Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    Is this what the Mets forum has become? No wonder I haven't posted in here for a while...

Tired of the *****ing and moaning from the fans. If you don't like it then don't watch it. Don't go to Citi Field and don't turn on SNY. I'm a fan regardless of the team spending 40 mil or 140 mil on the team's payroll. We have some young guys who are hungry and want to play everyday...that's better than some ****ing teams who have zero hope. Alderson has a plan and if you're too impatient to stand by and wait, then go root for the ****ing Yankees. This team will be better once the dark days are over...it's a necessary evil and it just needs some time. Things will turn around.
    You said that in one of your previous posts in another thread.

We know the dark days are here and have been since 2009, the thing that prolongs the aggravation is the handling of the "dark days"

This team needs to bite the bullet and commit to a direction. If you want to re-sign Wright because he is only 30 and is the face of the franchise that's fine but this team still needs a lot of things to fall into place to compete in the next 3 years (and it's not just payroll that will fix that). That's why Dickey is expendable because the odds are he never has a season like he did last year again and some team will overpay for his services.

We need to get younger and have pieces to build around. They don't have that the way their farm system is currently constructed. Trading Dickey would bring us back valuable pieces that could help us in a year or two (which coincides with when they expect Wheeler, Harvey, and Flores to have significant impacts)

That's why some posters here advocate dealing Dickey.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-12-2012 at 07:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    Ok maybe for Wheeler so he could lead him a bit, but how would it impact Flores. If anyone would, I would be Wright.

But again, how much of a difference could R.A make? It's not as if the Mets will be full of rookies with no veteran leader. We have Niese, who is going on his 5th year, Pelfrey, who has been in the league for 7, and whoever veteran 5th starter we sign (like a Chris Young).

Do you think if R.A wasn't around, Harvey wouldn't have done as good? I don't really see how Dickey could help much with how to pitch, and where to pitch, etc... because he's the only knuckler in the league, let alone the Mets. He does bring a veteran presence and helps the young ones deal with the New York pressure and such, but isn't that what Terry and the coaches are for?
    My point is that too many of us (yes, FoC too) have already penciled in Harvey as a future ace based on his two-month debut in the majors. Others have contacted Cooperstown to make sure there's a mantle space waiting for Zach Wheeler.

Young pitchers historically are exceptionally volatile. To just toss away your ace is foolish.

Maybe I'm foolish for thinking the Mets can right this ship within 5 years if they play their cards right. That means making sure the pitching is strong while you fill the other holes. No, i wouldn't trade Dickey. I just don't trust the the rest of the staff to pick up all those innings we'd be leaving open. THAT is what will have a bad domino effect on the young arms. Relying on them for more innings because you jettisoned the best innings eater in all of baseball.

Baseball is a team game that all too often looks like an individual sport to the untrained eye. Sure, it seems like a game of one-on-one, pitcher versus hitter. But it's not. How that pitcher's teammates responded before him will have a lot of bearing with how he'll pitch in the long haul.

That we're looking to groom all these young pitchers at once is the very reason RA Dickey should be kept, not dealt.

But as the Zen Master said, we'll see.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I just don't trust the the rest of the staff to pick up all those innings we'd be leaving open. THAT is what will have a bad domino effect on the young arms. Relying on them for more innings because you jettisoned the best innings eater in all of baseball.
    That's why we have guys like Pelfrey, Young, and even Santana. We should definitly be able to handle our young pitchers carefully, even without a 225+ inning eater. Plus, we have Jeremy Hefner to pitch multiple innings out of the pen if someone has a bad game.

vCash
    The problem I have with this question is that, like the Reyes situation, the move will likely not be made with the best interest of the team in mind. Instead, the limited finances of the owners will be the deciding factor in whether or not Dickey is dealt.

I'm not sold it's the right thing to do, I'm not sold it's the wrong thing to do, I'm only sold that the decision will not be made exclusively for baseball reasons. Rather, it will be done based on whether or not we can afford to meet Dickey's demands.

That isn't how a sports franchise should be run.

vCash
    The only players that are safe IMO will be Davis, Harvey & Wheeler, everyone else is expendable. I really don't see them signing Wright to a longterm deal unless the Wilpons do what McCourt did with Kemp before having to sell the Dodgers, sign him to a longterm deal worth a chunk of change and leave it for the next regime to worry about.

vCash
    That's why we have guys like Pelfrey, Young, and even Santana. We should definitly be able to handle our young pitchers carefully, even without a 225+ inning eater. Plus, we have Jeremy Hefner to pitch multiple innings out of the pen if someone has a bad game.
    Yeah.

Be scared. Very very scared.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Of course I'm scared. I've said that we will likely suck for the next 2-4 years. That's what rebuilding is about. We need to give something to get something, and in our case, it's a few more years of last place finishes until our young players are developed and ownership gets it's money back.

Replace Dickey with Pelfrey. There's a difference between 60 wins and 75 wins. Is that worth 36 million dollars?

vCash
    McCulloughSL Jeff Wilpon says the Mets remain focused on signing Wright and RA, but adds they'd be remiss to not explore the trade market in the process.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    They same the same exact thing ever day, but switch the words around a tad. Just shut up and get to work.

vCash
    They are working. The Mets, Wright, and Dickey have decided to keep everything private. So when the media asks you get the same answer.

vCash
    Of course I'm scared. I've said that we will likely suck for the next 2-4 years. That's what rebuilding is about. We need to give something to get something, and in our case, it's a few more years of last place finishes until our young players are developed and ownership gets it's money back.

Replace Dickey with Pelfrey. There's a difference between 60 wins and 75 wins. Is that worth 36 million dollars?
    if you look at it that way, of course it isn't. But if the team does begin to turn the corner in the next year or two, Dickey would make a big difference of helping them get to the next level.

Again, it all depends on what they can get back for him. We'll just have to wait and see.

vCash
    Yep. And it doesn't help that Toronto is pretty much out of the picture with the mega deal they just made.

vCash
    He got a two year deal when he was 11-9 and eberyone thought he reached his ceiling. He wins 20, dominates the N.L. and is possibly going to win a CY Young and he would only get a two year offer from the Mets?

vCash
    They same the same exact thing ever day, but switch the words around a tad. Just shut up and get to work.
    It just means they are probably far apart in negotiations. They don't want to leak how pathetic they are going.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345