Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    If they are I haven't seen it. I stick to the BBC world news summary on their radio channel. It's nice coverage of world events (rather than focusing on silly pandering headlines on US networks).

Let's just go with this statement. You brought up Murdoch and Hannity. That's one network.

You're telling me MSNBC and Maddow aren't the equivalent on the other side? You jumped to extremes with the "liberal media" which I don't buy into a grand liberal media, but there ARE liberal slanted outlets.

yes, you are right, but it isnt without merit to note MSNBC was a direct result of Fox news.
    Without them going on their whacko tangents and blaming the MSM for every problem a republican candidate had, there would have been no impetus to present a offsetting alternative perspective to the nonsense they were spouting.

Remember when Palin said Katie Curic was trying to make her look stupid by asking her what publications she read?
    talk about a hardball question right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    You're telling me MSNBC and Maddow aren't the equivalent on the other side? You jumped to extremes with the "liberal media" which I don't buy into a grand liberal media, but there ARE liberal slanted outlets.
    Huge difference is that Maddow and MSNBC don't label themselves "fair and balanced" coverage they will admit they are left leaning and they dont perpetuate lies and STILL stand on them even when it's obvious to everyone they are full of BS. If they make a mistake they will issue a correction.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    No. You just watch them all. Just listen to everyone.
    1. who the hell has the time to do that. Jesus christ.

2. Why should I listen to anyone who is obviously not a journalist.

3. From Cognitive psychology the Propaganda effect. You, me, anybody are going to more likely to believe something if you hear it first.... Even if you are told ahead of time it's a lie.

this is a bad idea. No one should be listening to Fox or MSNBC, unless they have no interest in knowing and understanding the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post

3. From Cognitive psychology the Propaganda effect. You, me, anybody are going to more likely to believe something if you hear it first.... Even if you are told ahead of time it's a lie.

this is a bad idea. No one should be listening to Fox or MSNBC, unless they have no interest in knowing and understanding the truth.
    I agree with wavey here though.
    Msnbc, tries to support their LT ideology with facts and examples.some times it is a reach and you can say to yourself..thats taking things a little out of context.
    Fox outright LIES. they make things up. They cut up speeches almost to a comical level.I half expect them to start isolating sylables and piece them together "max headroom " style to make Obama say I AM THE DEVIL.(lol).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    I agree with wavey here though.
    Msnbc, tries to support their LT ideology with facts and examples.some times it is a reach and you can say to yourself..thats taking things a little out of context.
    Fox outright LIES. they make things up. They cut up speeches almost to a comical level.I half expect them to start isolating sylables and piece them together "max headroom " style to make Obama say I AM THE DEVIL.(lol).
    Why am I quoted here... Doesn't make sense...

vCash
    Lets put it this way. Maddow can have a repub guest on like Michael Steele and have a REAL CONVERSATION while Sean Hannity and O'Reily get their Dem guests and it's 10 mins of telling them "you guys ****ing suck". But it's hilarious and a nice treat for me.
    Last edited by americaspasttim; 11-09-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Dodging the Filter

vCash
    BBC is more slanted than you'd think.
    yea, but compared to the u.s. media its really good. But that's not really saying much, most other media outlets put u.s. media to shame

Al jazeera english is actually really good if you want to watch news about the u.s. RT.com is ok, it has a slight anti american flavor, but al jazeera is really solid

vCash
    Please...don't compare Maddow to the pundits on Fox news. I disagree with a lot her positions, but I don't know anyone else who runs a show like her, she does her research and presents evidence on topics, not just invite guests on to talk. Her research informs her questions too, so it's a political talk show where you can actually learn something. I'm so pissed off at the Fox news' pundits. They fed me " low Dem turn out" bs for the last six months. This is all coming from a Republican.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnum1
    Wade will be a lot better next season now that he got knee surgery. Hate on. - 7/31/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    yea, but compared to the u.s. media its really good. But that's not really saying much, most other media outlets put u.s. media to shame

Al jazeera english is actually really good if you want to watch news about the u.s. RT.com is ok, it has a slight anti american flavor, but al jazeera is really solid
    The News hour is hands down the best news on TV.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    yes, you are right, but it isnt without merit to note MSNBC was a direct result of Fox news.
    Without them going on their whacko tangents and blaming the MSM for every problem a republican candidate had, there would have been no impetus to present a offsetting alternative perspective to the nonsense they were spouting.

Remember when Palin said Katie Curic was trying to make her look stupid by asking her what publications she read?
    talk about a hardball question right?
    So we'll play the game of "he started it!"? This isn't about MSNBC having to balance out for Fox, this is all about marketing and selling a product. Murdoch is conservative and anyone who has seen "Outfoxed" is aware of the bias they have, but the only reason they continue it is because that's their core audience. If conservatives had any desire for nonbias news, they'd watch something else.

Same goes for MSNBC. Liberal viewers drifted away from Fox and were forced into CNN or MSNBC. CNN keeps a mild moderate approach, but MSNBC decided to cash in and pander to the growing liberal viewers.

Point: its about money, not political slant. And they both are entertianment sources, not valuable journalism, which I can get from BBC, POTUS (Sirius) or like flips said the newshour.

Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    Huge difference is that Maddow and MSNBC don't label themselves "fair and balanced" coverage they will admit they are left leaning and they dont perpetuate lies and STILL stand on them even when it's obvious to everyone they are full of BS. If they make a mistake they will issue a correction.
    Truth or not, they paint one side of the story and avoid giving ANY credit to conservatives. This is the problem with political discourse. It doesn't even matter about facts anymore, but neither side is willing to take a civil approach and credit the other in anyway. And when you go home and turn on whichever network panders to your beliefs and all they do is give you notes on how to support your side more and hate the other side more, it ruins any chance for middle ground.

Why am I quoted here... Doesn't make sense...
    French fries are better with hot sauce.

The News hour is hands down the best news on TV.

vCash

1. Well, not every single one. But getting an idea of what people who disagree with you think is a pretty good idea.

2. Why should you listen to journalists? You don't think they have their own biases? You don't think there's bias in what stories are even covered? You don't think there's bias in the way things are written? Come on.

My general idea is to listen to a wide variety of sources, but be skeptical of all of 'em. If something sounds like bull ****, look into it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    1. Well, not every single one. But getting an idea of what people who disagree with you think is a pretty good idea.

2. Why should you listen to journalists? You don't think they have their own biases? You don't think there's bias in what stories are even covered? You don't think there's bias in the way things are written? Come on.

My general idea is to listen to a wide variety of sources, but be skeptical of all of 'em. If something sounds like bull ****, look into it.
    Journalists by definition report the story and not the bias. Judges have personal bias but we pay them to ignore it. I as a scientist have personal bias, but I present the data as it is not as I want it to be. There are plenty of folks who's job it is to recognize and ignore their own bias and many who do so well.

The reason why listening o a lot of biased sources is wrong is in my #3. This leads to source monitoring memory issues and faulty decisions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan1234 View Post
    Please...don't compare Maddow to the pundits on Fox news. I disagree with a lot her positions, but I don't know anyone else who runs a show like her, she does her research and presents evidence on topics, not just invite guests on to talk. Her research informs her questions too, so it's a political talk show where you can actually learn something. I'm so pissed off at the Fox news' pundits. They fed me " low Dem turn out" bs for the last six months. This is all coming from a Republican.
    Agreed. I don't really watch Maddow's show.. or any news show that isn't on CNN for that matter... but if I were going to, it'd be hers. I'm fully aware she's on the left, but I also believe she's the most intelligent one you're going to find out there.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Fair enough, but this is less about the validity of her claims as it is about the direction she leans. But to be honest, I gave up watching her a while back, so maybe I'll try again. Keep in mind I'm very very liberal....I just don't like my news to be.

vCash
    I think we, at least, are informed enough to know that her and O'Reilly and Hannity aren't actually news shows. Of course, unlike a news paper there is nothing that says "Editorial" to let people know that you're getting Maddow or O'Reilly or Hannity's views and not the news from a journalist, but we, at least, should know that much.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast