Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It sucks Wheeler's numbers are going to take a hit in the PCL (not considerably i am sure but a hit nonetheless)
    Unless Dickey is traded and Wheeler makes the big club outright.

Santana
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Wheeler

vCash
    Originally Posted by metswon69
    It sucks Wheeler's numbers are going to take a hit in the PCL (not considerably i am sure but a hit nonetheless)
    All pitcher's numbers take a hit in the PCL and hitters profit. Everyone knows it and takes it into account. It will not make him a worse pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post

Santana
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Wheeler
    You won't see Wheeler in Queens to start the season. The FO thinks he neeeds some more time and they are committed to playing it conservatively. If Dickey (or Niese or Gee) is traded, they'll resign Pelfrey or sign a low risk/high reward free agent for the #5 spot.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    All pitcher's numbers take a hit in the PCL and hitters profit. Everyone knows it and takes it into account. It will not make him a worse pitcher
    It certainly won't make him a worse pitcher, it's just a shame that his ERA may take a hit in ballparks that are extremely friendly to hitters.

If the Mets trade Dickey, Niese, or Gee its conceivable to see Wheeler start the season with the team (especially if he has a really good ST). He has exemplified excellent control and we certainly know he has the stuff to be on the major league roster.

It's not probable, but Wheeler will definitely open up some eyes this spring.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-16-2012 at 03:24 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    You won't see Wheeler in Queens to start the season. The FO thinks he neeeds some more time and they are committed to playing it conservatively. If Dickey (or Niese or Gee) is traded, they'll resign Pelfrey or sign a low risk/high reward free agent for the #5 spot.
    Wheeler is ahead of where Harvey was back in 2011. He's already dominated AA and he's done pretty well in his first few starts in AAA whereas Harvey only pitched half of the season in AA and did OK but not great.

Harvey then got bumped to AAA instead of going back to AA. I could see Wheeler jumping to the majors, he'll be 23 years old and will have a legit shot at a rotation spot if one is available.

Pelfrey is probably not going to be ready opening day, so that only leaves Hefner and maybe one of Mejia/Familia, but the Mets see them as relievers and that is where they profile best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It certainly won't him a worse pitcher, it's just a shame that his ERA may take a hit in ballparks that are extremely friendly to hitters.

If the Mets trade Dickey, Niese, or Gee its conceivable to see Wheeler start the season with the team (especially if he has a really good ST). He has exemplified excellent control and we certainly know he has the stuff to be on the major league roster.

It's not probable, but Wheeler will definitely open up some eyes this spring.
    I disagree. He's got average at best control. He'll go as far his command and secondaries take him because his raw stuff is there.

vCash
    I disagree. He's got average at best control. He'll go as far his command and secondaries take him because his raw stuff is there.
    Well excellent control was the wrong word i'll admit.

He did almost have a 3 to 1 K/BB in AA last year and i am sure if he can show that type of control or better in the spring (with an open SP spot if someone is traded) he could be on the opening day roster.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-16-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Not that I expect it to happen, but I'm still in shock that Uncle Bud Selig allowed the lopsided trade of Johnson, Buehrle, Jose and others to Toronto for essentially alot of prospects with potential.

Imagine if the Whimpons do that with Wright & R.A.........

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash

Santana
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Wheeler
    If he makes it out of spring training the Mets lose 1 year of control.
    If anything, the earliest you would see him is roughly by the 3rd week in April.
    He becomes super 2 eligible but the Mets gain another year of control. The Mets will probably bring him up in late June or later.

This has nothing to do with him being ready, but more of a financial reason.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789