Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    vCash
    I could see Lutz becoming like a Mike Carp, I guess. A DH/Corner Infielder for an AL Team is probably in his future, if he has one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    He was 24 last season and will be 25 for the majority of next season. He's not even in his prime yet. He's better than his brother with the bat.
    The Mets won't get him anyway.

vCash
    I won't argue with that, but downplaying his talent is the only problem I had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I won't argue with that, but downplaying his talent is the only problem I had.
    He's not someone I trust to deliver, I'm not downplaying talent, but his production, and his splits scare me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    I'm starting to think there is very little chance Wright and Dickey will be Mets next year. I just hope they can get the best return possible.

Please just eat bays contract or deal with him over the next year. No Vernon Wells.
    I can honestly say they won't get great return for them because just about every GM out there knows the Mets financial struggles and know that they can't and won't resign Wright especially to a deal to his liking. And Dickey will want a considerable raise for at least three years which you and I both know they won't offer. The Mets don't have a good poker face and everyone knows it. Why give up prospects for a possible rental when you know you will have a shot next offseason to try and sign them as free agents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    I can honestly say they won't get great return for them because just about every GM out there knows the Mets financial struggles and know that they can't and won't resign Wright especially to a deal to his liking. And Dickey will want a considerable raise for at least three years which you and I both know they won't offer. The Mets don't have a good poker face and everyone knows it. Why give up prospects for a possible rental when you know you will have a shot next offseason to try and sign them as free agents.
    Your perspective does not take into account:

What a team receives for a player is mostly dependent on the other team's degree of desire to obtain that player, and how many teams are pursuing the same player. If five teams are trying to acquire a player, naturally, the price becomes competitive and rises.

Sandy Alderson is well seasoned. People were surprised he extracted Wheeler from San Francisco when everyone knew Beltran was going to be dealt. How did he do that without a poker face? 1. The Giants apparently wanted Beltran badly. 2. There may have been competition from Atlanta or another team. 3. Alderson is experienced.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    You do realize that both Dickey and Wright could get compensation from the team acquiring them. That makes both players far more attractive than acquiring Carlos Beltran where San Fran received nothing in form of compensation.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Your perspective does not take into account:

What a team receives for a player is mostly dependent on the other team's degree of desire to obtain that player, and how many teams are pursuing the same player. If five teams are trying to acquire a player, naturally, the price becomes competitive and rises.

Sandy Alderson is well seasoned. People were surprised he extracted Wheeler from San Francisco when everyone knew Beltran was going to be dealt. How did he do that without a poker face? 1. The Giants apparently wanted Beltran badly. 2. There may have been competition from Atlanta or another team. 3. Alderson is experienced.
    The Giants were desperate for a bat and were rich in starting pitching at the same time. Not many franchises can make that claim. Alderson won't pull off another one of those miracles. Giants fans out here were scratching their heads for months and into this season after that deal. If they resigned Beltran and he did for the Giants what he did for the Cardinals this season then it was a good deal for both teams but the Mets have a possible future ace and Beltran walked and didn't even help get them in the playoffs. Win for the Mets, can't say that very often but Iam sure it wasn't because Sandy pulled some Jedi mind trick to get them to part with Wheeler.
    Last edited by SILVER SEAVER; 11-14-2012 at 12:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER
    I can honestly say they won't get great return for them because just about every GM out there knows the Mets financial struggles and know that they can't and won't resign Wright especially to a deal to his liking.
    Really? Are you serious?

How do you suppose every GM "knows" that, when they keep publicly stating that this is what they are working on, and when news of a reasonable opening offer has already broken?
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    The Giants were desperate for a bat and were rich in starting pitching at the same time. Not many franchises can make that claim. Alderson won't pull off another one of those miracles. Giants fans out here were scratching their heads for months and into this season after that deal. If they resigned Beltran and he did for the Giants what he did for the Cardinals this season then it was a good deal for both teams but the Mets have a possible future ace and Beltran walked and didn't even help get them in the playoffs. Win for the Mets, can't say that very often but Iam sure it wasn't because Sandy pulled some Jedi mind trick to get them to part with Wheeler.

The SFG were so close and they proved that this year - they took a big gamble, but one that could have paid off - it wasn't a dumb trade on their part it was just a lot to give up. SA did well, but that was a one-off trade where the seller made out like a bandit.

Apart from this deal SA has done nothing.

vCash
    If I remember correctly, Wheeler was only the 6th best SF prospect. Note he immediately became Met's best. Besides the Met's really wanted Gary Brown (CF). Giants said, "No."

Solution to Met's troubles - since they really cannot trade - is simply borrow more money. Money is cheap now and available. Gamble that you can turn the club around with quality free agents - e.g., Cabrera, Braxton, etc. Team will be competitive and will bring fans to the ballpark and revenues will increase. The increased revenues take care of the interest on the debt (which is unbelievably low). Also gives farm system to produce some major league talent. But you have to know what you are doing otherwise it is more money lost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc View Post
    If I remember correctly, Wheeler was only the 6th best SF prospect. Note he immediately became Met's best. Besides the Met's really wanted Gary Brown (CF). Giants said, "No."
    It might have worked out for the Mets ultimately anyway.

Wheeler is a much better prospect since the Mets acquired him in 2011.

His control has increased considerably, and he has become a much better pitcher since coming to the Mets.

That's the major difference.

Gary Brown on the other hand has regressed since moving up to AA. His OPS dropped almost 200 points from 2011 to 2012. He's no young pup at 23 years old in AA either.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-15-2012 at 09:26 PM.

vCash
    That is not a known fact. Rumors about Gary Brown were media speculation. Young pitching is always a priority, I speculate the Mets preferred Wheeler. Where Wheeler was ranked PRIOR to the season is irrelevant. He was traded in July. A lot can change.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-15-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash

Solution to Met's troubles - since they really cannot trade - is simply borrow more money. Money is cheap now and available. Gamble that you can turn the club around with quality free agents - e.g., Cabrera, Braxton, etc. Team will be competitive and will bring fans to the ballpark and revenues will increase. The increased revenues take care of the interest on the debt (which is unbelievably low). Also gives farm system to produce some major league talent. But you have to know what you are doing otherwise it is more money lost.
    Wrong. Here is John Sickels's Top 20 Giants prospects coming into 2011:

1) Brandon Belt, 1B, Grade A-: Totally legitimate in my opinion, and second-only to Eric Hosmer among first base prospects.

2) Gary Brown, OF, Grade B: I admit some trepidation here. I love the speed, athleticism, and defense, but I admit I'm enough of a stathead to be concerned about the extremely low walk rate in college. I'll project him as a regular with this rating, but the shape that regular status takes is still uncertain in my mind, if his offense will really be as good as people expect. We'll see.

3) Zack Wheeler, RHP, Grade B: Not a great season, but the strikeouts and grounders are promising and I'll cut him some grade slack for another year.

Here is baseball america's Top 10 coming into 2011:

1. Brandon Belt, 1b
    2. Zack Wheeler, rhp
    3. Gary Brown, of

And since Belt was in the big leagues already, Wheeler and Brown were their two best prospects. Wheeler had the higher ceiling though with lesser performance. Mets took a gamble and were rewarded heavily.

vCash
    It sucks Wheeler's numbers are going to take a hit in the PCL (not considerably i am sure but a hit nonetheless)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast