Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Mets back in the Gulf Coast league

Mets #Mets to again field Gulf Coast League team...The rookie-level club will be based at the organization's minor league complex in PSL, FL.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN The Mets will restore their Gulf Coast League team for 2013. They're back up to 9 minor league teams. Will not be subtracting one elsewhere.

That answer my next question.

But was the move originally done to save 1 million or did they come to the realization that some prospects aren't ready for the jump to the Appalachian league.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I'd say it was a combination of both to bring the GCL team back, but it was definitely a cost saving measure last year.

www.AroundCiti.com You Gotta Believe
    R.I.P UAPeople

vCash

It was a ****** decision period, the fact that they are bringing it back reassures me that I was right about it a year ago.

vCash
    Great news. Glad they made the right decision.

vCash
    From ESPN Mets Blog:

The return gives the Mets nine minor league affiliates -- matching the Mariners and Rays for the most in the majors. According to the Mets, 11 organizations have eight affiliates, while 16 have seven affiliates.

The reintroduction of the GCL team, which primarly is for newly signed players, is necessary because the new collective bargaining agreement results in draftees signing more quickly -- in time to participate in games within weeks of the draft in large numbers, according to the Mets.

vCash
    What about all the people who argued that this was a wasteful expense for the team?
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    What about all the people who argued that this was a wasteful expense for the team?
    I think you mean person, and that would be me.

But in the end, they had to many prospects for just one team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I think you mean person, and that would be me.

But in the end, they had to many prospects for just one team.
    You didn't say that before though. We said that the teams were too stacked and players could not get adequate playing for proper development.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    You didn't say that before though. We said that the teams were too stacked and players could not get adequate playing for proper development.
    I know I didn't, and never said I did.

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN The Mets said the reintroduction of the Gulf Coast League team was necessary because the new CBA means draftees are signing more quickly.

And there is the answer I seek.

vCash

I mention numerous reasons as to why this was a bad idea and there was one certain poster that was adamant that Sandy was doing this because the Mets would draft less HS guys and blah blah blah blah.

Anyways, just glad that they righted a wrong.

vCash
    Clay, you weren't the only one.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Clay, you weren't the only one.
    But I'm the only one who would admit that I was.

vCash
    Probably true.
    Go Grab My Belt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast