Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Stubbs only hit 20 once and he did that laying in a pretty hitting friendly park. His value is essentially the same as Torres was, but yes he will hit more homers.

vCash
    Agreed. Idk what they'd trade Dickey for to be honest. It's a tough call cause I'm not really sure we'd get fair value.

vCash
    Well they wouldn't be very good this season but going forward it has a chance to be very good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    I agree. The problem with trading Dickey is that I doubt we'd get fair value back because of his age

vCash
    Sorry double post

vCash

Stubbs continued

What if arredondo was included plus one of their top pitching prospects like Robert Stephenson or Tony Cingrani, we'll throw in Ramirez for a change of scenery guy for them.

vCash
    Dickey for Billy Hamilton and Homer Bailey. That I would do.

vCash

re

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Billy Hamilton is their star player, won't happen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DUMETROPOLITANS View Post
    Billy Hamilton is their star player, won't happen
    Should say prospect

vCash

Homer

Quote Originally Posted by DUMETROPOLITANS View Post
    Should say prospect
    Furthermore the idea of looking at Homer Bailey's odd face every fifth day spooks me a bit.

vCash
    Yeah I might do that too. Hamilton seems to have legendary speed on the base basepaths
    And Bailey is improving little by little, to the point where he may be a good #2 or 3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Yes but the cumulative results Niese will give us at 25 will probably be better going forward than a 38 year old Dickey.

Under normal circumstances, i don't advocate dealing either but if the market is hot on pitching then Dickey is at his highest value coming off a Cy Young caliber season.

Niese is one of the cornerstone pieces moving forward, whereas i don't see Dickey being nearly as valuable 3 years down the road. I think Niese took steps towards being a number 2 starter last year and will continue that trend next year.

His overall numbers were very good, i think sometimes he doesn't get the credit he deserves.
    Again, I must disagree, courteously.

A 38-year-old knuckleballer is the equivalent of a 30-year-old in normal pitcher years.

At least.

Dickey has as many as 5 solid prime years left. To your point, Niese might have more but he doesn't have anywhere near the upside Dickey has. Dickey is ace material. Niese is a good middle-of-the-rotation.

Point is, Niese is not nor will he ever be the ace that Dickey is now and will be for maybe as many as the next 5 seasons.

As much as I like Jonathan Niese, I'm not ready to depend on him nearly as much as I would Robert Allen.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Hamilton has blazing speed, obviously, but I'm not sure if he'd ever be a good major league hitter. He did have an impmressive average in A+ ball in 2012 and hit a little lower in AA, but still pretty good, but again, I don't know if he can ever be a good hitting leadoff guy. The dude will make it just because of his speed though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Again, I must disagree, courteously.

A 38-year-old knuckleballer is the equivalent of a 30-year-old in normal pitcher years.

At least.

Dickey has as many as 5 solid prime years left. To your point, Niese might have more but he doesn't have anywhere near the upside Dickey has. Dickey is ace material. Niese is a good middle-of-the-rotation.

Point is, Niese is not nor will he ever be the ace that Dickey is now and will be for maybe as many as the next 5 seasons.

As much as I like Jonathan Niese, I'm not ready to depend on him nearly as much as I would Robert Allen.
    You can't possibly know that. Dickey will be the same at 42 as he was at 37? I think not.

Never say never about Niese. He continues to decrease his walk rate by the season and he is improving.

vCash
    You can't possibly know that. Dickey will be the same at 42 as he was at 37? I think not.

Never say never about Niese. He continues to decrease his walk rate by the season and he is improving.
    I don't think he'll be the same at age 38 as he was at age 37, if only because he is probably the front runner to capture the Cy Young award and the Knuckler is so enigmatic that it's hard to project the following year being anything close.

That said, I think it wouldn't be realistic to see him post a trend of something like this over the next few years. Speaking from an ERA standpoint.

2013: 3.30
    2014: 3.60
    2015: 3.80-3.90
    2016: 4.1
    2017: 4.3

Maybe it won't be that dramatic, or maybe he'll continue to excel, but he has gotten better with each passing year he has been in Flushing. I see no reason to believe that he's just going to dramatically drop off initially.

www.DailyStache.net You Gotta Believe
    R.I.P UAPeople

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast