Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    They might like him but if they get slow after the season he will be the first to go along with the other new hires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginRondo17 View Post
    Athletic Director was and is still the dream job. Start at some high school and work my way up.
    You do realize that those jobs get TONS of applicants, too, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I hope for you that it is not seasonal, but it sounds to me like that is the case.
    Just because it's seasonal wouldn't mean that it's a guaranteed fire after the holidays. They could really like him and keep him.
    But its more likely more about nunbers than anything else. Its not a large atore where hours could be flexible too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerjug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    I'm not saying to not go for it. He can get a better degree and still go for it. If he's not able to get that job with a Sports Administration degree, he's going to be SOL.

And if he has a ton of loans, which it sounds like he does, he's going to need a good job to pay off those loans.

Would love to hear your reasoning for this.
    because a good amount of people from the college I go to that major in sports management now work in the sports field.... plus at least at my school it forces you to at least minor in some form of business as well

I'm not saying that it's the best degree by any means nor will it be the highest paying but to say its a waste of a degree is pretty ignorant
    Im sure location matters, but its just not a smart degree to get. Theres too much competition over too little jobs. If you dont get those jobs, yiure SOL, and you dont have anything to fall back on. Again, you can get a different degree and get a job that he wants. But the other way around, no so muh.

Youre friends that have a sports management degree... What do they
    do and what are their backgrounds? Where are they?

Its such a competitive field. And when you have loans to pay off and need money, like the OP does, it may make more sense to get a safer degree.

Just because a degree is a degree doesnt mean its going to get you somewhere. There are plenty of degrees that are high risk, includin yhr likes of sports management and journalism.

If his plan is to start at some high school and work his way up, it seems pretty pointless to get that degree. Especially when its tougher to get that entry level job

vCash
    Im sure location matters, but its just not a smart degree to get. Theres too much competition over too little jobs. If you dont get those jobs, yiure SOL, and you dont have anything to fall back on. Again, you can get a different degree and get a job that he wants. But the other way around, no so muh.

Its such a competitive field. And when you have loans to pay off and need money, like the OP does, it may make more sense to get a safer degree.

Just because a degree is a degree doesnt mean its going to get you somewhere. There are plenty of degrees that are high risk, includin yhr likes of sports management and journalism.
    I agree with you that it's not the safest degree and I didn't fully read the OP so I didn't understand his backstory, and again it might just be my school haven't researched much but mine forces you to at a minimum minor in some form of business. Many of them are doing entry level sales for Minnesota sports teams, some do other stuff such as marketing or HR.

Again I agree with many of your points in that it's high risk and competitive, but I guess it just struck a nerve when you said it was a waste of a degree

vCash
    Phone first thing Monday morning if you don't hear from them today or tomorrow. In instances like this it's good to be pushy. Shows that you are eager to work there.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: Disappointing regular season, hoping for good things in 2015.
    Indianapolis Colts: 5-2, Week 8 vs. Steelers
    Dallas Mavericks: New team, hoping for good things this season.
    Ottawa Senators: 4-1-0, games this week vs. Toronto, New Jersey, Chicago

vCash
    I called, they said they were still going through the applications and I would know by Tuesday now. Glad I called though, because I've been waiting by the phone all day, now I can just release and forget about it til Tuesday.

Also talked to a guy who got hired there and said they never got back to him for a week and half after he interview. Any other steps I should consider between now and Tuesday?

vCash
    Also found the manager I interviewed with on Facebook, add her or no?

vCash
    Always send a thank you email like a day or two after an interview. I know at least 2 companies that I worked for that didn't hire someone because they didn't.

vCash
    Don't add the manager on facebook. Maybe LinkedIn if u have one of those

vCash
    Not long after I called, one of my references letting me know they called him asking about me.

vCash
    Didn't hear anything on Friday, so I called and they said they were still going over applications and references and I should hear by Tuesday. I called this afternoon and asked if there had been any decisions made yet and was told the hiring manager wasn't in yet, but to expect a decision by the end of day. Couple hours later, I got the job! Start on Saturday morning.

vCash
    Congrats.

EBOLA EBOLA EBOLA

vCash
    Sweet! As mentioned, this may be a temp job and many people will be let go after the holidays. If thats the case, and you want to stick around, your next interview starts now. You have 6 weeks to show them you are too valuable to cut loose with the rest of the seasonals.

Good luck, and congrats.

vCash

If his plan is to start at some high school and work his way up, it seems pretty pointless to get that degree. Especially when its tougher to get that entry level job
    I currently have a Sports Management degree with a business admin minor, got hired by a professional baseball team right out of school. It isn't the degree it's the amount of internships you've done that employees in sports look at, and I had a ton.

You could have a sports management degree, a sports admin master, or a criminology degree, very few sports teams want a guy who has never worked in that kind of atmosphere, unless it's an A ball or D-League squad that just needs employees.

And the way America works now, no degree is guaranteed to get you a job, at least no undergrad degree. College is all about maintaining and gaining as much work experience as you can while there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123