Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Cubs interested in Michael Bourn

The Chicago Cubs have had conversations with free agent centerfielder Michael Bourn's agent, according to a major league source.

Bourn, whose agent, Scott Boras, will be seeking more than $100 million for the speedy outfielder, may not be an obvious fit for the rebuilding Cubs, but they would be looking at him much the same way the Washington Nationals viewed Jayson Werth. The Nationals made a statement two years ago when they overpaid the marketplace in order to establish a winning mentality before the team was ready to win .

The Cubs might view a player like Bourn as a leadoff man and centerfielder who could add runs on offense and take them away in the outfield. Farm system players such as Brett Jackson and Jorge Soler are not ready to make an impact on the Cubs roster, making the team buyers this offseason.

“We do have to address our outfield and we will look to do that,” Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said in a phone conference with reporters on Friday. “We like our prospects, but when they are as far away as some of those guys are you can’t think about those guys. You have to think about your team now.”

At 31, Bourn is still an impact leadoff man who has led the league in stolen bases three times. With 42 stolen bases and a league-leading 383 putouts last season with the Atlanta Braves, the multi-talented veteran would bring the numbers and the clubhouse leadership that could help the Cubs begin to turn the corner after a 101-loss season.

The Cubs have a lot of payroll flexibility with more than $50 million coming off the books from the 2012 season. The team has around $75 million in payroll commitments for 2013.

Neither the Cubs nor Boras would comment on Bourn when contacted.

“There are a number of players we will be talking to over the next few weeks,” Hoyer said in his media phone conference.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs...medium=twitter

Marlin strikes again.

vCash
    Haven't been around much, what did Marlin say?

vCash

vCash
    I'm not a fan of signing a guy who depends on speed through his age 37 season
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Much appreciated. Marlin is the man.

vCash
    Umm...Pretty sure Bourn is 29 not 31...

vCash
    It'd be 36, my bad...ABTY said that Bourn would want essentially a 7 year deal
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Yeah, Bourn turns 30 in a month.

vCash
    I was more referring to the article:

At 31, Bourn is still an impact leadoff man who has led the league in stolen bases three times.

Levine...

vCash
    If the Cubs are going to spend money on an outfielder, I'd rather they go after Swisher.

vCash
    As much as I wanted to be more active in free agency this contract would scare me. I think Upton would have been the better buy. If we are going to spend that much on a position player id prefer if the player had some pop in his bat. I did like what I heard from hoyer though. Hopefully they follow through

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toki_wartooth View Post
    If the Cubs are going to spend money on an outfielder, I'd rather they go after Swisher.
    Over Bourne??? I would not spend big COIN on any OF that is currently a FA other than Josh Hamilton. The others are good players and are upgrades to what we currently have but if the cash is too rich for what we are trying to do I will pass.

Big coin meaning 14 mill or more....if you pay Bourne 15 million you might as well go for broke and sign Hamilton and put DD in CF.
    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    this seems so odd to me. Is the FO sandbagging this whole time? Why invest in Bourn at 30 when everything we read from them is about rebuilding from the ground up...I like Bourn..he is exactly what we need..an OF with great OBP and defense. Can be a force in the leadoff spot but...consider me puzzled.

I think this offseason is going to shock all of us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Over Bourne??? I would not spend big COIN on any OF that is currently a FA other than Josh Hamilton. The others are good players and are upgrades to what we currently have but if the cash is too rich for what we are trying to do I will pass.

Big coin meaning 14 mill or more....if you pay Bourne 15 million you might as well go for broke and sign Hamilton and put DD in CF.
    I guess I was thinking about those two players in the same price range, but now that you say 15 for Bourn I see your point. Does Swisher fetch more than Bourn?

I'm wary of Hamilton for obvious reasons, and ultimately I'm fine with the Cubs laying low if they see fit. I'm down with the rebuild process, but I have to admit talk of the Cubs adding impact players does titillate me a bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toki_wartooth View Post
    I guess I was thinking about those two players in the same price range, but now that you say 15 for Bourn I see your point. Does Swisher fetch more than Bourn?

I'm wary of Hamilton for obvious reasons, and ultimately I'm fine with the Cubs laying low if they see fit. I'm down with the rebuild process, but I have to admit talk of the Cubs adding impact players does titillate me a bit.
    With Scott Boras as his agent he will get as much as possible and hopefully not from us unless we are trying to make him cave on Appel's demands in the draft.

Swisher will get between 11 -13 if on the open market but he is older and not as valuable as Bourn.
    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast