Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    ^^^Meh McDade is just not a good player. Never liked him the way some people around here did for reasons unknown to me.
    Yeah agreed. Never was a fan either. People were drawn to a big bodied switch hitter I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    I would love to acquire Dickey but it looks like he will re-sign with the Mets and if they decide to trade him he will not come cheap
    Ya me too. Dickey would be sick in between Morrow and JJ

Brandon Morrow
    R.A. Dickey
    Josh Johnson
    Mark Buerhle
    Ricky Romero

vCash

Blue Jays 2012-13 free agency and off-season thread 2.0

The two major red flags with Dickey for me are his 71% increase in K/9 from his previous knuckleballing level, and the uncertainty of what moving to a domed hitters park would do to his effectiveness. I'm not OVERLY concerned about his age as knuckleballing isn't an overly strenuous or athletic endeavor. In light of those other concerns, though, I think the Mets might ask more than I'd be willing to give.

vCash

Blue Jays 2012-13 free agency and off-season thread 2.0

Orioles non-tendered Mark Reynolds. Could be an interesting name to throw into 1B/DH mix. Presumably he's better than Lind regardless of which side of the mound the ball comes from but I wouldn't protest too much if we only used Reynolds as half of a platoon/PH bat. Don't know if he'd want that role though.

vCash
    Please, no Reynolds, we just got rid of a guy who strikes out 200 times a year.

vCash
    My buddy heard a rumor about Youkilis coming to Toronto, said he heard it on TheScore. Maybe it just came up in a general discussion, but does anybody know anything about that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AntwanN21 View Post
    My buddy heard a rumor about Youkilis coming to Toronto, said he heard it on TheScore. Maybe it just came up in a general discussion, but does anybody know anything about that?
    I'd be shocked if Youk came here and I've been suggesting his name for a while now. He'd be a great platoon partner with Lind but I highly doubt he'd accept a low level pay and minimal playing time. He could be used as a DH/1B and at third but even then, there's really no way to give him enough AB's to persuade him to come here IMO.

vCash
    Jurrjens has been non-tendered. Might be a nice buy-low guy for the fifth spot in the rotation.

vCash
    They let bobby wilson go, now there's 39 on the roster, maybe nothing maybe adding someone?

vCash
    Youk would be fine by me. I think the Jays need a 5 hitter that puts the ball in play and gets on base. We don't necessarily need a masher that hits bombs but strikes out a lot.

Believe it or not, I'm even warming up to the idea of Cooper hitting 5th for us if Lind craps the bed again.

With how often Bautista, EE, Reyes and Cabrera are likely to get on base in front of the 5 hitter, I just want a guy that won't strike out. With those guys on, we need productive outs. Move them over, drive them in. If you can rope a double to the gap, perfect!

Like him or not, Cooper has shown an ability to hit doubles and doesn't strike out at an alarming rate. In the minor leagues the past two seasons he has walked 27 more times than he's struck out. Even if you were to project his career MLB numbers over a full season of 500 plate appearances, he'd only strike out around 80 times.

Is there anything more frustrating than seeing guys get on base, only to have them stranded because of strikeouts, unproductive outs - not moving them over, or with overagression?

Morneau would be a better solution if he could be had.. but I'm starting to warm to the idea of a 5 hitter like Cooper that could put the ball in play, shoot some gaps, and hopefully cash the big boys in.

(I've never been a Cooper fan, but I'm TIRED of watching high-strikeout guys get praised for hitting a bomb one at-bat, only to miss an assignment in moving a guy over, or K'ing with the bases juiced the next at-bat)

Johnny O was a pretty excellent 5 hitter, and he wasn't a power guy. And he certainly didn't strike out much! (...not comparing Cooper to Olerud either, get real, just in that they have limited pop and put the ball in play often).

vCash
    I wouldnt mind taking a chance on Jurrjens but since he's a Boras client, its a long-shot he comes here -- I still see Boras slithering his way to getting Jurrjens a half decent deal...

vCash
    Cooper is a great doubles hitter, but he's still not a good everyday DH. If he played 2nd or something he'd be great. Problem is you expect more production out of your DH spot, something I don't see Cooper being able to handle. He's good for maybe 10-15 hrs, which from your DH is quite low. Plus the guy is super slow and pretty sloppy at 1st -- he's a great pinch hitter -- actually an ideal pinch hitter. The old school guy who comes off the bench in the 7th or beyond. I don't mind him in that type of role, but not an everyday guy.

vCash
    Cooper is a AAAA player. He's just not good enough to justify giving him a roster spot and he's really not much better than Lind.

vCash
    Well said Jet.
    I like Cooper. He's an in house solution to a glaring need and allows AA to allocate any remaining money/ assets towards acquiring pitching help.

I think Coopers skill set is very complementary to the current Jays line up. He has a nice swing and can put the ball in play. Last year the Jays were near the bottom in OBP and it would be nice to cash in some runners without having to go yard.
    The Jays have a lot of speed in the line up and it would be refreshing to utilize this speed and see people going first to third and scoring on some gap hits. I like the balance of skill sets on the Jays- they can run and still have plenty of power.
    I'm also of the opinion that Jose will end up as the Jays 1B in the next couple of years. No sense spending assets to fill a position that the face of the franchise will end up filling.
    Give Cooper his 500 AB's and lets see if he can try to validate some Johnny O comparisons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    Well said Jet.
    I like Cooper. He's an in house solution to a glaring need and allows AA to allocate any remaining money/ assets towards acquiring pitching help.

I think Coopers skill set is very complementary to the current Jays line up. He has a nice swing and can put the ball in play. Last year the Jays were near the bottom in OBP and it would be nice to cash in some runners without having to go yard.
    The Jays have a lot of speed in the line up and it would be refreshing to utilize this speed and see people going first to third and scoring on some gap hits. I like the balance of skill sets on the Jays- they can run and still have plenty of power.
    I'm also of the opinion that Jose will end up as the Jays 1B in the next couple of years. No sense spending assets to fill a position that the face of the franchise will end up filling.
    Give Cooper his 500 AB's and lets see if he can try to validate some Johnny O comparisons.
    I'm curious, why the love for Cooper? what has he shown you that I can't see? he can't even play a position.Not only that, he can't hit. We just picked up two OBP guys in Reyes and Cabrera and despite everyone falling in love with OBP and declaring that it scores runs, this team was second in the AL in runs scored prior to the injuries. Offense really isn't a problem. What this team needs is a platoon hitter for Lind, something Cooper doesn't provide. Cooper has a .310 OBP in his career in the majors which is pretty brutal for a DH/1B and is a negative WAR player. I cannot come up with any scenario as to why he'd be up on a team going for the playoffs. You don't give this guy 500 AB's when you're going for the division title.

Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast