Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Ok.

And coming on the heels of his recovery from a very challenging surgery, you don't think this puts him at further risk?
    Probably. I'd personally like to deal him and try to get about $5M in return.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Agreed.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Mets probably paid him about $17 million of that $19 million he's owed to go away.
    You know you've hit rockbottom when someone pays you 17 million to leave. Now that they have kissed that much money away the cheap pickups will start rolling in from the MASH Unit. Thank God they finally did it because there is no justifying keeping a .156 hitter on your roster no matter how much he's making.

vCash
    And I'd like Kaley Cuoco on my face. Hey, nobody wants the guy and God knows they have explored into trading him.

vCash
    Someone please explain how Sandy presumably talked the Wilpons into this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    The same way he convinced them to eat $18 million and part with Ollie and Luis 2 years ago. This was a master stroke, freeing up some payroll dollars and ridding the team of a major distraction. Anyone who calls Sandy a puppet has his head up his colo-rectal cavity.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Simple. He probably told them since they were paying Bay anyway, it was better to pay him and not let him hurt you than to pay him and let him kill you.

Sort of a no brainer if you ask me.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    simple. He probably told them since they were paying bay anyway, it was better to pay him and not let him hurt you than to pay him and let him kill you.

2 + 2 = 4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    You know you've hit rockbottom when someone pays you 17 million to leave. Now that they have kissed that much money away the cheap pickups will start rolling in from the MASH Unit. Thank God they finally did it because there is no justifying keeping a .156 hitter on your roster no matter how much he's making.

You know that gives me an idea for the 2013 Mets slogan...

"Hawkeye dreams on a Frank Burns budget"

vCash
    The Wilpons and the Katzs' are businessmen,Sandy is a lawyer, they knew they needed to do something and quickly to free up some money for this off season WITHOUT raising payroll, so they concocted this option "What if we offer Jason Bay a buyout...we owe him 21 million and change so let's offer him this...5 million up front and 16million in deferred salary with payments beginning in 2015 at say 4Million per year plus 6% interests on the principal amount, and we will offer him unconditional free agency to boot"

Now I am not saying this is the EXACT way it came about or the EXACT terms of the deal they made but it is a very probable scenario which allows Bay to seek other options during the off season and frees up at least another 10million(and possibly as much as 16million) for immediate use.

It made sense for the front office and it made sense to Bay both of who won't have to wait for spring training to get resolution to the situation.

This is IMHO how it all came about.

vCash
    I don't believe a significant portion was defered, according to reports, and Sandy believes he has a little more flexibilty, not a lot.

vCash
    I don't believe a significant portion was defered, according to reports, and Sandy believes he has a little more flexibilty, not a lot.
    well that is all about "Definition" how does he define "a little more" when you are talking about a payroll with a strict 100million cap,when you knew 80million plus was spoken for in contractual obligations, plus figure another 12 million minimum for position players due a raise and you're quickly over 90million, somehow, someway you also have to put say 2-3 million aside for call ups/injury replacement players and voila you are now at 95million which has left you nearly nothing to fill in the gaps that MUST be addressed. 10-16million more in the coffers from a deferred payment buyout of Jason Bay would then just be that..offer a "little" more flexibility, I would think the definition of "a lot more" would be 25-30% added to payroll, not the 10% the Jason Bay buyout(at least under the the speculative terms I posted) would qualify as just what Sandy said...a little more.

I think until the actual facts of the buyout leak(which they will eventually) it's all just moot talking points for us.

vCash
    About a buck 50 is my guess.

vCash
    Simple. He probably told them since they were paying Bay anyway, it was better to pay him and not let him hurt you than to pay him and let him kill you.

They did it to free up a spot on the 40 man roster. They didn't want to lose a prospect for someone who was going to get cut in the spring.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Still better than if we just flat out cut him.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast