Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile apps

vCash
    Not pointless. Long weekend.

I'm not going to get a proper answer until the guys are back in the office.

Any new mobile solution or spam solution will not be implemented until they upgrade to 4.0. I've been told the 4.0 upgrade could still be a month or two away.

I've asked them what they are going to do with the current app. Obviously, we shouldn't have an app out there that doesn't work properly. Honestly, I just use Safari to browse the forums.

We'll see what they say. I've suggested that they repair what they already have released and implement a better solution with the re-release later.

That's all I have at this point.

vCash
    How about Tapatalk? It's free and it gets the forum listed on their site which will generate some new traffic to the site.

vCash
    I emailed back and forth with Luke from SDI about TapaTalk and he told me they don't have the funds to enable the free TapaTalk plugin. I doubt PSD team will have a better response but maybe hearing it from an administrator will sway them.
    I'm In.

vCash
    tapatalk and/or a mobile skin is way better than the app they have now

and i'm not an expert on it, but I don't see it taking more than an afternoon to upgrade Vbulletin. not months.

vCash

Mobile apps

Side note, ive been having problem with the back button today. Its been bringing back to the same page i was on over and over agajn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PSD-Team View Post
    Not pointless. Long weekend.

I'm not going to get a proper answer until the guys are back in the office.

Any new mobile solution or spam solution will not be implemented until they upgrade to 4.0. I've been told the 4.0 upgrade could still be a month or two away.

I've asked them what they are going to do with the current app. Obviously, we shouldn't have an app out there that doesn't work properly. Honestly, I just use Safari to browse the forums.

We'll see what they say. I've suggested that they repair what they already have released and implement a better solution with the re-release later.

That's all I have at this point.
    Yeah that's what I do on my iPod. It's better than the app...
    Don't like me?

Go have a seat with the rest of the putas waiting for me to give a flying fk.

vCash
    OK, not the answer everyone (including myself) is looking for...but here it is.

The mobile app is not an SDI product. The PSD Forum app that many of you use is actually a V-Bulletin product. Yes, it is buggy.

Like most of the issues around here, it comes down to the forum upgrade to version 4.0. We can not run an update to the app until we complete the upgrade. The forum is actually a few upgrades behind and, when the project begins, the upgrades will all have to be completed chronologically.

The next question everyone will ask is, "when are these upgrades going to be completed?"

The upgrade project has been entered into the project list. There are several IT projects ahead of the forum upgrade on the list, including another PSD project that is currently in development (main site upgrade and article admin). There are several other projects involving other SDI properties and initiatives.

What I was told yesterday afternoon is that the PSD forum upgrade will, most likely, be ready by late December/early January. The IT lead informed me that it is a much larger initiative than originally thought and involves many moving parts and much more than just the forum itself. He doesn't want to tackle this until after the main PSD site gets it's upgrade because many of the pages on the main site contain forum pieces that could impact the current project they are working on.

Instead of removing the current mobile app entirely, it will remain because some users are able to use it without issue. Those that are experiencing problems with the current V-Bulletin app will, unfortunately, have to use a mobile browser in the mean-time.

I was told that mobile skins (such as Tap-a-Talk) are not an option until the upgrade is completed. Even then they will hesitate to use external code within their product.

That's all that I have for now. Any updates will be relayed.

vCash
    no offense PSD Team, but that's basically the same thing we have been told for years now about all the problems here. the mobile app was "next on the list" for years and the only thing that happened before it was the logo changing.

and I still don't understand why they can't install the free tap-a-talk plugin. they have a version for vBullitin 3.7.x / 3.8.x

vCash
    Tapatalk doesn't hurt a god damn thing. This is ****ing ********. They don't have a god damn clue what they're doing. **** this ****.

vCash
    basically what ****** said. when I read read this, it sounds more like the IT people don't know how to do it.

vCash
    Pardon my language cuz I've been drinking but it's a load of crap how they do things. No rhyme or reason to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    no offense PSD Team, but that's basically the same thing we have been told for years now about all the problems here. the mobile app was "next on the list" for years and the only thing that happened before it was the logo changing.

and I still don't understand why they can't install the free tap-a-talk plugin. they have a version for vBullitin 3.7.x / 3.8.x
    You underestimate the powers of #OccupyMrPSD. The mobile app was the peace dividend earned by the movement.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    I'm confused... If PSD-Team is an administrator, why did they only join 2 months ago? I would think that an admin would have been here for years. I'm not new to the message board scene, but I'm new to this one, and it looks to me that this board has been around for several years.

Edit: If what you all are saying is true that this has been going on for a few years that sucks. I was an admin on a board before and helped update all the UI and software. It's not hard. Most is just a click of the button, especially with vBullitin.

#JustSayin
    Last edited by BlackWidow; 11-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Don't like me?

Go have a seat with the rest of the putas waiting for me to give a flying fk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
    I'm confused... If PSD-Team is an administrator, why did they only join 2 months ago? I would think that an admin would have been here for years. I'm not new to the message board scene, but I'm new to this one, and it looks to me that this board has been around for several years.
    I believe he's an outside consultant that was recently added.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post

Edit: If what you all are saying is true that this has been going on for a few years that sucks. I was an admin on a board before and helped update all the UI and software. It's not hard. Most is just a click of the button, especially with vBullitin.

#JustSayin
    He works for Sports Direct inc, they own PSD. he was recently added

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast