Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Polite cut, Cox brought back. McClendon to practice squad

The Falcons have made a change at fullback today by releasing Lousaka Polite and bringing back Mike Cox, who was cut during training camp.
    The Atlanta Falcons today announced that they have signed fullback Mike Cox and released fullback Lousaka Polite. The Falcons have also signed guard/center Jacques McClendon to the practice squad.

Cox, 6-0, 252 pounds, was originally signed as a college free agent by the Kansas City Chiefs on May 2, 2008. After spending three seasons with the Chiefs, he was signed by the Falcons as a free agent on October 25, 2011. Cox saw action in nine games with five starts and helped pave the way for RB Michael Turner to post his second straight 1,000-yard season in 2011.

Polite, 6-0, 245 pounds, was originally signed by the Dallas Cowboys as a college free agent following the 2004 NFL Draft. He spent time with the Cowboys, Bears, Dolphins and Patriots before being signed by the Falcons as a free agent on August 11, 2012. Polite saw action in six games with five starts this season.

McClendon, 6-3, 324 pounds, was originally selected by the Indianapolis Colts in the fourth round (129 overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played in four games with the Colts in 2010 then spent time in Detroit and Pittsburgh. McClendon played in 49 games with 26 starts in four seasons at the University of Tennessee. As a senior in 2009, he helped RB Montario Hardesty run for 1,345 yards.
    Source

I personally like it. Polite was an awful pass blocker and if I remember correctly Cox will be an improvement in that aspect.

vCash
    Can't shake the image of Taylor Mays blowing up Mike Cox on a run in that Bengals preseason game. Hopefully he can at least help them in pass pro like you say because Ryan's on pace to get sacked 36 times, ten more than last season.

vCash
    Having Quizz in the game is nice because he's a reliable pass catcher from the backfield and he can make people miss. I know Turner's probably a better blocker but I'd like to see Matt Ryan's sack/pressure numbers with Turner in the backfield as opposed to Turner.

I feel he may be hesitant to throw to Turner because 1. He's pretty damn slow until he really gets going and 2. He can't catch.

vCash
    Turner has displayed surprisingly decent hands this season. Of course, he seems to catch best when standing still and wide open. Then again, I guess that is true for everyone besides Joe Hawley.

vCash
    Turner has caught 10 of 17 for 82 yards (8.3 avg) and a big chunk came on his 60-yd TD a few weeks ago. Rodgers has caught 24 of 28 for 190 yards (7.9 avg) -- they need more from him as a runner though, only 3.3 yards per carry.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 11-08-2012 at 01:41 AM.

vCash
    Maybe a dumb question, but why not bring back Mughelli?
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

#3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but why not bring back Mughelli?
    Not a dumb question, I'm wondering the same.

vCash
    Only thing I can think of is his injury was "career ending" [As in usefulness].