Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 121 to 128 of 128
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,840
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It sucks Wheeler's numbers are going to take a hit in the PCL (not considerably i am sure but a hit nonetheless)
    Unless Dickey is traded and Wheeler makes the big club outright.

    Santana
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Wheeler

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500
    Originally Posted by metswon69
    It sucks Wheeler's numbers are going to take a hit in the PCL (not considerably i am sure but a hit nonetheless)
    All pitcher's numbers take a hit in the PCL and hitters profit. Everyone knows it and takes it into account. It will not make him a worse pitcher

    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Unless Dickey is traded and Wheeler makes the big club outright.

    Santana
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Wheeler
    You won't see Wheeler in Queens to start the season. The FO thinks he neeeds some more time and they are committed to playing it conservatively. If Dickey (or Niese or Gee) is traded, they'll resign Pelfrey or sign a low risk/high reward free agent for the #5 spot.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,881
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    All pitcher's numbers take a hit in the PCL and hitters profit. Everyone knows it and takes it into account. It will not make him a worse pitcher
    It certainly won't make him a worse pitcher, it's just a shame that his ERA may take a hit in ballparks that are extremely friendly to hitters.

    If the Mets trade Dickey, Niese, or Gee its conceivable to see Wheeler start the season with the team (especially if he has a really good ST). He has exemplified excellent control and we certainly know he has the stuff to be on the major league roster.

    It's not probable, but Wheeler will definitely open up some eyes this spring.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-16-2012 at 03:24 AM.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,840
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    You won't see Wheeler in Queens to start the season. The FO thinks he neeeds some more time and they are committed to playing it conservatively. If Dickey (or Niese or Gee) is traded, they'll resign Pelfrey or sign a low risk/high reward free agent for the #5 spot.
    Wheeler is ahead of where Harvey was back in 2011. He's already dominated AA and he's done pretty well in his first few starts in AAA whereas Harvey only pitched half of the season in AA and did OK but not great.

    Harvey then got bumped to AAA instead of going back to AA. I could see Wheeler jumping to the majors, he'll be 23 years old and will have a legit shot at a rotation spot if one is available.

    Pelfrey is probably not going to be ready opening day, so that only leaves Hefner and maybe one of Mejia/Familia, but the Mets see them as relievers and that is where they profile best.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,840
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It certainly won't him a worse pitcher, it's just a shame that his ERA may take a hit in ballparks that are extremely friendly to hitters.

    If the Mets trade Dickey, Niese, or Gee its conceivable to see Wheeler start the season with the team (especially if he has a really good ST). He has exemplified excellent control and we certainly know he has the stuff to be on the major league roster.

    It's not probable, but Wheeler will definitely open up some eyes this spring.
    I disagree. He's got average at best control. He'll go as far his command and secondaries take him because his raw stuff is there.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,881
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I disagree. He's got average at best control. He'll go as far his command and secondaries take him because his raw stuff is there.
    Well excellent control was the wrong word i'll admit.

    He did almost have a 3 to 1 K/BB in AA last year and i am sure if he can show that type of control or better in the spring (with an open SP spot if someone is traded) he could be on the opening day roster.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-16-2012 at 03:23 AM.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Posts
    16,124
    vCash
    1500
    Not that I expect it to happen, but I'm still in shock that Uncle Bud Selig allowed the lopsided trade of Johnson, Buehrle, Jose and others to Toronto for essentially alot of prospects with potential.

    Imagine if the Whimpons do that with Wright & R.A.........

    Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964



    Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

    ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,501
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Unless Dickey is traded and Wheeler makes the big club outright.

    Santana
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Wheeler
    If he makes it out of spring training the Mets lose 1 year of control.
    If anything, the earliest you would see him is roughly by the 3rd week in April.
    He becomes super 2 eligible but the Mets gain another year of control. The Mets will probably bring him up in late June or later.

    This has nothing to do with him being ready, but more of a financial reason.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •