Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by adid727 View Post
    I didn't say there is no reason to talk about him, i just said its blown out of proportion. Its was never a secret that marcum liked his time here, so i don't know why is it a surprise that he would welcome coming back. All i said was bob Elliott took marcum's words plus the fact that AA inquired about him (which he does on just about every free agent) and squeezed a story out of it, and every other reporter started milking the cow from there.
    There's next to nothing to talk about, Elliot and every other writer should take this and run.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysfan4ever View Post
    Right, because when the Jays signed Jack Morris (37) and Dave Stewart (36) in 92-93 that worked out awful . Dickey's been a solid pitcher for 3 years, and posted arguably the best pitching numbers in the NL. Why would he settle for a 1-year deal? And knuckleballers can pitch for a long time because they don't throw hard... Wakefield retired at age 45. I'd expect 2 or 3 years of solid numbers from Dickey.
    Maybe you should go and look at the numbers for Morris and Stewart because they weren't that spectacular. Keep rolling your eyes though with your weak argument. Dickey will settle because he's pushing 40. I don't care what kind of pitcher he is, you don't throw big dollars at guys this age. And you do know that Wakefield was pretty crappy after he was 35 right? another weak comparison.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysfan4ever View Post
    Right, because when the Jays signed Jack Morris (37) and Dave Stewart (36) in 92-93 that worked out awful . Dickey's been a solid pitcher for 3 years, and posted arguably the best pitching numbers in the NL. Why would he settle for a 1-year deal? And knuckleballers can pitch for a long time because they don't throw hard... Wakefield retired at age 45. I'd expect 2 or 3 years of solid numbers from Dickey.
    You make some good points here.

I'd like to have him to...at the right price in specs. Lansing 3...no.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    There's next to nothing to talk about, Elliot and every other writer should take this and run.

Maybe you should go and look at the numbers for Morris and Stewart because they weren't that spectacular. Keep rolling your eyes though with your weak argument. Dickey will settle because he's pushing 40. I don't care what kind of pitcher he is, you don't throw big dollars at guys this age. And you do know that Wakefield was pretty crappy after he was 35 right? another weak comparison.
    2.24 wins per year age 36 season on, which includes the two clunkers he had at 44 & 45 before retirement. Flaws of pitcher WAR aside, I wouldn't call that crappy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    2.24 wins per year age 36 season on, which includes the two clunkers he had at 44 & 45 before retirement. Flaws of pitcher WAR aside, I wouldn't call that crappy.
    Across the board, he had some pretty crappy/average seasons. To compare Wakefield and Dickey seems weak. Just because they're both knuckleballers doesn't mean squat. Dickey was having a Cy Young year, Wakefield was a bottom of the rotation starter from 36 and on. It's pretty safe to say Dickeys going to want, and possibly get, ace type of dollars. I have no issue in trading for him but signing him is silly IMO. Age has to be a factor in any signing scenario.

vCash
    If you can get Dickey cheap.. you go for it..

If both he and the team are doing well, then you keep him even without a contract extension. If the team is out of contention, then you flip him at the deadline and probably get the same value you payed of him back from a desperate team

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    R.A. Dickey seams like a good pickup. I would give up a top prospect(s) for him. Cus unlike regular pitchers you dont have the high snapping motion. Its more of a shot put. Thats why knuckleballers last longer. I can see Dickey pitching another 5 years
    Last edited by nithanyo; 11-13-2012 at 04:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    R.A. Dickey seams like a good pickup. I would give up a top prospect(s) for him. Cus unlike regular pitchers you dont have the high snapping motion. Its more of a shot put. Thats why knuckleballers last longer. I can see Dickey pitching another 5 years
    I can too but that's not the problem, the problem is whether he can maintain this high of a level.

vCash

Pitching Guaranty

There is never a 5 year guaranty on anything, however, his quality of Pitching allows him to be a solid #2 and just think when you go from a Power Pitcher of Morrow to the knuckleballer of Dickey and than back to Ricky Romero, how messed up the opposition batters will be in a series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Across the board, he had some pretty crappy/average seasons. To compare Wakefield and Dickey seems weak. Just because they're both knuckleballers doesn't mean squat. Dickey was having a Cy Young year, Wakefield was a bottom of the rotation starter from 36 and on. It's pretty safe to say Dickeys going to want, and possibly get, ace type of dollars. I have no issue in trading for him but signing him is silly IMO. Age has to be a factor in any signing scenario.
    From 2002-2009 Wakefield (age 35-42) Wake threw 1400+ innings with a 4.25 ERA and a 110 ERA+. His worst year during that stretch was 04, and while the ERA looks bad it's important to keep in mind he had a 99 ERA+ - meaning that he was a league average starter.

I wouldn't call any of those seasons MVP spoke of as crappy. And keep in mind his ERA was usually better than his FIP, so his WAR doesn't credit him as much as it should.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    From 2002-2009 Wakefield (age 35-42) Wake threw 1400+ innings with a 4.25 ERA and a 110 ERA+. His worst year during that stretch was 04, and while the ERA looks bad it's important to keep in mind he had a 99 ERA+ - meaning that he was a league average starter.

I wouldn't call any of those seasons MVP spoke of as crappy. And keep in mind his ERA was usually better than his FIP, so his WAR doesn't credit him as much as it should.
    I used the word crappy to exaggerate a point. Wakefield was not that good. He is not a good example. In the context of things we're talking about a knuckleballer pushing 40 years old and a cy young season. The asking price on any contract will put him near the top in baseball as far as annual salary goes. I don't know about many around here but $15-$20 million a year on a guy that age seems like a silly notion and those are realistic expectations for someone who's been as good as he has been. I just don't think you can come to conclusion that because one guy, Wakefield, was an average to below average starter in his 40's, means Dickey will be too.

vCash
    The problem with all the talk I hear about trading or Dickey or signing Hamilton or Greinke is as follows

Say we trade for Dickey. Awesome he's good and would love to have him. However, will he put us In the playoffs? No. In order for that to happen AS would need to go out and get another A/B type pitcher a #1-2 guy and a solid LF player. It will take 3-4 moves of significant players to push the jays to the playoffs. And I just don't see AA doin so. Getting Dickey would mean AA needs to make 2-3 more significant moves and I just don't see it happening. Same reason why he beer got
    Fielder
    Darvish
    And same reasons why he won't get dickey, Greinke
    Realistically I can see AA signing marcum and trading for McCarthy
    Which wouldn't be too bad and would solve some issues. As for LF who knows. Torii Hunter?

I'd rather have at this point
    Morrow
    Marcum
    Romero
    McCarthy
    Alvarez
    That's a solid rotation that would be a successful offseason

vCash
    Also I would love to package rasmus+Escobar for a 1st baseman
    Two positions teams covet are the heads of infield and outfield
    We can trade starting SS and CF and in return try and get someone like
    Goldschmidt (.359 OBP) low salary, Arab eligible 2015, locked up to 2018 perfect AA target. Arizona is losing uptown as well they need a shortstop
    Rasmus could replace upton nicely for them and Escobar would be a great fit to play beside hill (familiarity) they kill two birds with 1 stone and we can grab a young power hitting 1B
    Maybe we can give them Lind as well and grab a starter or reliever from them like Ziegler or Ian Kennedy
    Hech moves to SS. Gose to CF. izturis at 2B and goldschmidt at 1B

Gose
    Lawrie
    Bautista
    Edwin
    Goldschmidt
    JPA
    Hech
    (LF)
    Izturis
    Last edited by lorneg34; 11-13-2012 at 01:06 PM.

vCash
    One rumoured SP candidate is off the board, Scott Baker signed with the Cubs today. One year deal worth $5.5MM with up to $1.5MM in bonuses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
    One rumoured SP candidate is off the board, Scott Baker signed with the Cubs today. One year deal worth $5.5MM with up to $1.5MM in bonuses.
    seems like an overpay for a guy coming off Tommy John who wasn't great to begin with

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    Rumor floating around some twitters that Rangers offered Olt to Atlanta , they send Simmons to Arizona and Upton goes to Rangers. Read this also on Rumor central as well, so don't know how accurate this is, but who knows with all the rumors being twittered around.

Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast