Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    I don't think he is top 5. He is also too much of a head case for me. No way I would give him that kind of money. If I was the Yankees or Angels I would be interested in signing him as a #2 but I wouldn't give him more than 18 million a year. I think he would be better off as being the second guy as apposed to being the main go to guy in the rotation. I think the less pressure he has the better it is for him.
    How is a headcase?

Because he has anxiety?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    I don't think he is top 5. He is also too much of a head case for me. No way I would give him that kind of money. If I was the Yankees or Angels I would be interested in signing him as a #2 but I wouldn't give him more than 18 million a year. I think he would be better off as being the second guy as apposed to being the main go to guy in the rotation. I think the less pressure he has the better it is for him.
    Lol he's a headcase. And even funnier that he's not an ace. Have you seen Greinke's #s?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    It's funny because Greinke is better than Weaver
    At what? Or is it just because you said so

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    Lol he's a headcase. And even funnier that he's not an ace. Have you seen Greinke's #s?
    Yes and there are a number of pitchers that have better numbers. No one is arguing that he isn't very good. However if you are demanding 25 Million per year you better be the best in the game which Grienke isnt even close too. As for being an ace he hasn't been the ace of a staff since he left KC.

vCash

Zack Greinke's asking price is.........

Grienke is at best 5-10 Bert pitcher in the MLB...not top 5. Is he an "ace" yes and no, depending of the staff. In any case, he is a very good pitcher ad certainly the best FA this year. That alone builds his hype. He will definitely get more than he is worth but I double he gets 150 mil.

6x120

A Real American HERO !!!

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Dodgers rule.

vCash
    Greinke is a legitimate ace.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Greinke is a legitimate ace.
    That's how he's going to be sold. I think he's a 20 million dollar pitcher, which is more relevant to his FA. I question that he's one of the 5 best pitchers in baseball - he isn't - and that I would want him to be *the* anchor in my rotation (an anchor? hell yes).

vCash
    I honestly don't think Greinke is a top tier ace. He has only had one year of real consistency

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPosey View Post
    I honestly don't think Greinke is a top tier ace. He has only had one year of real consistency
    First of all, that's impossible.

How can you be consistent for one year?

Secondly, since 2009 (last four seasons)

Greinke is 5th in fWAR (23.5) behind Verlander, Lee, Hernandez, and Halladay

He is tied for 3rd in FIP with Verlander and Halladay

And he is 3rd in xFIP behind Halladay and Lee

14th in innings
    and he is 4th in K/BB

If he isn't a top-tiered pitcher in all of baseball, then I guess Verlander, Halladay, and Hernandez are not either.

He is an absolute beast on the mound. He doesn't sustain the best ERA, but he is clearly doing his part to be a dominant pitcher, and he deserves to get 'ace' caliber money.

vCash
    If he wants that type of money, he should sign with the Rockies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

14th in innings
    and he is 4th in K/BB

If he isn't a top-tiered pitcher in all of baseball, then I guess Verlander, Halladay, and Hernandez are not either.

He is an absolute beast on the mound. He doesn't sustain the best ERA, but he is clearly doing his part to be a dominant pitcher, and he deserves to get 'ace' caliber money.
    Completely agree. As i stated in the previous pages, he is defenately a top 5 pitcher. He should and probably will get 20-22 million a year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

14th in innings
    and he is 4th in K/BB

Jeffry don't be stupid. There is a very clear way to show consistency over a 6 month seAson. What an asinine point of
    View.

I really can't believe you would say something that unintelligent.
    Last edited by KingPosey; 11-11-2012 at 07:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPosey View Post
    Jeffry don't be stupid. There is a very clear way to show consistency over a 6 month seAson. What an asinine point of
    View.
    Do you know what the definition of consistency is?

You said he
    Which isn't true.

He has been very consistent.

He had one year of elite caliber play, and has been consistently dominant since them (the last three years).

Last three seasons
    FIP

IP

BB/9

K/9

I don't know what else he is supposed to do to be more 'consistent'

vCash
    Greinke by rWAR

2004: 3.6
    3.3 in 2012

Nothing wrong with calling him inconsistent, and you can beat teams will look hard into his character. Even if it was over a half decade ago, this is still a player who almost quit playing pro ball because he was not feeling right in the head. If you're going to put 20+ million into him, and some team will, you better be sure of what you're getting.

I do think those WAR numbers don't fully reflect the talent level of the player and he's closer to the 4-5 WAR pitcher he's been on FanGraphs. He's entering his prime years as a pitcher and I will not be surprised if he's well worth the money he's paid (possibly he even offers surplus value). He has many attributes that I think will allow him to age very gracefully as a pitcher (fit, athletic, healthy, throws hard, gets strikeouts, only recently relying less on his fastball).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    Completely agree. As i stated in the previous pages, he is defenately a top 5 pitcher. He should and probably will get 20-22 million a year
    There are exactly 3 pitchers in the MLB making more than 20 million per year. Johan Santana, CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee. I think everyone will agree that Johan Santana is not worth that much money. CC Sabathia has been the anchor of the rotation in probably the most pressure filled market in baseball and is an annual Cy Young candidate. Cliff Lee signed his contract when he was one of the hottest pitchers in the game and again an annual Cy Young candidate.

Zach Grienke on the other hand has yet to be the true standout ace on any staff since leaving KC and is one year removed from missing 200 IP. Upwards of 25 million per year for the next 5 years would mean he has to pitch in a big market and I would assume if you are one of the top 3 highest paid pitchers in the game that the team that signs that contract will want him to e the anchor of their rotation. I am just not so sure that Greinke could handle the expectations of playing in a big market with that kind of money. Those fanbases will be expecting an expecting an extremely dominant pitcher for that kind of money (see Verlander dominance).

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast