Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    3,320
    vCash
    500

    stupidest reasons why a player is overrated

    Ok the title says it all. Now here is the reason behind the thread. I was visiting a friend at work today and his boss was there, his boss is an avid Viking fan and my buddy is a packers fan. We got on the subject of football, naturally and the Viking fan said the stupidest thing: Clay Matthews was completely overrated because the Pa meds move him all over the field, if he would just go from one spot he would be horrible.

    So that got me thinking what was the dumbest reason a player was overrated, any player not just a packer player, past or present, NFL or college.
    Eddie Lacy


    Carries:284
    Yards: 1178
    Yards/Game: 78.5
    Average: 4.1
    Touchdowns: 11
    Catches: 35
    Yards: 257

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    ******'s bed
    Posts
    84,034
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Ok the title says it all. Now here is the reason behind the thread. I was visiting a friend at work today and his boss was there, his boss is an avid Viking fan and my buddy is a packers fan. We got on the subject of football, naturally and the Viking fan said the stupidest thing: Clay Matthews was completely overrated because the Pa meds move him all over the field, if he would just go from one spot he would be horrible.

    So that got me thinking what was the dumbest reason a player was overrated, any player not just a packer player, past or present, NFL or college.
    System (for the NFL)

    "He wouldn't be as good without all those WRs"

    Just got in this debate, I said Rodgers doesn't have Nelson and Jennings. But he has Cobb and Jones!!

    Yeah because those guys were stars. Nobody ever stops to think, maybe the reason those guys are so good, isn't just them. He even included Finley and I said Finley isn't worth a 5th rounder. Nobody thought Cobb would be special before this year who wasn't a Pack fan. Nobody would sign James in FA. Rodgers made Crabtree look good.

    #YOTTO BABY COME BACK!!!!!!! #YOTTO

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,421
    vCash
    1500
    This isn't a reason guys get overrated, but its a huge reason people get underrated and that's because they aren't the perfect size. To an extent that sometimes makes sense, like your starting DE isn't going to be 5'10" 185lbs, but when a guy is an inch to small or runs a 40 .05 seconds too slow and they fall in the draft that doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    18,813
    vCash
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    This isn't a reason guys get overrated, but its a huge reason people get underrated and that's because they aren't the perfect size. To an extent that sometimes makes sense, like your starting DE isn't going to be 5'10" 185lbs, but when a guy is an inch to small or runs a 40 .05 seconds too slow and they fall in the draft that doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
    I think its cause scouts have standard on what they think is the correct height, weight, hand size, speed etc for each position. If a player doesn't meet those standard then they don't feel comfortable using an early round draft pick on them so they take them later in the draft. Makes sense to me but it doesn't mean they are a bad player. But take Wilson for example. He had "first round" talent but fell to the third round due to his height. If he was 6'5" i think he would be a much better QB imo, same can be said for Brees as well.

    Funny thing about Brees. I was watching a Saints game and a commentator point out that Brees stands on his tippie toes and stretches his body as high up as he can to see over the line and now that's all i see when he throws the ball. Cracks my **** up lmao
    My 2014 Adopted Packer: Blow Job Raji




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    ******'s bed
    Posts
    84,034
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese21 View Post
    I think its cause scouts have standard on what they think is the correct height, weight, hand size, speed etc for each position. If a player doesn't meet those standard then they don't feel comfortable using an early round draft pick on them so they take them later in the draft. Makes sense to me but it doesn't mean they are a bad player. But take Wilson for example. He had "first round" talent but fell to the third round due to his height. If he was 6'5" i think he would be a much better QB imo, same can be said for Brees as well.

    Funny thing about Brees. I was watching a Saints game and a commentator point out that Brees stands on his tippie toes and stretches his body as high up as he can to see over the line and now that's all i see when he throws the ball. Cracks my **** up lmao
    Did you know he hasn't always done that? Then never mentioned that. He does it almost every single pass now.

    #YOTTO BABY COME BACK!!!!!!! #YOTTO

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    18,813
    vCash
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Did you know he hasn't always done that? Then never mentioned that. He does it almost every single pass now.
    I never watched Brees closely so i never knew if he did it or not. I forgot what game it was but they pointed it out and after every replay they kept showing him as he is throwing it and you can see him standing on the tips of his toes, with his neck fully stretched out and his eyes get all big. It's the funniest **** ever.
    My 2014 Adopted Packer: Blow Job Raji




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    ******'s bed
    Posts
    84,034
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese21 View Post
    I never watched Brees closely so i never knew if he did it or not. I forgot what game it was but they pointed it out and after every replay they kept showing him as he is throwing it and you can see him standing on the tips of his toes, with his neck fully stretched out and his eyes get all big. It's the funniest **** ever.
    I noticed it and I was like uhhh. WTF then I saw that game, I think same one, and he was talking about it how he cranes his neck and ****. So I went back and looked at the TIVO'd and downloaded games I had and I couldn't find him doing it that bad and he tilted his head up a bit but just not that much overall. I was like uh wtf? Wonder why he started that all the sudden.

    #YOTTO BABY COME BACK!!!!!!! #YOTTO

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    18,813
    vCash
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    I noticed it and I was like uhhh. WTF then I saw that game, I think same one, and he was talking about it how he cranes his neck and ****. So I went back and looked at the TIVO'd and downloaded games I had and I couldn't find him doing it that bad and he tilted his head up a bit but just not that much overall. I was like uh wtf? Wonder why he started that all the sudden.
    Its funny as hell. I keep waiting for him to jump up and down to see over the line lmao. Its funny that you say its looks like he is doing it more now, maybe he is shrinking lmao.
    My 2014 Adopted Packer: Blow Job Raji




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    ******'s bed
    Posts
    84,034
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese21 View Post
    Its funny as hell. I keep waiting for him to jump up and down to see over the line lmao. Its funny that you say its looks like he is doing it more now, maybe he is shrinking lmao.
    lolol must be, he is getting pretty old.

    #YOTTO BABY COME BACK!!!!!!! #YOTTO

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    3,320
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    System (for the NFL)

    "He wouldn't be as good without all those WRs"

    Just got in this debate, I said Rodgers doesn't have Nelson and Jennings. But he has Cobb and Jones!!

    Yeah because those guys were stars. Nobody ever stops to think, maybe the reason those guys are so good, isn't just them. He even included Finley and I said Finley isn't worth a 5th rounder. Nobody thought Cobb would be special before this year who wasn't a Pack fan. Nobody would sign James in FA. Rodgers made Crabtree look good.
    Yeah I have heard that too but, this one about Matthews just threw me it was one of those look at him dumbfounded and say seriously like really seriously seri-seriously.
    Eddie Lacy


    Carries:284
    Yards: 1178
    Yards/Game: 78.5
    Average: 4.1
    Touchdowns: 11
    Catches: 35
    Yards: 257

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,421
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese21 View Post
    I think its cause scouts have standard on what they think is the correct height, weight, hand size, speed etc for each position. If a player doesn't meet those standard then they don't feel comfortable using an early round draft pick on them so they take them later in the draft. Makes sense to me but it doesn't mean they are a bad player. But take Wilson for example. He had "first round" talent but fell to the third round due to his height. If he was 6'5" i think he would be a much better QB imo, same can be said for Brees as well.

    Funny thing about Brees. I was watching a Saints game and a commentator point out that Brees stands on his tippie toes and stretches his body as high up as he can to see over the line and now that's all i see when he throws the ball. Cracks my **** up lmao
    To me that doesn't make sense though. I would rather watch the tape on the guy and see what his actual skills are. Look how often the "perfect" athlete is picked early and busts out. I would rather have a guy who has great tape but ran his 40 .05 seconds too slow than the guy who didn't do much in college but tore up the combine. Honetly, I think the combine is one of the most overrated events in all of sports. Guys jump and fall way too much just based on measurables.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    ******'s bed
    Posts
    84,034
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    To me that doesn't make sense though. I would rather watch the tape on the guy and see what his actual skills are. Look how often the "perfect" athlete is picked early and busts out. I would rather have a guy who has great tape but ran his 40 .05 seconds too slow than the guy who didn't do much in college but tore up the combine. Honetly, I think the combine is one of the most overrated events in all of sports. Guys jump and fall way too much just based on measurables.
    Tape is misleading. Personnel guys try to pretend the 40s don't matter. But sometimes they do. SEC, probably not.

    But you start watching lower conference football, FCS, DII. A 4.6 guy can look 4.3.

    I think there's concerns beyond that as well, maybe he didn't work that hard for prep on the combine. They don't just show up and run. They do tons of work with sprint coaches. I think other times a guy seems to drop for his #s when it may have been meds or interviews too.


    Everything is a piece of the puzzle I guess. If a guy runs considerably less than what you thought you saw, combine and pro day. You have to wonder.

    #YOTTO BABY COME BACK!!!!!!! #YOTTO

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,438
    vCash
    1500
    I agree with Norm, I think the stupidest reason people use is "System Player"

    But GB specific I think it was ARod was a system QB because of Flynn's game vs the Lions.

    That one had me...ARod is the #1 QB in this league.

    PSD's Shane Vereen.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    358
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lolollort View Post
    I agree with Norm, I think the stupidest reason people use is "System Player"

    But GB specific I think it was ARod was a system QB because of Flynn's game vs the Lions.

    That one had me...ARod is the #1 QB in this league.
    O yeah when heard people say that I was like -_- Perfect example to refute that to me were all of those ridiculous throws he made to Jennings and Jordy in the Super Bowl. Perfect placement and accuracy, with the ball just sailing over defenders hands. Only a a couple QBs that can do that.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,415
    vCash
    1500
    No doubt it's the system qb line. Friend is bears fan, so sick of hearing it!!!


    REC:

    TDs:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •