Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upton

vCash
    ^ True. But other than that, there really havent been others (Grandy could be included, but he his gone). I have to say, I've read some of the stuff on here and the more I think about it, Smyly is really right now a 4 or 5. Garcia is a utility OF, and yea, Nick has potential, but that is the key word, potential. If DD went out and pulled the trigger tomorrow, I cant really say I would be disappointed. The question would then become would he bat 2nd or 6th? But just think about it for a minute:

1) Jackson
    2) Upton
    3) Cabrera
    4) Fielder
    5) Martinez
    6) Dirks
    7) Avila
    8) Peralta
    9) Infante

Justin would get everything to hit because of the 3 studs behind him. Pitchers would be forced to challenge him because of who follows (especially Cabby and Prince). 1-5 would just be incredible my God...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Det4Life View Post
    Cabrera, Prince, Victor, Upton. Best 3,4,5,6 in the MLB?
    I think he`d be better suited to bat 2nd. He would get the best pitches that way because he would be protected by the best hitter in the game

vCash
    #2 was were my mind went first when the idea of Upton coming to Detroit was posted. The speed he'd provide Jackson is nice, get 2 guys on in scoring position for the big guys, not to mention the power upgrade over Berry.

vCash
    Anytime you can get proven talent you go get it. Beside being in Detroit there won't be as much pressure on upton to produce so I think he would work out get for us.

vCash
    And having two speedy guys 1-2 in front of the boppers would be incredible too. Either Jackson or Upton could go 1st to 3rd no problem

vCash
    Regardless, it will be very interesting to see what happens. DD is primed for another mega deal, and we all know Illitch is desperate to win. Would not be suprised to be watching a press conference at Comerica Park next week introducing Upton to the Detroit media

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso_Smith View Post
    Regardless, it will be very interesting to see what happens. DD is primed for another mega deal, and we all know Illitch is desperate to win. Would not be suprised to be watching a press conference at Comerica Park next week introducing Upton to the Detroit media
    Very much agreed. Our time is to win now, worry about the future later!

vCash
    I'll play the devil's advocate (only because I don't believe the rumor).

If the Tigers trade for Upton you're limiting the current roster to a 2-3 year window at the maximum. You are also pushing the current payroll to $180+. Sanchez won't be coming back and by trading Smyly you have a 3 man rotation and Porshit and Crosby as the 4 and 5. lol. Good luck with that.

DD and Leyland both said they don't see Dirks as a full time starter. So who is playing LF? Berry is not a starter either. You really want Raburn or Boesch starting in LF?

If the Tigers are truely set on trading for Upton, you are more likely to not trade all 3 of your cost controlled players (Smyly, Nick, and Garcia). Odds are that Max or Rick would be the 2nd piece along with Nick as the main piece in the deal. The DBacks are fairly set at OF right now so they would probably want Rondon over Garcia anyways but I don't think he's a guy the Tigers trade either.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    We basically just traded one of our better prospects in years (Turner) for essentially a mid-level 2B (Infante) so I think this is a deal Mr. I would make in a heartbeat. It would be tough to get rid of Garcia (due to him being so close to Miggy) but I'd be alright with the others at this point to get Upton's talent. Heck, he might even con his brother to coming here as well (Upton, Jackson, Upton outfield) and that would make us an even better defensive team as well as on the basepaths. This trade would put the most pressure on Crosby/Porcello. One or both would have to step up because we aren't signing Sanchez for $15 million a year for six years.

vCash
    So if you trade for Justin Upton, sign BJ Upton, and did nothing else you would have:

Jackson, CF
    Justin Upton, RF
    Cabrerra, 3B
    Fielder, 1B
    VMart, DH
    BJ Upton, LF
    Avila, C
    Peralta, SS
    Infante, 2B

Verlander
    Fister
    Scherzer
    Porcello
    Crosby

Dotel
    Rondon
    Alberquerque
    Villarreal
    Coke
    Oliver

Bench: Holaday, Worth, Boesch, Dirks, ????

vCash
    You still have Santiago under contract hoog.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    I really don't think BJ Upton is that much better of an option than Dirks. I would rather stick with Dirks considering how much BJ Upton would raise our payroll. Use that money elsewhere. BJ Upton has power and speed but he hasn't hit over .246 in the last 4 seasons. Last year his OBP was below .300 and he struck out 169 times. Last year Dirks hit .322 and had an OBP of .370. If you average out his K's he struck out less and he had a higher slugging percentage than BJ Upton. I think we'll have enough power in our lineup, we need to make sure we're balanced.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattpaw24 View Post
    I really don't think BJ Upton is that much better of an option than Dirks. I would rather stick with Dirks considering how much BJ Upton would raise our payroll. Use that money elsewhere. BJ Upton has power and speed but he hasn't hit over .246 in the last 4 seasons. Last year his OBP was below .300 and he struck out 169 times. Last year Dirks hit .322 and had an OBP of .370. If you average out his K's he struck out less and he had a higher slugging percentage than BJ Upton. I think we'll have enough power in our lineup, we need to make sure we're balanced.
    Dirks also had the advantage of hitting between Jackson and Cabrera, if BJ Upton hits there, he might hit .280 with 40 jacks. I would take my chances with Dirks next year for the price though, we have more important holes to fill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StriveGreatness View Post
    A back end of the rotation guy, a toolsy outfielder and a top 15 prospect. I think you guys are honestly overrating the pieces we would give up. Yes, NC and Garcia have a lot of potential but Upton is an MVP candidate with a lot of potential himself. Plus if we re-sign Sanchez, the loss of Smyly won't mean much.

We just need a RF bad and DD will do whatever it takes. We all know that.
    Sanchez is not resigning here. Anibal wants five years - Dombrowski wants to pay three years max for a #4 starter. Losing Smyly and Sanchez lowers the quality of our rotation a whole grade. Losing our top two hitting prospects lowers our depth another whole grade. Adding a large Upton salary takes money away from other areas of the field.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast