Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    Lutz is a AAAA player, like Mike Hessman or Chris Carter. Some players can rake it in the minors but just can't hit major league pitching. There's a huge difference between AAA and MLB.

I understand that he only has 11 major league at bats, but hit is 1-11 with 5 K's and has gone 3-21 with 14 K's in 2 Spring Training years. He'll be a backup third baseman at best.
    That's ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    My understanding was that they wanted a SS, which is why I put Muno in the mix. Maybe he isn't close enough to ML ready.

Why has Zach Lutz's star faded? He has consistently shown his hitting ability, from a 22 yr old in low A to a 26 yr old in AAA his OPS has hovered around .900, and his defense at 3B is pretty good.

Upton has a huge upside, coming off something of a down year, so I think he could be gotten for the right package, not necessarily including Niese or Dickey. It seems to me that, after shedding Bay, we can afford his $9.75 million salary, if the FO wants to commit that much to one player.
    Muno is not a SS, he's a 3B or 2B. He's probably 1-2 years away.

Lutz could be an everyday 3B, but he's had issues with health and he's going to be 27 next year.

Upton's value is still extremely high even coming off a down year. They won't settle for anything less when they could get a better package elsewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    That's ridiculous.
    As in you don't agree or that he's just been really bad?

vCash
    As in you don't agree or that he's just been really bad?
    It's ridiculous to jump top conclusions and say he's a AAAA player already. He has never had an opportunity to play 3B regularly in the big leagues because he's blocked by Wright.

vCash
    He still has a slight chance to become something more, but things really don't look bright for him. He's 27 years old with only 11 major league at bats, which haven't been impressive. If he was really that good, they would've brought him up, regardless of him being blocked by Wright or not.

Again, the key thing is that he's 27 years old with only 11 at bats. If he was worth it, he would've been moved to another position by now so he could play more. He's shown he can put up very good numbers at AAA, but he just haven't shown any signs that he could take that and translate it into major league success. It may be a little too early to say that he'll only be a AAAA player, but, in my eyes, he only has a couple of years left to prove that he can be a productive major leaguer.

6. 11-11-2012, 05:24 PM
    Reason
    Be careful with these comments

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Why because he didn't hit in 11 AB?

He's been injury plagued throughout his career, and the Mets want him getting regular AB, not wasted on the bench. That might finally change next year, I'm sure he'll get a shot at being a platoon for Davis.

The reason he hasn't been called up is because he can only play 3B and 1B. We have Wright and Davis. He can't play 2B or the OF, so there you go.
    He couldn't hit in 11 AB's or the 20 something AB's in Spring Training and struck out a ton. He has looked completely overwhelmed. He's going to be 27 with only 11 major league at bats. That's what's most concerning. If he was really all that, the Mets would've made him an outfielder or second baseman and got him major league at bats. We did it with Murphy, we could've done it with him. Or they could've brought him up in the first half when Ike was terrible and played him at first.

He's injury prone, so why should I believe that's why he hasn't become that good yet? If anything, that hurts him even more. Why should we take at bats away from Ike, a 1st round draft pick who hit 30 homeruns, even with a horrible start, and give it to a 27 year old, injury prone player who has had only 11 at bats and has shown zero success at the major league level?

Until he proves himself otherwise, whether it be in Spring Training or in the Regular Season, I see him as nothing more than a AAAA player or a back up corner infielder.
    Last edited by Claymation; 11-11-2012 at 05:56 PM.

vCash
    He's had horrible luck with injuries. Multiple concussions, broken fingers, foot surgery, etc.

That is why he's going to be 27 years old with so few AB. Some guys just can't play a position, Lutz cannot play 2B without embarrassing you frequently. Murphy can hardly play 2B.

Saying he's going to be a AAAA player just because of him being 27 with no success in extremely limited AB is just plain idiotic.

vCash
    How? Lol. The fact is he's only had 11 ML at bats and 21 Spring Training at bats with no success, is 27 years old, and is very injury prone. Tell me why I should be optimistic and believe that Lutz can amount to anything more than a backup.

vCash
    How? Lol. The fact is he's only had 11 ML at bats and 21 Spring Training at bats with no success, is 27 years old, and is very injury prone. Tell me why I should be optimistic and believe that Lutz can amount to anything more than a backup.
    Cmon dude, how can you make accusations on a player in 11 AB and 20 AB in meaningless ST games?

vCash
    It's not just that, it's the fact that he's going to be 27 years old, has only had 11 at bats (when there have been opportunities that he could play in the majors i.e. Davis struggling early and Wright being hurt last year), and that he's had an abundant amount of injuries. I don't see how that all adds up to a productive major league ballplayer.

Also, just because it's Spring Training, it doesn't mean they aren't trying. There are moer players playing for their jobs than guys with guarenteed millions. Yes, they're meaningless in some respects, but it doens't mean they should be totally ignored. 1:3 strikeout per at bat ratio, at age 25 and 26, even in 21 "meaningless ST at bats" is nothing to be excited about.
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 11-11-2012 at 06:18 PM.

vCash
    It's not just that, it's the fact that he's going to be 27 years old, has only had 11 at bats (when there have been opportunities that he could play in the majors i.e. Davis struggling early and Wright being hurt last year), and that he's had an abundant amount of injuries. I don't see how that all adds up to a productive major league ballplayer.
    We'll see. Way too early to count him out. He may never emerge until he gets a fresh start.

BTW I'm kinda pissed my post got deleted for no reason.

vCash
    I think it was the "R" word that did it.

I don't thikn it's too early. For me, he only has 2 years tops to prove he can do somehting at the major league level.

vCash
    Looks like I stirred up a hornets nest by bringing up Lutz. IMO the fact that he has been injured so often has limited his development, which may be the reason that he has seemed to struggle at the major league level despite his age. But he hasn't had the opportunity to acclimate himself to big league pitching because he lacks versatility and he is blocked at the two positions where he might get playing time. He'd be much better off if the Mets would trade him to a team that needs more depth at first and/or third, or possibly even DH, like the Rays.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    They really wouldn't get much back for him. Maybe some 23 year old reliever in AA or something like that.

I would just hold onto him in hopes of him bursting out, which I don't think will happen.

vCash
    They really wouldn't get much back for him. Maybe some 23 year old reliever in AA or something like that.

I would just hold onto him in hopes of him bursting out, which I don't think will happen.
    Maybe if it was a 23 year old AA reliever like Robert Carson, we should do it.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast