Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upton

vCash

Upton

Anyone else hear the rumor of Castellanos, Garcia, and Smyly being traded for Justin Upton? What is everybody's thoughts on this trade? Good? Bad?

I personally think that trading Garcia is a horrible idea. The kid is only 21 years old and has great speed and fielding abilities. Although he would most likely spend a lot of time in AAA, being under Cabrera's wing towards the end of 2012 i believe helped him greatly. I know Upton had a great year in 2011 but he didn't have the same year in 2012 and I wonder if it was only a fluke.

Thoughts?

vCash
    The rumor of a Justin Upton deal to Det in a package that included Castellanos, A.Garcia & Smyly definitely makes sense if Dbacks add piece
    Via Jim Bowden twitter

It does have my interest. Trading away a talent like Avisail and an unknown in Nicky C is tough to do but when you get a 25 year old talent like Upton it's hard to pass on.

vCash
    That is alot to give up, but thats what it will take to get Upton.

I think Upton would be a good fit for our team. He would be the best 6 hitter in baseball (where i would have him hit). He also would provide us someone who can actually play defense other than Jackson in the OF.

He has so much untapped potential even with his monster 2011 season. He also has improved his plate discipline in recent years.

This lineup sounds pretty good to me:

Jackson
    Dirks
    Cabrera
    Fielder
    Martinez
    Upton
    Avila
    Peralta
    Infante

We would most likely switch peralta and avila, but I would prefer Avila hit higher in the order than peralta.

vCash
    That's a lot to give up. a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cantstopthee View Post
    That's a lot to give up. a lot.
    Everything points to us getting more than Upton in return if this does happen.

Pure speculation on my part, but possibly Bauer? Seems as though Arizona has soured on him.

vCash
    I highly doubt that they would give up Bauer and Upton.

vCash
    I honestly think that's too much for Upton. I also don't like the fact that he's a free agent in 2016, so we'd only have him for 3 seasons. If we're gonna give up Nick C and Garcia I'd rather see us go after Carlos Gonzalez or Giancarlo Stanton. I just get this bad prima donna vibe from Upton and I know he has all kinds of talent but he doesn't seem like he plays up to that potential all the time. I think Nick C's value could be put to better use. Or we could just sign Josh Hamilton and hang on to our young talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Victimize View Post
    I highly doubt that they would give up Bauer and Upton.
    Bauer has some attitude issues as well as control. Like I said, they have somewhat soured on him and he has been mentioned in trade rumors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattpaw24 View Post
    I honestly think that's too much for Upton. I also don't like the fact that he's a free agent in 2016, so we'd only have him for 3 seasons. If we're gonna give up Nick C and Garcia I'd rather see us go after Carlos Gonzalez or Giancarlo Stanton. I just get this bad prima donna vibe from Upton and I know he has all kinds of talent but he doesn't seem like he plays up to that potential all the time. I think Nick C's value could be put to better use. Or we could just sign Josh Hamilton and hang on to our young talent.
    We don't have enough to get Stanton...

The only way we trade for CarGo is if we swap him for Fielder.

Hamilton is just too expensive

vCash
    A back end of the rotation guy, a toolsy outfielder and a top 15 prospect. I think you guys are honestly overrating the pieces we would give up. Yes, NC and Garcia have a lot of potential but Upton is an MVP candidate with a lot of potential himself. Plus if we re-sign Sanchez, the loss of Smyly won't mean much.

We just need a RF bad and DD will do whatever it takes. We all know that.

vCash
    I would do this.

Dirks, Nicky C, Ricky P and Casey Crosby for Upton and JJ Putz. We get are are corner OF and closer.

vCash
    The opportunity to add a 5 tool player (a perennial superstar) for unproven players (for the most part) seems good to me

vCash

Justin Upton?

There are rumours swirling out there that Detroit may be looking at acquiring the OF from Arizona. As often said, it would require sending away Nick C, Garcia, Smyly, and possibly more. Would you be willing to make this trade? I am more no than yes. Decimating our farm system worked last time when they got Cabrera, and none of the players the Tigers traded away ever really panned out. Upton has hige upside, but odds aren't the Tigers would not get lucky twice with major steals. But again, Illitch is win at all costs right now, and who says he wont go to DD and tell him to pull the trigger. IMO, it would be nice to finally see the Tigers produce some home grown talent, and not having to piece together their team via FA or trades. Get a superstar from your minor leagues every once and a while.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso_Smith View Post
    Get a superstar from your minor leagues every once and a while.
    Justin Verlander.

vCash
    That IS a lot to give up. BUT, like people have said... we'd be giving up unproven "MLB Talent". Yes, Garcia spent a little time with the Tigers, but not enough to really show what he'll actually be. Upton has tons of talent AND talent that is still potential.

I'd hate to give up those guys, but I think I'd be ok with that deal. Cabrera, Prince, Victor, Upton. Best 3,4,5,6 in the MLB?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast