Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

what did the kings really get in James Johnson?

Hello this is Sneak, the kings fan. I watched the Kings opener and I was so happy to see a new defencive player, James Johnson. Wow! Fantastic defence! But..... that was the only thing positive you could say. As soon as he made his 4 steals he'ld give it right back in a turn over. He also looked very timid shooting. And from the jumpers he put up I could see why. Ohhhwch! They sagged off him on the offencive end and made it impossible to do anything on that end of the floor.
    My question is to you that know him better then i; is that him? Or is he better? Please tell the the whole story so I can understand. Thanks.

vCash
    defensively he can be a really good sf in the nba.. hes athletic enough to guard smaller faster players and hes strong enough to guard pf's..however his offense is limited.

vCash
    He also seems to be a bit of a headcase.

vCash
    He'll take more shots than needed.

vCash
    like you said.. a tons of steals and blks that sadly translate into turnovers...he was working on his shot if i am not mistake with a raptors coach and he seemed to get it going..unfortunately throughout the season, he kept taking dumb shots after shots and thought he's rudy gay all of a sudden and then got into coach casey's head and created some problems for the team and that is why he was shipped out. he's a good defensive stopper, actually an elite defensive stopper who can guard the toughest of 2's and 3's but his newly offensively charged nature will lead you to see james johson 3-12 shooting, 6 rebounds, 0 assists, 4 steals and 4 blks with about 4-6 turnovers... now the kinda guy who you want to be turning the ball over because he's offensively limited..if you're tunring the ball over 4 times in 30 mins.. the stats should be >10pts, >7 assissts and certainly some 3's and FT attempts.. thats just my opinion..people here can correct me if they like

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sneak View Post
    Hello this is Sneak, the kings fan. I watched the Kings opener and I was so happy to see a new defencive player, James Johnson. Wow! Fantastic defence! But..... that was the only thing positive you could say. As soon as he made his 4 steals he'ld give it right back in a turn over. He also looked very timid shooting. And from the jumpers he put up I could see why. Ohhhwch! They sagged off him on the offencive end and made it impossible to do anything on that end of the floor.
    My question is to you that know him better then i; is that him? Or is he better? Please tell the the whole story so I can understand. Thanks.
    Potential defensive stud.
    Offensive limitations (shooting, decision making).
    Alleged character issues.

A lot of fans on this board actually quite liked him last year for some of the great defensive plays he made, but it doesn't seem like our management liked him at all (see "alleged character issues).

vCash
    had a run in w/ coach casey late last season ( allegedly solved closed doors)... resulting to him being benched the last part of the season & then being traded for virtually nothing this off season

vCash
    imo, he is an athletic PF who can play lock down d (at the 3 and the 4) and rebound in traffic. He brings toughness and won't back down from anyone. When you keep him near the paint he can be effective offensively, but he isn't going to be a good outside shooter any time soon, and he makes a lot of bad decisions when he tries to play guard on fast breaks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Potential defensive stud.
    Offensive limitations (shooting, decision making).
    Alleged character issues.

A lot of fans on this board actually quite liked him last year for some of the great defensive plays he made, but it doesn't seem like our management liked him at all (see "alleged character issues).
    rumor is that jj smoked up before games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronicle View Post
    rumor is that jj smoked up before games
    Ya, I've heard the rumours. There was definitely something going on behind the scenes. Not sure we'll ever hear confirmation on it.

vCash
    He was fun to watch when he was locked in defensively, and equally frustrating when he was on the offensive side of the floor. Really poor decision making. Never really bought into the concept that he can use his above average athleticism to get some easy buckets through movement. Instead would get the ball, and put up some ridiculous shots. As the others have said, he would get a steal or a block, and then try for the JJ highlight reels instead of playing smart. He will give you headaches as well as get your heart pumping.

All in all, a decent pickup for the kings seeing as how we got next to nothin in return.

vCash
    good defender, very limited offense, is probably lovin some Cali cronic down there lol

vCash
    Thanks for the feed back. That was funny spread! Well it sounds like he hit every thing in his first game; besides the highlight play. Thanks again.

vCash
    He is great defensively. Apparently smokes a lot of pot too. I wish we still had him. You guys got a steal.

vCash
    if JJ can fix his head, he'll be an extremely valuable pickup for you. If not, he'll be decent, but may not last long in the organization. In Toronto, his 'headcase-ness' went unnoticed by the fans for a long time until something snapped

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast