Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Stan 'The Man' Musial turns 92 today

As members of the St. Louis Sports Commission, Maryville University and other associates sought to add broader appeal and increased recognition to the National Sportsmanship Awards that are held here annually, they discussed ways to capture the spirit of the honor — “class, character, selflessness and integrity” in sports.

They wanted a name for the award that could embody such lofty ideals.

They chose Stan Musial.
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...1a8891e4f.html

He's currently only the 36th oldest living ballplayer, but he's one of the most legendary.

His teammate Red Schoendienst will be 90 in February and still coaches Spring Training. Those two must be doing something right.
    Last edited by redbird89; 11-21-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Cardinals forum

vCash
    Happy Birthday Stan, one of the more classy guys to play baseball and 1 of the all-time greats.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

vCash
    I love me some Stan the man.

and I don't think this necessarily belongs in the Cardinals forum. He is a baseball legend, somehow, he is still alive. A top 10 player of all time

When I was in college, I worked at Bank of America in Frontenac (St. Louis rich area), and Stan Musial would come through the drive through occasionally. Only person I will likely ever know that can have a license plate on his Cadillac that says 'Mr. 3000'

And yes, he did have that.

vCash
    I wish I could've seen him play myself. I've only heard great things about him.

vCash
    Met him when I was 5 or 6. My dad got him to sign a poster for me.
    Glad to know he's still kicking around

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I love me some Stan the man.

and I don't think this necessarily belongs in the Cardinals forum. He is a baseball legend, somehow, he is still alive. A top 10 player of all time

When I was in college, I worked at Bank of America in Frontenac (St. Louis rich area), and Stan Musial would come through the drive through occasionally. Only person I will likely ever know that can have a license plate on his Cadillac that says 'Mr. 3000'

And yes, he did have that.
    i will take your word on the legend part, growing up in California no one ever talked about him, hell he isn't even the best player from his era still alive, that's Mays, in fact, i can think of 5 people from that era more talked about and beloved off the top of my head.
    I hope his quality of life is still good, what's the point of being that old if you wake up not remembering anything and not knowing anyone unable to get up and eating, drinking and pooping through a tube.

vCash
    Happy Birthday Stan "The Man" Musial! He's such a legend Pujols asked not to be called "El hombre" at one point during his time with the Cardinals.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash

Stan 'The Man' Musial turns 92 today

I love Stan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    i will take your word on the legend part, growing up in California no one ever talked about him, hell he isn't even the best player from his era still alive, that's Mays, in fact, i can think of 5 people from that era more talked about and beloved off the top of my head.
    I hope his quality of life is still good, what's the point of being that old if you wake up not remembering anything and not knowing anyone unable to get up and eating, drinking and pooping through a tube.
    You can look up just about any list of the greatest baseball players ever and Musial will be in the top ten, possibly top five.

The reason Musial got so little recognition is because he played in "fly over country."

Baseball Almanac lists him fifth all time, ahead of Mays
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/lege...lisab100.shtml

and Musial was 10th according to another rating system
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/lisn100.shtml

Over 22 seasons, Musial had a .331 BA, .417 OBP, .559 SLG, and .976 OPS
    Willie Mays line: .302 BA .384 OBP .557 SLG .941 OPS

Statistically Musial was the better offensive player. Each played 22 seasons and each lost a season to the military (Musial WWII and Mays Korea).

Musial had a higher BA and OBP and OPS than Hank Aaron, Honus Wagner, Willie Mays, and Joe Dimaggio. His SLG was better than Aaron, Wagner, and Mays.

Musial had

Three MVPs (and six other top-5 finishes), 20 time All-Star, 3026 games, .331 batting average, .417 OBP, .559 Slugging Percentage, .976 OPS, 159 OPS+, 475 HRs, 1951 RBIs, 3630 Hits, 1599 BBs and 696 Ks.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...ated-superstar

Here's an interesting article comparing Mays and Musial stats-wise
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion...7a4a78c22.html

Musial is one of the greatest baseball players of all time. He doesn't get the attention he deserves.

I think Stan and Mays are both known as class acts.

Willie Mays tells of an All-Star Game in the '50s. The other white players rudely shunned several African-American All Stars. In contrast, Musial walked over to a table of ostracized players and asked if he could join their card game. "I never forgot that. We never forgot that," Mays said.
    http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-jou...934738b3b.html
    Last edited by redbird89; 11-21-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    He is pretty safely cemented as a top 10 position player of all time

Mays and Aaron are the only one's from his era ahead of him, and they both started a decade after him, and Musial was a better hitter than both (not as good of an overall player though).
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 11-22-2012 at 12:23 AM.

vCash
    The Mays-Musial story makes me smile.

vCash
    Stan is easily top 10 of all time and hell I have in my top 5 of all time. I know it's cliche, but from everything I have read about him many of his peers have said as great as he was on the field he was an even better man off of it.
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

You want to go first?

vCash
    I shared this in last year's thread:

Great guy from what I've ever heard. One of my favorite stories my dad tells me is about Stan Musial.

My grandfather moved to LA in the late 40s, he was a huge Giants fan and baseball fan in general. Naturally he was excited when baseball came to LA even if it was the Bums. So he took my dad to his first game when they got the chance around '58 at the Colliseum. My dad remembers my grandfather turning to him when Stan Musial came to bat and saying we stand up and clap for him he's a damn good guy and damn good ball player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad_Racing View Post
    I shared this in last year's thread:

Great guy from what I've ever heard. One of my favorite stories my dad tells me is about Stan Musial.

My grandfather moved to LA in the late 40s, he was a huge Giants fan and baseball fan in general. Naturally he was excited when baseball came to LA even if it was the Bums. So he took my dad to his first game when they got the chance around '58 at the Colliseum. My dad remembers my grandfather turning to him when Stan Musial came to bat and saying we stand up and clap for him he's a damn good guy and damn good ball player.
    Thanks for sharing.

You want to go first?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast