Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Castro for Upton Article

Let me begin by saying this is about as idiotic as they come. But, since it was written and I'm bored with the Liriano offer, return of Dempster and failed Haren deal threads, I figured I'd throw this out there for people to devour Rogers.

His basic premise is that even though we have no pitching we shoud unload Castro for a talented but somewhat meandering Upton because we have Baez tearing it up in the Arizona Fall League despite needing much improvement. If Castro could get us a pitching haul I might consider it, but sure as hell not for Upton. At least he gets to some semblance of sanity at the very end of the article when he suggests a left side of Baez and Castro in a few years -- which hopefully we'll have developed OF talent and added/developed pitching. So, everyone have fun shredding Phil Rogers...

Phil Rogers

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. Go ahead, Theo Epstein.

Make that splash your fans have been waiting for since you were hired. Trade Starlin Castro for Justin Upton.

Javier Baez has your back.

At 22, Castro is far from a polished product. But he's also probably the best young shortstop in baseball. Name someone better. I tried, and can't.

That's good news for the Cubs. Even better is that Baez, 20 next month, it about to push Castro hard.

"He is going to be a star,'' a longtime baseball executive said Thursday. "His BP stood out in the (Arizona Fall League). His bat speed is extraordinary. I can see him getting better. He will be a far more impactful player than Castro.''

While Castro recently signed a seven-year, $60 million contract, he is not exempt from trade rumors. There are only a few whispers now, but you soon may hear how the Cubs are as good of a fit with the Diamondbacks for Upton as the Rangers are.

The Diamondbacks have targeted Texas as a possible place to move the 25-year-old right fielder, figuring it can land an impact shortstop in Elvis Andrus or 19-year-old Jurickson Profar while giving the Rangers a middle-of-the-order bat to replace Josh Hamilton. But Rangers sources say they aren't interested in dealing Andrus or Profar at this point, in part because they still think they can re-sign Hamilton.

Castro, signed through 2019, when his salary will reach $11 million - with an option for '20 at $16 million - would have much more trade value than Andrus and maybe as much as Profar. But do the Cubs want Upton?

It doesn't appear they are aggressively pursuing him, but why not? He's not one of those "post-prime'' players Epstein vows to avoid and he's signed for three years. His upside, like that of Baez, remains near the top of the charts according to scouts, many of whom still see him as a potential 40-homer, high-average hitter.

He has gone stale in Arizona and manager Kirk Gibson seems to want him gone. It's an opportunity for someone, and Epstein should see him as a player who could shorten the Cubs' rebuilding period and still be around to play alongside Jorge Soler, Albert Almora and Baez.

As far as the timing on the Cubs' end, they could take him for a test drive in 2013 and then either give him a huge extension locking him up through 2019 and beyond or trade him for pitching. They would need a place-holder at shortstop while Baez finishes the climb from high-A Daytona, but that's a minor detail and there is no shortage of options.

There aren't many players like Baez.

He has plenty to learn like improving his plate discipline and answering questions about his lateral range but he hit four homers and drove in 16 in the 14 AFL games he played before fracturing the tip of his left thumb. Oh, and he had a steal of home, breaking for the plate when the pitcher threw to first base.

Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer says he has been impressed with Baez's defense, and anyone who has seen him raves about his potential as a hitter. The executive I quoted earlier said he has been watching him since 2009, when he was a sophomore at Arlington Country Day School in Jacksonville, Fla., and has seen him every year since.

The more people see Baez, the more they like him. That hasn't been the case with Upton.

One executive says he's "a nice guy to take a risk on, but he hasn't displayed consistency.'' He says he could be Matt Kemp but doesn't have the "same focus and passion'' as the Dodgers' superstar.

Maybe he's not the right guy for the Cubs. Maybe they should hold onto their ammunition until someone even better comes onto the market. Or maybe they should just plan to play Castro and Baez next to each other for a decade, one at shortstop, the other at third base.

It's always nice to have options, and the combination of Baez and Castro gives the Cubs some very attractive ones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chi416 View Post
    Let me begin by saying this is about as idiotic as they come. But, since it was written and I'm bored with the Liriano offer, return of Dempster and failed Haren deal threads, I figured I'd throw this out there for people to devour Rogers.

His basic premise is that even though we have no pitching we shoud unload Castro for a talented but somewhat meandering Upton because we have Baez tearing it up in the Arizona Fall League despite needing much improvement. If Castro could get us a pitching haul I might consider it, but sure as hell not for Upton. At least he gets to some semblance of sanity at the very end of the article when he suggests a left side of Baez and Castro in a few years -- which hopefully we'll have developed OF talent and added/developed pitching. So, everyone have fun shredding Phil Rogers...

Phil Rogers

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. Go ahead, Theo Epstein.

Make that splash your fans have been waiting for since you were hired. Trade Starlin Castro for Justin Upton.

Javier Baez has your back.

At 22, Castro is far from a polished product. But he's also probably the best young shortstop in baseball. Name someone better. I tried, and can't.

That's good news for the Cubs. Even better is that Baez, 20 next month, it about to push Castro hard.

"He is going to be a star,'' a longtime baseball executive said Thursday. "His BP stood out in the (Arizona Fall League). His bat speed is extraordinary. I can see him getting better. He will be a far more impactful player than Castro.''

While Castro recently signed a seven-year, $60 million contract, he is not exempt from trade rumors. There are only a few whispers now, but you soon may hear how the Cubs are as good of a fit with the Diamondbacks for Upton as the Rangers are.

The Diamondbacks have targeted Texas as a possible place to move the 25-year-old right fielder, figuring it can land an impact shortstop in Elvis Andrus or 19-year-old Jurickson Profar while giving the Rangers a middle-of-the-order bat to replace Josh Hamilton. But Rangers sources say they aren't interested in dealing Andrus or Profar at this point, in part because they still think they can re-sign Hamilton.

Castro, signed through 2019, when his salary will reach $11 million - with an option for '20 at $16 million - would have much more trade value than Andrus and maybe as much as Profar. But do the Cubs want Upton?

It doesn't appear they are aggressively pursuing him, but why not? He's not one of those "post-prime'' players Epstein vows to avoid and he's signed for three years. His upside, like that of Baez, remains near the top of the charts according to scouts, many of whom still see him as a potential 40-homer, high-average hitter.

He has gone stale in Arizona and manager Kirk Gibson seems to want him gone. It's an opportunity for someone, and Epstein should see him as a player who could shorten the Cubs' rebuilding period and still be around to play alongside Jorge Soler, Albert Almora and Baez.

As far as the timing on the Cubs' end, they could take him for a test drive in 2013 and then either give him a huge extension locking him up through 2019 and beyond or trade him for pitching. They would need a place-holder at shortstop while Baez finishes the climb from high-A Daytona, but that's a minor detail and there is no shortage of options.

There aren't many players like Baez.

He has plenty to learn like improving his plate discipline and answering questions about his lateral range but he hit four homers and drove in 16 in the 14 AFL games he played before fracturing the tip of his left thumb. Oh, and he had a steal of home, breaking for the plate when the pitcher threw to first base.

Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer says he has been impressed with Baez's defense, and anyone who has seen him raves about his potential as a hitter. The executive I quoted earlier said he has been watching him since 2009, when he was a sophomore at Arlington Country Day School in Jacksonville, Fla., and has seen him every year since.

The more people see Baez, the more they like him. That hasn't been the case with Upton.

One executive says he's "a nice guy to take a risk on, but he hasn't displayed consistency.'' He says he could be Matt Kemp but doesn't have the "same focus and passion'' as the Dodgers' superstar.

Maybe he's not the right guy for the Cubs. Maybe they should hold onto their ammunition until someone even better comes onto the market. Or maybe they should just plan to play Castro and Baez next to each other for a decade, one at shortstop, the other at third base.

It's always nice to have options, and the combination of Baez and Castro gives the Cubs some very attractive ones.
    This has been posted in the free agent thread...just an fyi.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    There are more Javier Baez's in the prospect world than there are Starlin Castros in the MLB world.

vCash
    Most of the prospect lists we've seen so far would disagree that Baez is pushing Castro hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    There are more Javier Baez's in the prospect world than there are Starlin Castros in the MLB world.
    Well said.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    ok lets just think about this... the dbacks manager wants him gone... he has an unknown history of injuries... could have a significant shoulder problem... is older and close to his POST PRIME than Castro... has been inconsistent.... has far less positional value and there are more Upton type players than Castro type players... is more expensive......................... hmmmmm ya idk why this doesn't make sense to me!!!!!

seriously if you guys are that bored go play video games or something.... some of these trades are ridiculous

vCash
    BAEZ and CASTRO CAN COHABITATE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    BAEZ and CASTRO CAN COHABITATE
    Yea, I really don't get this trending idea that we can't keep both if Baez turns out to be an ML asset.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    Step 1: Fill hole in easy-to-fill corner outfield position by creating hole at extremely difficult-to-fill SS positon

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit

vCash
    Upton totally packed it the **** in this season. Called out by his owner for not giving a consistent effort from night to night. Benched nearly a full week at one point.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    If the Cubs called the D'Backs with Castro for Upton, not only would Towers drive Upton to the airport but he'd pack his bags and plan a parade as well...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    If the Cubs called the D'Backs with Castro for Upton, not only would Towers drive Upton to the airport but he'd pack his bags and plan a parade as well...
    One of these years the Cubs fan base will appreciate Castro for the talent he is.

Oh noes at 22 he's not a GGer who piles up HRs and walks...Yuch. Guys like him who do what he's done at the ages he's done it at are, historically, the ones that become your stars and superstars.

vCash
    One of these years the Cubs fan base will appreciate Castro for the talent he is.

Oh noes at 22 he's not a GGer who piles up HRs and walks...Yuch. Guys like him who do what he's done at the ages he's done it at are, historically, the ones that become your stars and superstars.
    I think we all appreciate CASTRO. However some of us are saying that if we were to try to obtain upton they would ask for Castro. Is that really that hard to follow? Not directed at you but I have had to repeat that like 10 Xs already.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Of course they ask for Castro. Anyone talking to them will ak about Castro, he's the only explosive talent on the worst team in the NL. At this point it's probably greeted with a laugh and a wink to a writer before more rational requests are made.

vCash
    Of course they ask for Castro. Anyone talking to them will ak about Castro, he's the only explosive talent on the worst team in the NL. At this point it's probably greeted with a laugh and a wink to a writer before more rational requests are made.
    I know its only been one year, but at this point, I think Rizzo would fit that mold in my book. Not end all but 1.8 WAR in 86 games is pretty impressive to me.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast