Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Boehner: 'Obamacare is the law of the land'

Updated 6 p.m. ET - Republicans' efforts to undo President Barack Obama's health care reform law appear to have come to an end, as House Speaker John Boehner described it Thursday as the "law of the land."

In an interview with ABC News, the nation's top elected Republican seemed to indicate that Congress wouldn't engage in the type of repeated repeal votes the way it had in the past two years. Boehner's office provided a transcript of the exchange:

SAWYER:

A couple of other questions about the agenda now. You have said next year that you would repeal the healthcare vote. That's still your mission?

BOEHNER:

Well, I think the election changes that. It's pretty clear that the president was reelected, Obamacare is the law of the land. I think there are parts of the healthcare law that are gonna be very difficult to implement. And very expensive. And as the time when we're tryin' to find a way to create a path toward a balanced budget everything has to be on the table.

SAWYER:

But you won't be spending the time next year trying to repeal Obamacare?

BOEHNER:

There certainly may be parts of it that we believe-- need to be changed. We may do that. No decisions at this point.

The speaker's pronouncement, if nothing else, signifies a pivot away from Republicans' efforts to showcase for conservatives their doggedness in looking to repeal "Obamacare."

It's also a recognation that the 2009-2010 health care law that came to define Obama's first term in office -- and propel Republicans to a majority in the House -- is here to stay.

A spokesman for Boehner sought to clarify the speaker's comments.

"While ObamaCare is the law of the land, it is costing us jobs and threatening our health care," said Kevin Smith, the speaker's communications director. "Speaker Boehner and House Republicans remain committed to repealing the law, and he said in the interview it would be on the table."

The Supreme Court's summer 2012 ruling upholding the constitutionality of the law disarmed conservatives of one of their best possible chances of defeating the health care law once and for all.

And Mitt Romney's loss on Tuesday meant that Republicans won't have in the White House a president that could severely limit the scope of the law before its key provisions begin to take effect in 2014.
    http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news...id=msnhp&pos=1
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    So we might only see 15 bills repealing the law instead of the 30+ we saw last cycle?
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    wasnt it 44 times?(lol)

vCash
    I think there are parts of the healthcare law that are gonna be very difficult to implement. And very expensive
    It makes me laugh when I see Republicans complaining about something being to expensive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    It makes me laugh when I see Republicans complaining about something being to expensive.
    Because they double down on war and fold on healthcare?

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    'Obamacare is the law of the land'
    So suck it *****es.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    I voted republican for a long time.

they preached fiscal conservatism...and then spent more then the Dems
    they preached a strong military...and then sent us to die so they could war profiteer
    they preached religious values...and then get caught in affairs, or with hookers and coke
    they preach equality of opportunity...and then engage in rigging the market, insider trading, fraud ,monet laundering, etc, etc.

The ideas have their merit, but the poeple who espouse to others to live by them ,seldom do themselves.
    I will not be a patsy to an unethical elite.

vCash
    I said this in another thread and I'll say it here.

Obamacare is necessary and I believe right but people WILL get pissed when they say they don't have a cheaper option for their individual policies. My brother business predicts individual policies will go up dramatically since all insurers will HAVE to consider you a healthy person regardless if you have type 2 diabetes or some other long term disease.

Healthcare cost and jobs will be the 2 biggest issues for the Democrats in 2016.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    I voted republican for a long time.

they preached fiscal conservatism...and then spent more then the Dems
    they preached a strong military...and then sent us to die so they could war profiteer
    they preached religious values...and then get caught in affairs, or with hookers and coke
    they preach equality of opportunity...and then engage in rigging the market, insider trading, fraud ,monet laundering, etc, etc.

The ideas have their merit, but the poeple who espouse to others to live by them ,seldom do themselves.
    I will not be a patsy to an unethical elite.
    Hello strawman, how you doing this fine Friday morning?

vCash
    I really just can't get past this. It's driving me nuts. So annoying.

....not "Obamacare" but the fact that every time I see "Boehner" the voice in my head pronounces it as "boner". Every....damn.....time....
    Last edited by GGGGG-Men; 11-09-2012 at 01:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post

....not "Obamacare" but the fact that ever time I see "Boehner" the voice in my head pronounces it as "boner". Every....damn.....time....
    probably because you don't agree with him. That's pretty natural with our subconscious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post

....not "Obamacare" but the fact that ever time I see "Boehner" the voice in my head pronounces it as "boner". Every....damn.....time....
    Anthony Weiner had a great line about it along the lines of how it's like him calling himself "Anthony Wayner", and how Boehner isn't fooling anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    probably because you don't agree with him. That's pretty natural with our subconscious.
    True. Probably also explains why when I read "Karl Rove" the voice in my head pronounces it as "douchey scumbag maggot".