Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Acoustic Guitar Players... I Need Suggestions.

So, i'm currently in the market for a new acoustic guitar. Planning to spend up to about $500, and wondering if you guys have something in mind. I want a solid top this time, been playing the cheap Ibanez IJV50, but it is quite something else.

It was my first guitar that I bought a little over a year ago. Didn't knew then what to look for and ended up with it. It is a dreadnought, neck is bigger than most guitars, action is way up there, laminated spruce top, everything that most people would recommend not to buy for a beginner. Even though I went through that, I believe that my learning curve was accelerated due to those facts. I'd probably think the non-dreadnought/jumbo adult size guitars are like half size or 3/4 size . Even though it had those flaws, that thing produces great sound. Resonance holds up well too. Planning to keep it as my POS guitar for camping/beach/etc.

Since I am ready to make a leap for a better quality guitar, I kinda want to narrow the list. There are way too much out there. I know, I know... it will still depend on how comfortable it is to me and the sound of it.

Any suggestions within the price limit of 0-$500?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...coustic-guitar

Or any Dean. I've wanted a nice acoustic for a while but just can't afford it. Something like a Taylor or Martin.

vCash
    Yeah, been playing around since yesterday. I'm thinking about delaying it and increase my budget. I'm not personally looking at new ones either. I played this Taylor yesterday, omfg, it was just perfect. I didn't even bother looking at the model because i'm afraid I will start obsessing about it and save up another 2500 for it.

Played this one Fender yesterday, around the 800 range, one on my potential list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I haven't ****ed with many Fender acoustic guitars. My main electric is an '82 Fender Fat Strat made in the U.S.A. Bought in basically perfect condition about 5 years ago for $200 (just as an example of how good of deals you can find if you have the patience and good fortune).

My acoustic is an '86 Takamine (not sure on other details than that) that was purchased for $250 about 15 years ago and still plays great.

In both these cases, the axes where purchased from people I know (not from shops) but the point remains.
    I'm not a fan of Fender acoustics but Strats in general are my favorite electric. I had an American Standard Strat with Texas Special pups in it and it was by far the best guitar I ever owned. I miss it

If you're serious about playing acoustic, save up and get a Taylor or Martin. If it's just a hobby you do every once in a while, get a Dean or Fender or something similar. Or not, I don't give a ****.

vCash
    I don't know if it's really worth spending $500 on an acoustic guitar. If you want to spend more than that, that's when you'll get a real quality guitar.

I was in the same scenario a 4-5 years ago. I wanted to spend $500. I ended up buying a $200 Alvarez. My brother had the same one, and I liked it.

I never looked back. I don't play in front of crowds, but I wouldn't be too worried if I did. I'm a decent player, too. I'm nowhere near a beginner anymore. I've been playing for upwards of 10 years now. Again, guitar is mostly just a hobby for me. But it sounds like you're in the same type of stage of your career that I was in when I bought this.

Here's a review: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revie...rd8/index.html
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...coustic-guitar
    http://www.amazon.com/Alvarez-RD8-Ac.../dp/B0002D0BA4

Again, I don't know if you're going to see a huge difference in quality with a $500 guitar. But I also had the luxury of playing this same exact guitar before I bought it.
    Last edited by Driven; 11-09-2012 at 05:39 PM.

vCash
    Check out the dreadnoughts......The best sounding ones to me have been Taylors and Martins

vCash
    I don't think I can buy a guitar without testing it. I don't plan on making it as my career, but it is one of my favorite hobby. I like playing around people and I don't even like getting the attention. If given a chance, I don't mind playing with any band who is willing to play with me. I just want something that can last me a very long time. I know spending more than $500 for the reasons I stated, but might as well get the best one I could if it means that it will stay with me decades for now. I live in LA, so no extreme weathers here to ruin the guitar.

I'd get that Taylor I said before, but it is too expensive and will far exceed my intentions.

Although I learned on dreadnoughts, I don't want to deal with that kinda size of a guitar again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    I was in the same boat last year around Christmas time. I was looking to buy my old man a new guitar so we could jam together. I have a Fender acoustic. I have had it for about 15 years now. I personally like the Fender acoustic, they are a good guitar to learn on. But of course I would rather be playing on a Martin or a Taylor.
    So anyways I was browsing around Guitar Center last year narrowing down my choices and they had a Martin on sale for 399, marked down from 600. They also had a Taylor for 499 marked down from 650. (These are ballpark estimates, I don't remember the exact markdown but they were somewhere close) So I played both of them and I really like the tone of the Taylor but the Martin just felt better in my hands and played very easily. I was torn. I couldn't make a decision. So I left without buying to mull over my decision for a few days. I decided I loved the sound of the Taylor and the price point really swayed my decision. So about a week later I went back to buy it but I couldn't find it anywhere. And the Martin that was marked down was no longer the same price. So I asked one of the sales associates if they still had any of the Taylors for that price and he said no. I was quite beside myself and pissed that I didn't just buy the Taylor when I had it in my hands. Sensing my frustration the sales associate asked me why I wanted the Taylor so badly. I told him that the price was what sold me. Then he said to me, "Let me give you a piece of advice. Don't buy a Taylor or a Martin if it is under $1000." He explained to me that the lower end Taylor and Martin guitars and manufactured in Mexico and made with a different wood that the higher end ones made in America. (sorry for making you read all of this, there is a point, I promise.) So he started talking to me about a Seagull. I had never heard of them until he told me about their line of guitars so he pulled one off the shelf, and also the Martin that I was looking at and another Taylor that was around the same price as the one I originally set out to buy. He started jamming on the Taylor, then the Martin and when he got to the Seagull he was like you're gonna be surprised by this thing. And you know what I was. It has a great tone, good resonance and it is a beautiful guitar. The headstock is a little funky looking but I guess its because they're made in Canada, eh.
    Anyways, long story short I was thoroughly impressed with the Seagull and I bought it for my old man and he loves it. Check em out, I think you will like it too. I hope this helps you make a choice. I think I paid just over 400 for it and that wasn't even a sale price.

vCash
    ^ I was actually was impressed with Seagull too. I'm not just looking for a Martin or a Taylor, just something that sounds great for my budget. As I said before, price do matters when it comes to guitars.

Played few Seagulls the past week, and definitely is on my list. I do agree about the headstock too. But hey, it gives a bit of a character than the generic design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    martin and taylors both get the job away.

listening suggestion: john fahey- last steam engine.

vCash
    I think everyone here knows that Martin makes the best acoustic guitars; not everyone has the money for one though.
    I wish I did Hell, I wish I had the money for a new acoustic period.

vCash
    I think everyone here knows that Martin makes the best acoustic guitars; not everyone has the money for one though.
    they offer models at $499 i believe. that's a lot of bang for the buck.

if someone is going to go through the trouble of saving $250-$300 bucks for an acoustic, they might as well have the patience to save another $200-250 to get an affordable Martin or Taylor. Those are for-life quality instruments.

vCash
    I've been meaning to buy a top of the line guitar for a while now, and just haven't been able to make up my mind. In a perfect world I'd be getting two top of the line guitars: one Martin and one sick as **** electric (Gibson, EGC, PRS....still can't decide). Probably end up getting the electric first.
    ive been saving up for the gibson es-359 for nearly two years now. i'm almost there.

vCash

vCash
    If money, or lackthereof, is what is holding you back from pulling the trigger on your purchase then I suggest checking out http://www.americanmusical.com/6-Str...oustic-Guitars. This place is legit, way better than musicansfriend. They let you do payment plans, not layaway. You order and pay your first installment and then they withdraw from your checking account on a monthly basis, whatever day you authorize them to do so. Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast