Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    But it's not a "One off season away" team. They're basically rebuilding right now. It will take 2, 3, 4 years for this approach to benefit for the Mets.

I've said it a million times already - this team is not goign to be a 90+ win playoff contender, with or without Dickey. Right now, they are what you just said - a 74 win team.

vCash
    They aren't selling the team and it looks like they are going to be working with a $100M payroll moving forward for the foreseeable future. Committing $35-40M to Wright and Dickey will give us less money to spend.

They are trying to rebuild this organization, so I'd be careful about dealing too many prospects away in getting impact players. They won't come from the FA market yet.

They wouldn't be dealing Dickey for future prospects, but MLB ready type of prospects, or close to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    But it's not a "One off season away" team. They're basically rebuilding right now. It will take 2, 3, 4 years for this approach to benefit for the Mets.

I've said it a million times already - this team is not goign to be a 90+ win playoff contender, with or without Dickey. Right now, they are what you just said - a 74 win team.

Wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    Wrong.
    lol How am I wrong?

vCash
    We won 74 games with Bay being a black hole, Ike doing nothing first half of the season, Duda doing nothing last half of the season, a putrid bullpen, virtually no catcher production, and a broken rotation in the 2nd half.

Ike, Duda return to their norm, and replacement level/average bullpen players to fill the black holes can take this to a 85-90 win team EASILY. We are nowhere near as far off from being a contender as the doom and gloomer think we are. The gap between 74 wins and 90 wins is not as large as defeatist, pessimistic people make it out to be.

Teams who are constantly selling off valuable players and rebuilding never amount to jackshit. The day a NY team doesn't try to win 90 every year is the day they should just close the doors on the franchise. You can win 90+ games with $100m and be a contender, but not if you're selling proven players for unproven ones.
    Last edited by WrightStuff82; 11-09-2012 at 07:05 PM.

vCash
    Wrong.
    You're right, under NORMAL circumstances, we should just be able to spend and make ourselves winners, but we don't have the money period.

vCash
    We won 74 games with Bay being a black hole, Ike doing nothing first half of the season, Duda doing nothing last half of the season, a putrid bullpen, virtually no catcher production, and a broken rotation in the 2nd half.

Ike, Duda return to their norm, and replacement level/average bullpen players to fill the black holes can take this to a 85-90 win team EASILY. We are nowhere near as far off from being a contender as the doom and gloomer think we are. The gap between 74 wins and 90 wins is not as large as defeatist, pessimistic people make it out to be.

Teams who are constantly selling off valuable players and rebuilding never amount to jackshit. The day a NY team doesn't try to win 90 every year is the day they should just close the doors on the franchise. You can win 90+ games with $100m and be a contender, but not if you're selling proven players for unproven ones.
    There's a HUGE difference between 74 and 90 wins! This team is not easily a 90 win team. We're not spending money this year. We will likely not have solid production from the catcher position, likely will only have one difference maker in the outfield, and who knows what the bullpen will do. It likely will be middle of the pack and won't "carry" this team throughout the season.

It's not as easy as it seems. Bearing a huge miracle and plenty of luck, this team is not a playoff team, plain and simple. I'm not being pessimistic, I'm being realistic.
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 11-09-2012 at 07:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    There's a HUGE difference between 74 and 90 wins!
    Wrong.

vCash
    So 7 games under .500 and 16 games away from being a wild card team, in a normal year, is close to being a contender?
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 11-09-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Had to fix my math a bit. I suck at that stuff...

vCash
    Wrong.
    That's like saying there's not a big difference between 58 and 74 wins. There obviously is.

You say we won only 74 games with all the issues we had, but we also were only 46-40 with Wright playing like an MVP, Santana pitching great as well as Dickey, Kirk playing well, etc.

vCash
    As much as I love Dickey, whether he stays or goes is not really relevant to the team's success in 2013. They can be a 74 win team or a 90 win team, with or without him, depending on what Sandy does this winter. If he goes, he will probably be replaced with an inexpensive young starter who can give us 12-14 wins. A maturing staff (Niese, Harvey, Gee, Pelfrey and Wheeler at mid-season) should more than make up the slack. Then it all depends upon how well Sandy bolsters the offense and bull pen as to how many additional games the team wins. Maybe they'd win a few more games with Dickey next year (does anyone really expect he can win 20 again?) but they will probably be a much stronger team beyond next year if they trade him.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    ^Yeah, if Niese is traded for someone like Upton, which has been rumored but I don't think it'll happen, then ew have to retain Dickey and try to play for the near future. If Sandy plans on doing virtually nothing or signing players who will juts be replacements (i.e. Ross replacing Hairston), then trade Dickey and fully commit to the future.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    I expect R.A. to get traded now. With SA decided on keeping Ike, it's obvious that one of our few tradeable assets needs to be moved for much needed parts - OF, C, RP, etc.

Thank you R.A. for 20 wins and a great 2012 season.

Yes, you will be missed.

Long Live The Church of Dickey......

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    They gave Ollie 3/36 and he was 27 at the time and sucked something fierce so age shouldn't truly be a primary concern seeing as R.A. at 37 had a better season and that age than Ollie had in his career which started at 21 to now 31. If winning 20 games on a sorry team with all that he did every fifth day this past season and for the previous two seasons for that matter doesn't warrant a three year deal then this is truly a pathetic stance by management.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    I expect R.A. to get traded now. With SA decided on keeping Ike, it's obvious that one of our few tradeable assets needs to be moved for much needed parts - OF, C, RP, etc.

Thank you R.A. for 20 wins and a great 2012 season.

Yes, you will be missed.

Long Live The Church of Dickey......
    I can wish in my own private la-la land that the Nats would get a brain fart and trade us Ramos & Harper for Dickey within the division no less. Catcher & one outfield position down.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast