Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    @ HCF, the problem with fiscal conservatism in regards to the Republican Party is that it has become a punchline.

They havent followed through...not once...when they have had an opportunity to do so,and instead simply shifted spending from 'poor people giveaways' to "wealthy people give aways"(lol).
    That is the most stunning fact of the GOP, that its supports dont seem to be able to get their heads around.
    they rail at wasteful social programs for lazy people, and the give away the same millions to businesses that dont need it, and wind up rewarding share holders with greater profits ,which only bebefit the economy through their limited increased spending.
    IT NEVER TRICKLES DOWN.

@ Pats..the sticking point will be that sequestration aviodance idea will be argued over.
    Rs will want to extend everything and spend (forever) the next year fixing the tax code.
    Ds want the 98% thing.

Ive heard Rs now saying that they will let him increase revenus through deduction eleiminations equalling the same total.This is a matter of splitting hairs given the idea the entire Tax code will be worked on.It smacks of just another ploy to save face and appear to have been the party to supply the solution.
    If I was Obama I would take it, he has secured his legacy, if they NEED this to sleep at night, im fine with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    First, you need to get some sleep my friend.

The most (by population) Democratic state (mine) did not redistrict by Republicans but in fact it was an independent committee, composed of equal numbers of Republicans, Democrats, and Independents, with specific rules not to include politics in their redistricting. However, the main point I want to make, is if you look at the aggregated popular vote, across the country, the GOP lost there, as well as the loss of seats.

The electorate is different in off year elections, it tends to be older and smaller, but not always. The gains by Democrats in this election, were muted (but not eliminated) by redistricting, as proven by the aggregate popular vote. If this were not true, the Democrats would have a majority the House too.
    I agree with all of what you are saying. That present trends have the country moving towards the Democrats side of the aisle due to the Republicans becoming the party of special interests. That the only saving grace they have right now from being the pure minority party is the redistricting. My opinion on it is that they have roughly 4 more years to get their acts together. That even if they putz around and do nothing they will start to see further losses but maintain control through the next midterms. Though not beyond that if they don't have a fundamental fix to the party. Basically it boils down to fixing the party during the 2nd term of Obama that is the time frame they have to work with.

They need to be agreeable to immigration reform, gay marriage, dropping the "assault" on women by simply stopping the attacks on places like planned parenthood. If they can get that done and get away from the social issues mess they are in they can turn the party around by the next presidential election if not they will go the way of the Whig's.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    I agree with all of what you are saying. That present trends have the country moving towards the Democrats side of the aisle due to the Republicans becoming the party of special interests. That the only saving grace they have right now from being the pure minority party is the redistricting. My opinion on it is that they have roughly 4 more years to get their acts together. That even if they putz around and do nothing they will start to see further losses but maintain control through the next midterms. Though not beyond that if they don't have a fundamental fix to the party. Basically it boils down to fixing the party during the 2nd term of Obama that is the time frame they have to work with.

They need to be agreeable to immigration reform, gay marriage, dropping the "assault" on women by simply stopping the attacks on places like planned parenthood. If they can get that done and get away from the social issues mess they are in they can turn the party around by the next presidential election if not they will go the way of the Whig's.
    HCF, years ago, I said I did not leave the Republican Party, the Republican Party left me. If the GOP put up a modern day Ike, I could vote for him. I agree with a great deal of your post.

As a side note, my parents were Republicans. I was raised as an Eisenhower Republican. The party changed, not me.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345