Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 128
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    15,274
    vCash
    1500
    I'll just go on the record as saying I'd trade Flores, Niese, and Edgin (rumored they want a 3B, starting pitcher, and lefty reliever) for Upton no problem.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,774
    vCash
    1500
    They talked about Morse and Ellsbury in that article too.

    I would look into Morse given that it won't take as much to get him with his impending FA.

    I know he's a butcher in LF but we deal with Duda out there and if he hits like like he did in 2011, i can live with his defense.

    We all know Duda won't ever hit over .300 with 30 homers in a season.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-07-2012 at 06:51 PM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,774
    vCash
    1500
    My only hesitation with Upton is how bad he was on the road last year.

    Maybe they can get him buying low but .670 OPS on the road, 79 WRC+, and a wOBA of .298 aren't very impressive.

    There's also that characterization of him being lazy.

    Saying that, i think someone will overpay for him prospect wise (that wont be the Mets) considering the lack of superstar OF in FA in the coming seasons.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-07-2012 at 06:59 PM.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,740
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    I'll just go on the record as saying I'd trade Flores, Niese, and Edgin (rumored they want a 3B, starting pitcher, and lefty reliever) for Upton no problem.
    I'd say that would be a quality offer for Upton. That said, it only makes sense if and only if Wright and Dickey are re-signed. Otherwise, that's a bad move. Ideally they take Murphy and another prospect instead of Flores. I feel Flores' stock is going to go off the charts this year. I value Upton, but I don't see him hitting more than 22-25 HR for us annually. The potential for being a consistent 30HR guy is there, but I don't think he will ever be that type of consistent bat. But young premium OF are valuable, and I would gladly deal Niese and a prospect for him.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    15,274
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    My only hesitation with Upton is how bad he was on the road this year.

    Maybe they can get him buying low but .670 OPS on the road, 79 WRC+, and a wOBA of .298 last year aren't very impressive.

    There's also that characterization of him being lazy.

    Saying that, i think someone will overpay for him that wont be the Mets considering the lack of superstar OF in FA in the coming seasons.
    The only reason that doesn't scare me shitless is because he has a career .900+ OPS in Petco. Granted, it's only like 40 PA's, but he has 9 HR's in those 40 PA's. If he can hit at all there, then the home/away splits are likely just an issue of sample size, or other factors/random variation. I don't think anybody believes Citi Field was so pitcher friendly this year that it warranted Ike's OPS being about 300 points lower at home than on the road.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,774
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    The only reason that doesn't scare me shitless is because he has a career .900+ OPS in Petco. Granted, it's only like 40 PA's, but he has 9 HR's in those 40 PA's. If he can hit at all there, then the home/away splits are likely just an issue of sample size, or other factors/random variation. I don't think anybody believes Citi Field was so pitcher friendly this year that it warranted Ike's OPS being about 300 points lower at home than on the road.
    True, i still don't see him being quite the hitter he was in Arizona as he would be here though.

    That ballpark is an home run hitter's haven (i believe it gave up the most home runs in the league last year)

    We'll have to see but they are talking about Bauer possibly being in a deal for Upton too. That obviously would increase the asking price.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-07-2012 at 07:15 PM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,036
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    I think Niese is overrated. Struggles on regular rest and struggles with the big inning.
    I don't think he's overrated, I think he's a cheap, under control #3 starter.

    He did just fine on regular rest in the first half, and had no problems with the big inning at all.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,036
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    I'll just go on the record as saying I'd trade Flores, Niese, and Edgin (rumored they want a 3B, starting pitcher, and lefty reliever) for Upton no problem.
    I'd hesitate to make that deal. Where is our lefty reliever and we have another hole in the rotation. Dickey, Harvey, Gee, Santana(?) and Hefner/Wheeler?

    I don't think Upton is worth all that. It's not like he's a CF, he's a RF that was an above average bat in a great hitter's park. He's a little overrated, and he's not cheap money-wise either.

    I'd rather see if he's legit, and go after him in his prime after 2015.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    15,274
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I don't think he's overrated, I think he's a cheap, under control #3 starter.

    He did just fine on regular rest in the first half, and had no problems with the big inning at all.
    But #3 starters won't take this team to the promised land. And I'd argue that Niese is on the low end of the #3 starter totem pole, at least among playoff caliber teams. Upton could be a franchise cornerstone for us, or at least a solid 3-4 win RF with pop to fill the #5 spot in our lineup for a long time to come.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,036
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    But #3 starters won't take this team to the promised land. And I'd argue that Niese is on the low end of the #3 starter totem pole, at least among playoff caliber teams. Upton could be a franchise cornerstone for us, or at least a solid 3-4 win RF with pop to fill the #5 spot in our lineup for a long time to come.
    Huh? Sure they will. Not everyone is a #1/#2 starter, and you could argue he was a #2 this year.

    He was 24th in baseball in ERA with 3.40 and was only 25 years old. To me, a left-handed starter under control until after 2018 with a team-friendly contract is extremely valuable, definitely more valuable than a overrated RF in a great hitters ballpark.

    Even if Upton is the player you think he might be, do you think the Mets will re-sign him past 2015? He will command a **** load of money.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    @MattHunt22
    Posts
    6,310
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    My only hesitation with Upton is how bad he was on the road last year.

    Maybe they can get him buying low but .670 OPS on the road, 79 WRC+, and a wOBA of .298 aren't very impressive.

    There's also that characterization of him being lazy.

    Saying that, i think someone will overpay for him prospect wise (that wont be the Mets) considering the lack of superstar OF in FA in the coming seasons.
    His home/away splits in 2011 were scary as well.

    I'm not too keen on the idea of acquiring Upton.


    If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,774
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    His home/away splits in 2011 were scary as well.

    I'm not too keen on the idea of acquiring Upton.
    Yeah i am not particularly high on him either for that price, i think people fall in love with his talent and the fact that he is only 25.

    The problem is there aren't many potential superstar OF's out there on the market.

    It's either acquire Upton now, wait till he is a FA in 2015 (where he gets possibly significantly more expensive salary wise), or wait till Heyward and Stanton are FAs in 2016.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    78,546
    vCash
    1500
    Anthony DiComo@AnthonyDiComo
    #Mets don't intend to strike quickly for OF help, asst. GM Ricco says. Will let market define itself first. But they need a RH bat.

    Wait and see tat should be the mantra for the Mets from now on.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    923
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    My only hesitation with Upton is how bad he was on the road last year.
    It's not just last year...Last year's road/home splits are pretty much on par with his career road/home splits...

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ear=Career&t=b

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    923
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Wait and see tat should be the mantra for the Mets from now on.
    Anthony DiComo@AnthonyDiComo
    #Mets don't intend to strike quickly for OF help, asst. GM Ricco says. Will let market define itself first. But they need a RH bat.
    and that strategy worked so well with how they handled Reyes last year...dumbasses...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •