Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Not a fan of the Wilpons so it really doesn't bother me.
    You're not a fan but you believe the nonsense their puppet GM comes out with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koobs View Post
    To me, it just comes across as extremely childish. I never understand how people can think itís clever or whatever.

Turning Lebron into Lebum, Sandy into Spindy, Krod into Kfraud, the Wilponís into the Coupons, the Brooklyn Nets into the Brooklyn Nyets.

It reads as something from the mind of a fifteen year old, not a grown man.

(Although I have to admit, I think Nets to Nyets has a smidge of cleverness to it lol).

I canít stand Roger ClemensÖcanít stand himÖbut you will never hear me call him anything but Roger Clemens, because thatís his name.

But, as you and Clay both said, to each his own.

It's reserved for people for whom I have absolute contempt. The Wilpon family and Sandy Alderson fit into that elite category.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    You're not a fan but you believe the nonsense their puppet GM comes out with.
    For the record, I didn't want Alderson. I wanted Terry Ryan.

I understood how dire the overall health of the baseball operation was when Alderson was hired. The farm wasn't that good besides a few gems. The parent club had quite a few bloated contracts that was strangling this franchise. I knew that it would take a few seasons for this franchise would be righted. Unlike yourself who thinks one signing will change the Mets 2013 fate.

Unlike many of the posters in this forum, including you. You see the Yankees spend money on Free Agents and question why aren't the Mets. And if the Mets don't spend on these Free Agents the owners are cheap. The irony of it is, the Mets have been trying to do just that prior to this front office, and they haven't won squat. The Mets needed to reinvest in the farm system not only in the draft and the IFA but with player development. And so far it looks like its working.

I understand that a vast majority of this fanbase want to sign Free Agents, But after Bay, K-Rod, Castillo, Perez, Alou etc., you would think that maybe this fanbase would want to try something else.

Or as Albert Einstein once said, Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    For the record, I didn't want Alderson. I wanted Terry Ryan.

I understood how dire the overall health of the baseball operation was when Alderson was hired. The farm wasn't that good besides a few gems. The parent club had quite a few bloated contracts that was strangling this franchise. I knew that it would take a few seasons for this franchise would be righted. Unlike yourself who thinks one signing will change the Mets 2013 fate.

Unlike many of the posters in this forum, including you. You see the Yankees spend money on Free Agents and question why aren't the Mets. And if the Mets don't spend on these Free Agents the owners are cheap. The irony of it is, the Mets have been trying to do just that prior to this front office, and they haven't won squat. The Mets needed to reinvest in the farm system not only in the draft and the IFA but with player development. And so far it looks like its working.

I understand that a vast majority of this fanbase want to sign Free Agents, But after Bay, K-Rod, Castillo, Perez, Alou etc., you would think that maybe this fanbase would want to try something else.

Or as Albert Einstein once said, Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Agree 100%.

Some people just have no patience. It's been a hell of a long time since the Mets were relevant. 6 years now, going on 7. The mediocrity we've seen since Beltran looked at that strike 3 has been hard to swallow for much of the fan base. That is the MOST successful Mets have been in my lifetime. Wasn't around for '86. So naturally I want to return to that level and get back to the postseason.

But some people just have no patience, especially with the Wilpons extremely bleak finances, and assume that we'll never get there while they own the team. That may well be. I'm starting to believe so myself. But those same people want to just throw money at big name guys and buy our way to a World Series. And I agree completely with you-- that's exactly what the last regime did, and it didn't work.

In the end, I think we'll finally break through IF we rid ourselves of the Wilpons but CONTINUE to focus on draft and growing our own players, along with sprinkling in a few talented FA's, rather than the other way around.

vCash
    SDome people just have no patience?

LOL!!!

No WS win since 1986, 1 WS app since 1986, 1 playoff app in 12 years soon to be 13 years etc and you're saying people have no patience?

Hilarious.

vCash

LOL!!!

No WS win since 1986, 1 WS app since 1986, 1 playoff app in 12 years soon to be 13 years etc and you're saying people have no patience?

Hilarious.
    Very True... I was born 2 days after the Mets won their last WS. I am also a Jets fan so I have not seen neither of my 2 teams win since I have been alive.

I have been patient and expect a winning team on the field. If they have to trade Dickey and Wright to get valuable future pieces then so be it. I would rather be patient for 2 more years watching a teams growing pains rather then seeing a less then mediocre team with no hope for the future other then maybe winning 80 games.

I don't want to see anymore Torres's on this team. If we are going to rebuild it must be done right.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    Very True... I was born 2 days after the Mets won their last WS. I am also a Jets fan so I have not seen neither of my 2 teams win since I have been alive.

I have been patient and expect a winning team on the field. If they have to trade Dickey and Wright to get valuable future pieces then so be it. I would rather be patient for 2 more years watching a teams growing pains rather then seeing a less then mediocre team with no hope for the future other then maybe winning 80 games.

I don't want to see anymore Torres's on this team. If we are going to rebuild it must be done right.

We've been as patient as any fan base of major market team, with no reward, in fact they generally find a way to either embarrass us (the 0'7 and '08 debacle), or they fart in our faces, like they did with Jose.

Trading them both is the best way to go, but then again, these fools won't invest anything in the team anyway, so I'd prefer to keep DW and lose than lose DW and still lose.

SA should be fired for the Pagan trade, what sort of moron gives up your starting CF'er for a reliever?

After all, all his defenders claim that the trade was for RR not Torres, the worst CF'er in baseball.

Since when did a CF'er have the same value as a reliever, and he wasn't even a closer or set up guy!!!

vCash
    Why is it if the Yankees miss the playoffs one season their fans are in an uproar saying "This is New York, not winning the world series here is unacceptable" but the Mets have one division title since 1988 and we get told we have no patience with the inept way this franchise is being run? This team has made the playoffs in '69, '73, '86, '88, '99, 2000 & '06, seven times in 50 seasons with a team based in New York is sad to say the least.

vCash
    We've been as patient as any fan base of major market team, with no reward, in fact they generally find a way to either embarrass us (the 0'7 and '08 debacle), or they fart in our faces, like they did with Jose.

Trading them both is the best way to go, but then again, these fools won't invest anything in the team anyway, so I'd prefer to keep DW and lose than lose DW and still lose.

SA should be fired for the Pagan trade, what sort of moron gives up your starting CF'er for a reliever?

After all, all his defenders claim that the trade was for RR not Torres, the worst CF'er in baseball.

Since when did a CF'er have the same value as a reliever, and he wasn't even a closer or set up guy!!!
    If you think we would even be resigning Angel right now you are more than likely heavily mistaken. And if you think Angel Pagan is the difference between the Mets competing or not in 2012, well then this discussion is useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

vCash

I agree with you up until the pagan trade. At the time the trade was made it seemed like a big win. Pagan was coming off a terrible year both offensively and defensively. We were getting back a similar player to pagan as well as a capable setup pitcher. The trade didn't work out. At the time the vast majority thought it was a great trade. Personally I was a big Pagan fan and didn't like the trade but most people on here did. As did the experts.

Honestly alderson is a puppet, you are right about that. However he did make some good moves. The wheeler move especially. I think he new trading Reyes was the right move but ownership would not allow it. Keeping Reyes has nothing to do with alderson and all about ownership. There is no doubt in my mind that alderson could put a winning team on the field if given the resources.

vCash

LOL!!!

Hilarious.
    And I laugh when people use that as an acceptable excuse. There is a difference.

Anyone who has ever said "I've been patient for "X" amount of years...when will this team turn it around." Isn't being patient. They are complaining behind a facade of "patience".

We waited since 1986 for this team to suddenly realize a rebuild was in order. That spending every year on a lot of mediocre over paid players just to grab the backpages was a bad idea (Kind of like what the Jets have become).

Patience is accepting that once this team finally turned in their new direction, we as fans now have to understand that it will take time to show progress. To correct the damage that has been done. This is why I have been warning against instant gratification. That this market could not accept a true rebuild. We as a fan base started complaining here the first two weeks of 2011.

I don't care how long it's been, this is not patience.

This team chose to "rebuild" 2 years ago (no matter the real reason). From that stand point...being "patient" since 1986 doesn't matter anymore. We've waited since 1986 for this team to take the stick out of their butt, now we have to try and be patient since 2010.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 11-14-2012 at 06:40 PM.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash

Einstein never actually said that but it remains one of my fave quotes, even if it was someone's imagination.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Einstein never actually said that but it remains one of my fave quotes, even if it was someone's imagination.
    It was actually Irving Einstein who said it. He and his brother Sam Einstein owed a fabric store on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. When they were standing on line at Ellis Island after their long trip from their native Poland they were arguing with the guy right behind them about the shape of pie plates. They insisted that pie plates are square and that is how Irving and Sam got their last name of Einstein.

They were actually born Irving and Sam Schwartz in Warsaw.
    Last edited by NY Sports Fan; 11-15-2012 at 03:08 AM.

vCash
    I couldn't find the ideal thread for this so I figured I would just put it in here.

If the Mets were to resign Dickey and Wright wouldn't it make more sense to front load their contracts? I know they are broke but what could really hinder this team the most is the Mets backloading their contracts. Paying the majority of those contracts on their least productive years where the Mets would have a need for better talent elsewhere. All while having no money to bring players in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DUMETROPOLITANS View Post
    The Reds are loaded in the outfield, so I believe they would trade Drew Stubbs, who at 28 is still young enough with upside. he gives us a center fielder, power and speed. I would dangle Dickey yeah I said that, for Mr Stubbs, and sign Melky
    Dickey for a 28 yo outfielder with career averages of .241 ba .312 oba, .386 slg% and .698 OPS all while playing his home games in one of the top hitting parks in the NL?

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast