Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    You can't possibly know that. Dickey will be the same at 42 as he was at 37? I think not.

Never say never about Niese. He continues to decrease his walk rate by the season and he is improving.
    Didn't say I know anything. I've an opinion, just like you do.

I hate this discussion because I come off as dissing Niese. I'm a big fan of Niese. I just don't see him dominating the league for the better part of a season like Robert Allen has done.

That's because he hasn't shown me the lights-out arsenal that we've seen from Dickey and his variety of knucklers. Funny, every conversation about Dickey seems to start with his age. Somehow, all the success we've seen from him in the last 2 and a half years is going to magically disappear as he turns 38, or 39, or 40, or 41 or whatever even though we know from history that knuckleballers often succeed in those ages.

Yes, I know Robert Allen isn't your typical knuckleballer. But then again, he's not your typical anything so it just seems foolish and short sighted to me to handicap him according to his age.

But we'll see.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Didn't say I know anything. I've an opinion, just like you do.

I hate this discussion because I come off as dissing Niese. I'm a big fan of Niese. I just don't see him dominating the league for the better part of a season like Robert Allen has done.

That's because he hasn't shown me the lights-out arsenal that we've seen from Dickey and his variety of knucklers. Funny, every conversation about Dickey seems to start with his age. Somehow, all the success we've seen from him in the last 2 and a half years is going to magically disappear as he turns 38, or 39, or 40, or 41 or whatever even though we know from history that knuckleballers often succeed in those ages.

Yes, I know Robert Allen isn't your typical knuckleballer. But then again, he's not your typical anything so it just seems foolish and short sighted to me to handicap him according to his age.

But we'll see.
    If we actually had a major league catcher and at least two major league outfielders, I'd agree with you and I'd want to keep Dickey. Unfortunately we have too many holes on this team and Dickey is going to be a FA soon. Niese is not. He will on the team all the way until after 2018 where he'd be coming off his age 31 season.

vCash
    If we actually had a major league catcher and at least two major league outfielders, I'd agree with you and I'd want to keep Dickey. Unfortunately we have too many holes on this team and Dickey is going to be a FA soon. Niese is not. He will on the team all the way until after 2018 where he'd be coming off his age 31 season.
    Right.

And there's an assumption that trading Dickey will fill those holes.

Not buying it.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Right.

And there's an assumption that trading Dickey will fill those holes.

Not buying it.
    Why not? He's about to win the CY Young and is making $5M next season.

If you could trade one, who would you trade? Dickey or Niese?

vCash
    Does anyone think d'arnuad could be had for dickey or niese

vCash
    Why not? He's about to win the CY Young and is making $5M next season.

If you could trade one, who would you trade? Dickey or Niese?
    Frankly, I wouldn't make that call as I think it's arbitrary. You trade the guy who is most likely to help fill those holes. I dunno, maybe that turns out to be Dickey. Or maybe it turns out to be Niese.

But here's the problem: The decision the Mets ultimately make won't be based on who they can trade to fill those needs but rather who they can trade to avoid paying an All Star's salary.

And that, my friend, isn't going to fill any holes.

vCash
    If it was possible I'd do both Arizona to get back Bauer,Upton for either pitcher and Flores,and maybe a Domingo Tapia and the other pitcher for D'arnaud

vCash
    Frankly, I wouldn't make that call as I think it's arbitrary. You trade the guy who is most likely to help fill those holes. I dunno, maybe that turns out to be Dickey. Or maybe it turns out to be Niese.

But here's the problem: The decision the Mets ultimately make won't be based on who they can trade to fill those needs but rather who they can trade to avoid paying an All Star's salary.

And that, my friend, isn't going to fill any holes.
    They don't want to pay a 38 year old big money. Who can blame them?

We aren't an 85 win team on the brink of contention. Moves need to be made, and I'm choosing the 26 year old Niese over the 38 year old Dickey if I had to trade one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Illwill161 View Post
    Yes, I think so.

vCash
    I think D'arnaud would be a score, I like wright but I feel like if we are building for 2015 I just don't think extending him makes sense I know the whole face of the franchise thing and putting fans in the seats but I think a team that is a consistent division winner will sell more tickets than D. Wright and consistently competing for a wild card. Profar and Olt for Wright along with the d-backs deal would give
    C- D'arnaud
    1b-Davis
    2b- Tejada
    SS- Profar
    3b- Olt or Aderlin Rodriguez when ready Olt could slide to left
    Rf- Upton
    Cf- Newihuise(sp?), Den Dekker (get a lot of offense from all other positions can carry an all glove number 8 hitting cf)
    Lf- Hairston,Olt,Duda

1- Harvey
    2- Wheeler
    3- Bauer
    4- Santana
    5- Gee
    That's a team I would be excited about and it would put me in the seats at least to me the rotation is probably a little thin but fulmer,gorski even a Chris young or someone on the cheap would be able to contribute go ahead and rip me up I can take it lol

vCash
    The Rangers have Adrian Beltre, therefore they have no interest in Wright. Trading Wright is not the answer anyway, he'll still be 32 in 2015 so it's not like he'll be an old bum.

vCash
    Nope. Only in a deal for Harvey or Wheeler would D'arnaud be in the mix.

vCash
    For Dickey, d'Arnaud would need to be the center piece and we'd get maybe another prospect. If it were for Niese, we'd have to add another major leaguer like Ike, which I would not do.

If we traded with the Jays, I'd say the catcher we'd be getting is Arencibia so we could get back other quality players such as Gose.

vCash
    They don't want to pay a 38 year old big money. Who can blame them?

We aren't an 85 win team on the brink of contention. Moves need to be made, and I'm choosing the 26 year old Niese over the 38 year old Dickey if I had to trade one.
    Me.

Or did you completely gloss over my point about why you can throw age out the window with RA Dickey?

vCash
    While I agree that Dickey still has plenty of good years left, age doesn't just effect the arm. Knuckler or not, it still takes a toll on the legs, back, and in Dickey's case, the knuckles .

I would prefer to take Niese just because he's still young, has shown signs of brilliance, is a southpaw, is under team control on a team friendly contract, and could be a very important starter for when Harvey and Wheeler start to reach their true potentials. Plus, Dickey could get us much mroe than Niese IMO.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast