Niese and trade Dickey. But I really want to hold onto Dickey. He was just so much fun to watch.

    If we had to deal one I would like to deal Niese, I think you can get more for him because of his age and season. Although I hope we keep both.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,638
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Again a trade would not just be made on the fact that he is a young left handed pitcher and under contract.

    A deal would be made based on how good he is, Niese is all that you mention but he is not an ace, but a nice middle of the rotation guy. Dickey is an ace and has been for 3 years now.

    If a team is given the chance to sign Dickey to a 3 year deal am pretty sure they would be willing to give more than they would for Niese and as I said depends on the team. A team that want a top of the rotation guy might be more willing to give more for Dickey than for Niese. A team looking for a young affordable pitcher to go along with their ace or top of the rotation guys might be more willing to give more to get Niese than Dickey.
    I disagree. Niese had a 3.40 ERA as a 25 year old and had very good peripherals the last two years. He will net more because there is a larger market for young 25 year old lefty under a great contract.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Sentinel Island
    Posts
    5,144
    vCash
    1500
    If you are going to trade Niese, trade Dickey as well....which is what I think could very well happen.

    They could easily receive up to 6 players, something along the lines of 1 to 2 MLB ready players, 2 top spects, and 2 mid spects.

    I would think just Niese alone would bring you in 4 players, especially with how in demand pitchers like him are.
    FC Bayern Munchen

    New York Yankees



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    I think we could get back someone like we did in the Beltran trade for Dickey, like a one for one, with the return being a team's top prospect. For Niese, we wouldn't get a top 'spect, but we'd get back a higher quantity of young players.

    I say trade Dickey because he could get us a future star and we'd be saving a lot of money. It also give him a chance to win, which he deserves at this point.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,560
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    He is left-handed, 26, and under contract for 6 years at a nice rate. He will net more.
    Dickey is also the soon to be defending cy young award winner and has also has been better than Niese all of the past 3 seasons.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •