Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I know I didn't, and never said I did.
    I know you didn't, and I didn't say you did. But you said it now because the Mets decided it was right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I mention numerous reasons as to why this was a bad idea and there was one certain poster that was adamant that Sandy was doing this because the Mets would draft less HS guys and blah blah blah blah.

Anyways, just glad that they righted a wrong.
    If you mean me, I believe you are incorrect. I never stated fewer would be drafted because that was never my point.

My point was that fewer would sign. Mets signed 7 of 21 HS players drafted in 2012 (33%). In 2011 they signed 11 of 20 HS draftees (+50%). I don't know what the overall numbers for MLB are when comparing 2012 to 2011 per the percentage of HS draftees that signed. Feel free to look those up.

Also, my point had nothing to do with Sandy Alderson. It was based on allotting teams a fixed sum of bonus monies.

My other point was that a GCL team wasn't a necessity in player development. Many teams have "holes" in their systems. A number of teams do not have a senior short season affiliate, a number do not have an upper level rookie league team, etc. Most systems ask players in their first three seasons to make a larger jump at some point.

I also never said eliminating the GCL team was the right move, only that ppl were overreacting to the elimination of the team. And they were.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-08-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I mention numerous reasons as to why this was a bad idea and there was one certain poster that was adamant that Sandy was doing this because the Mets would draft less HS guys and blah blah blah blah.

Anyways, just glad that they righted a wrong.
    What may have been right for last year could be wrong for this year. Last year they were in dire straits financially, with the Madoff thing unsettled and minority interests unsold. So, based on the number of new signees they anticipated, they figured the 2 short season teams would suffice.

This year, they are in better financial shape, and more importantly, the new CBA changed the lay of the land. There will be a larger and earlier influx of new talent.

So, it's possible that both decisions were right. In essence, they righted a right.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    No they did not because they knew what the rules of the new CBA were last year already and again saving 1 million for saving 1 million was idiotic. These are owners that spend 5 Grand on taking a helicopter from PSL to Miami so they can watch a basketball game.

They tried to save 1 million at the cost of player development and that was idiotic to begin with period.

vCash
    http://metsminorleagueblog.com/gulf-...team-for-2013/
    This is unequivocally a good thing. The Mets did not have a GCL team in 2012, and instead made due with Kingsport, in teh Appalachian League as their lowest-level domestic affiliate. Kingsport, suffered for it, finishing at 23-43, the second-worst record in the Appalachian League. More importantly, the players struggled. First year guys straight out of high school who were drafted in 2012 and players in their first year stateside after playing in the Dominican and Venezuela were jumped to Kingsport.

The new collective bargaining agreement moved the deadline for players and teams to sign from August 15 to July 15, so more American guys will sign and play in the year they are drafted. Now, the high schoolers will have an appropriate team to play for. Also, with the high-ceiling high school guys playing in the GCL, there will now be more playing time for the more developed collegians, who might turn into org pieces in the Appy League.

This was about correcting a mistake. Criticize the mistake (cutting the GCL team in 2012) if you would like, but make sure to recognize that the Mets have admitted their error and applaud that they fixed the problem for 2013.
    This is the bottom line for me now, they admitted to making a mistake when they brought back the league.

Others and I pointed out why this was going to be a problem when they eliminated that team when it was made and were proven right.

vCash
    Very good decision. You know, this offseason is off to a pretty good start, hopefully a sign of things to come.

vCash
    I pretty much suspected this would happen, but it's still interesting to see the Mets' front office reverse themselves so quickly. After deciding less than a year ago not to field a GCL Mets team in 2012, New York has decided to return to having a domestic complex league club.

Alderson and DePodesta no doubt noticed how badly the org's teenage rookie-ball prospects struggled this year. The 2012 Kingsport Mets were by far the youngest team in the Appalachian league, and they had had the worst OPS and ERA in the league (although somehow they still finished 3.5 games ahead of the woeful Bristol White Sox).

I'm curious about what people think of this. Was it a big developmental mistake to send all those raw high-school kids to a higher level than they could really handle? Or does it not really matter, as long as they were getting game reps?
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...uch-a-hot-idea

vCash
    So it DID matter that they had GCL team, what a surprise...

As I said at the time this was BS move about nothing more than saving money, funny, but I bet the same people who said it didn't matter are applauding the decision to bring it back.

This team redefines mendacity. We're owned by lying cheating begging scum.[/QUOTE] No, that's an insult to the homeless and to beggars actually, they're worse, they're liars, cheats and con men as well.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 11-11-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12