Follow us on Twitter

Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
    vCash
    victorino signing now seems to be official
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...victorino.html

vCash
    lolllllllll

vCash
    that's a big overpay, even if it's only 3 years. I thought Victorino would get 10 yearly max.

vCash
    I guess the Sox didn't like being bereft of bad contracts?
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

vCash
    ^ i'd say even 10 is an overpay. oh well. atleast there is not questioning his defence i guess? but his bat and declining speed may be an issue

vCash
    Jeff Passan @JeffPassan
    Total cost of Napoli, Victorino, Papi, Gomes and Ross: $120.2 million already spent by the Red Sox.
    its actually 3/39. how they figure that he should be paid equal to napoli is beyond me.
    Last edited by PeterH; 12-04-2012 at 05:49 PM.

vCash
    Victorino's fangraphs value, prior 3 years:

15.1M
    26.8M
    14.7M

Obviously it takes a hit if he doesn't play centerfield, with Ellsbury there, but Ellsbury may only be there for one year, if that. And not sure Victorino's performance will fall off a cliff. It shouldn't be a terrible deal. Likely, it won't be a bad deal. But it isn't a value play.

vCash
    i dont even think victorino was worth 13 million a year 3 or 4 years ago when he was somewhat good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Imwrong View Post

15.1M
    26.8M
    14.7M

Obviously it takes a hit if he doesn't play centerfield, with Ellsbury there, but Ellsbury may only be there for one year, if that. And not sure Victorino's performance will fall off a cliff. It shouldn't be a terrible deal. Likely, it won't be a bad deal. But it isn't a value play.
    Just a couple of days ago i was looking at this... i don't know why people were fine with the Braves paying upton 15 mills and consider Victorino a 10 max player.. they have very similar WARs

yeah Upton is younger but he is what he is at this point and isn't gonna get much better

Not saying that its a good deal for the Sox but i think both this and the Upton deal were awful..

This deal is bad for the Sox not because of Vic's skill set, but because of where they are gonna plug him in

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    If you're a fan of Victorino you have to hope the bat is going to go back to the career averages. He's not exactly young either, and at 33 you have to figure his best days are gone. The power completely disappeared (128 ISO vs 212 last year and 170 the year before) and his production tanked once he was traded to the Dodgers (667 OPS). He was pretty worthless vs RHP last year (629 OPS) but was fantastic vs LHP (906 OPS). Two of the past 3 years he's had an OPS under 700 vs RHP.

I think that's the bigger issue with the deal. If you believe his D and plus bat vs LHP are good enough to offset the fact that he's worthless against RHP, then it's a solid deal. The age and the decline in his bat is a bit worrisome to me so I'm not a huge fan of the deal.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    If you're a fan of Victorino you have to hope the bat is going to go back to the career averages. He's not exactly young either, and at 33 you have to figure his best days are gone. The power completely disappeared (128 ISO vs 212 last year and 170 the year before) and his production tanked once he was traded to the Dodgers (667 OPS). He was pretty worthless vs RHP last year (629 OPS) but was fantastic vs LHP (906 OPS). Two of the past 3 years he's had an OPS under 700 vs RHP.

I think that's the bigger issue with the deal. If you believe his D and plus bat vs LHP are good enough to offset the fact that he's worthless against RHP, then it's a solid deal. The age and the decline in his bat is a bit worrisome to me so I'm not a huge fan of the deal.
    I'd like to introduce you to the R.A. Dickey Thread.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=785074

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    I'd like to introduce you to the R.A. Dickey Thread.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=785074
    Dickey's a bit of a different case because knuckleballers are so unique. It wouldn't surprise me if he lasted 1 year or 5. With extreme cases like that, the normal rules don't apply.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Seems to me like they are going to try and move Ellsbury for pitching. Victorino is a cheaper replacement in CF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Imwrong View Post

15.1M
    26.8M
    14.7M

I hate that value system. If that was accurate there would be about 20 guys getting paid 25-30 million a year and about 75 guys worth 15 million a year. Not to mention Trout would be worth about 50 million last year. This is only position players to no pitchers included.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
    Seems to me like they are going to try and move Ellsbury for pitching. Victorino is a cheaper replacement in CF.
    Cheaper and not nearly as good*

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast