Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Predicting the Rotation

Let's assume nobody gets traded, and the Cubs head into the season with 7 options for the 5 starting spots. Who do you predict makes the rotation?

To me, there are 4 guarantees: Garza, Jackson, Samardzija, and Feldman. Feldman was basically guaranteed a spot in the rotation by Hoyer when we signed him. Hoyer even said that Feldman wouldn't have to battle for a spot.

That leaves Baker, Wood, and Villanueva for the 5th spot.

Baker is clearly the best pitcher of the 3, but might not be ready for the start of the season, coming off injury. Villanueva has been a better reliever than starter, but had a very successful 2 month stretch as a starter last year, where he posted a low 3 ERA and almost a strikeout per inning.

My opening day guess is: Garza, Samardzija, Jackson, Feldman, Villanueva. Baker will join the rotation and bump Villanueva to bullpen/spot starter. Wood will start in AAA and will be ready if we trade someone in June or July. What do you all think?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ty_smitty21:24826299
    Let's assume nobody gets traded, and the Cubs head into the season with 7 options for the 5 starting spots. Who do you predict makes the rotation?

To me, there are 4 guarantees: Garza, Jackson, Samardzija, and Feldman. Feldman was basically guaranteed a spot in the rotation by Hoyer when we signed him. Hoyer even said that Feldman wouldn't have to battle for a spot.

Baker is clearly the best pitcher of the 3, but might not be ready for the start of the season, coming off injury. Villanueva has been a better reliever than starter, but had a very successful 2 month stretch as a starter last year, where he posted a low 3 ERA and almost a strikeout per inning.

My opening day guess is: Garza, Samardzija, Jackson, Feldman, Villanueva. Baker will join the rotation and bump Villanueva to bullpen/spot starter. Wood will start in AAA and will be ready if we trade someone in June or July. What do you all think?
    ...wood is out of options

vCash

Predicting the Rotation

I say it's Garza/Shark/Jackson/Wood/Baker

ONE GOAL ACHIEVED!
    1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013

vCash
    Garza shark jackson feldman villanueva. Baker is coming off tj.

vCash
    Garza Shark EJax Feldman Wood

Thats the rotation to start season but I think Baker will be ready in May and battle Wood for 5th spot. Wood pitched well last season, and I like having a lefty in the rotation

vCash
    I'm really starting to think Garza gets dealt in ST, if healthy. If he's not, I think our rotation starts the year off Shark, Garza, E-Jax, Feldman, and Villanueva. Wood as the long guy/spot starter. Baker likely missing April.

vCash
    To start the season.

Shark, Jackson, Feldman, Wood, Villanueva (Garza traded, Baker recovering)

Mid Season

Shark, Jackson, Bake or Feld (with one traded), Wood, Villanueva

vCash
    Garza, Samardzija, Jackson, Feldman, Villanueva to start the year, with Baker recovering and Wood in the pen

vCash
    If everyone remains on the roster, I think Kyle is right.

However, my guess is someone gets moved. If Bourn isn't signed, I think it could increase the odds Shark gets moved to address a variety of holes.

vCash
    ^ Yep. That way Feldman and Villanueva get their promised shots to start, Wood provides a versatile arm for the bullpen, and the Cubs have at least three rotation arms teams could/should be interested in at the deadline (Garza, Samardzija, and Villanueva). Wood probably makes it 4 since he should still be considered a starter even while in the pen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ty_smitty21 View Post

vCash
    I think Wood gets traded before Opening Day, and we see Garza, Shark, EJax, Feldman, Villanueva while Baker is recovering. Once he is healthy, I have no idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke11 View Post
    When healthy, I'd agree with his assessment

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    When healthy, I'd agree with his assessment
    Yeah, there's a pretty good argument that when healthy Baker was better than Jackson.

Baker's problem has always been lack of innings, on talent he's always been a pretty consistent 3.5-4 win guy.

vCash
    I'd like to see Shark/Garza/Jackson/Feldman/Wood.

I was a fan of Wood last year, but I think Villanueva will take over the 5th spot from him, and it'll end up being:

Shark/Garza/Jackson/Feldman/Villanueva with Baker sliding into the 4 spot when he comes back, and either Feldman or Villanueva taking the 5th spot.

I would also like to think Vizcaino can come in sometime this season and take over the 5th spot.

And...here...we...go...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast