Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 128
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    Who do you want them to spend money on? There you go again, saying they're throwing away talent. It's just a waste of time trying to get through to you.

    Who do you want to trade Niese away for?

    Are you saying the only way to improve the OF is to trade away talented young pitchers?

    If you feel it's a waste of time, then stop replying to my posts, it will not bother me 1 iota. You will not browbeat me into changing my opinions by insulting me either. I guarantee you that.

    The only time you trade away young left-handed cheap starting pitching is when you're getting a boatload back - who was the last quality left-handed starter the Mets developed?

    I think you know his name, he went on to have at the very least 4 back to back quality seasons, '05 thru '08 he would have helped tremendously right in the middle of our last 'contending' run.

    Letting him go was one of the most foolish trades in Met history. He struggled with injury at times, but so do most starters, he did not fulfill all his potential, but even still he would have helped us win so many more games just when we needed it.

    Here's what Towers has to say:


    "I'm in no rush," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said on Thursday. "I can't give you timelines. If somebody decides they want to knock your door down and they really want the player, then they can speed things up. I think it's less likely something happens sooner rather than later, if it happens at all."

    Right now, though, Towers has had discussions with his colleagues at the General Managers Meetings, but they've been more of the exploratory type, and nothing has gotten to the serious stage.

    "Our sights are set pretty high on what it would take, and if nobody meets what we're looking for -- and we'd like to address a couple of different areas -- if nobody meets it, then we stay status quo and keep him. We're a good team with him," Towers said.



    I understand the PR in this, but they have no need to move Upton, they can do as they like, and will set their price high, so the chances of getting more back for Niese than we give up in this instance looks slim.



    Oh and PS - You seem to know an awful lot about me, even though I do not recognize you at all...

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    @MattHunt22
    Posts
    6,292
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Who do you want to trade Niese away for?

    Are you saying the only way to improve the OF is to trade away talented young pitchers?

    If you feel it's a waste of time, then stop replying to my posts, it will not bother me 1 iota. You will not browbeat me into changing my opinions by insulting me either. I guarantee you that.

    The only time you trade away young left-handed cheap starting pitching is when you're getting a boatload back - who was the last quality left-handed starter the Mets developed?

    I think you know his name, he went on to have at the very least 4 back to back quality seasons, '05 thru '08 he would have helped tremendously right in the middle of our last 'contending' run.

    Letting him go was one of the most foolish trades in Met history. He struggled with injury at times, but so do most starters, he did not fulfill all his potential, but even still he would have helped us win so many more games just when we needed it.

    Here's what Towers has to say:


    "I'm in no rush," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said on Thursday. "I can't give you timelines. If somebody decides they want to knock your door down and they really want the player, then they can speed things up. I think it's less likely something happens sooner rather than later, if it happens at all."

    Right now, though, Towers has had discussions with his colleagues at the General Managers Meetings, but they've been more of the exploratory type, and nothing has gotten to the serious stage.

    "Our sights are set pretty high on what it would take, and if nobody meets what we're looking for -- and we'd like to address a couple of different areas -- if nobody meets it, then we stay status quo and keep him. We're a good team with him," Towers said.



    I understand the PR in this, but they have no need to move Upton, they can do as they like, and will set their price high, so the chances of getting more back for Niese than we give up in this instance looks slim.



    Oh and PS - You seem to know an awful lot about me, even though I do not recognize you at all...
    You bring up Towers when I already mentioned that I wasn't specifically talking about Upton. I don't want Upton with the package it is going to cost. Sandy Alderson said something along the same lines about Niese. He is not actively shopping Niese but he is open to trading him.

    Of course there are other ways to improve the OF other than the trade market. However, you mentioned spending money. Not only is this team not going to spend money on free agents in the immediate future, but the last time they did so resulted in Jason Bay. You have to understand to get quality you have to give up quality.

    Comparing Niese and Kazmir is ridiculous as well. The Mets traded Kazmir when he was not a proven commodity, for starting pitching in a playoff run. Niese is a proven commodity with an attractive contract. The Mets also didn't have a bright SP future at the time like they do now. I am only endorsing the dealing of Niese if the return is worth it, which you just mentioned in your post. Sandy isn't going to trade him just to trade him. If the opportunity presents itself to significantly improve the outfield, with the right player(s), then you pull the trigger. You can't hoard talent at one position hoping that the outfield will improve by acquiring journeymen. The rotation isn't going to carry our offense.

    It doesn't matter if you recognize me or not. It does not change what I know and do not know. I know what I am talking about. I recognize you because I mostly read these forums and rarely post. Every post of yours seems to be negative in some aspect.


    If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    27,529
    vCash
    1500
    McCulloughSL Drunk Nate Silver calling Billy Beane in the middle of the night. "I wouldn't have drafted you," Silver says.


    “Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    You bring up Towers when I already mentioned that I wasn't specifically talking about Upton. I don't want Upton with the package it is going to cost. Sandy Alderson said something along the same lines about Niese. He is not actively shopping Niese but he is open to trading him.

    Of course there are other ways to improve the OF other than the trade market. However, you mentioned spending money. Not only is this team not going to spend money on free agents in the immediate future, but the last time they did so resulted in Jason Bay. You have to understand to get quality you have to give up quality.

    Comparing Niese and Kazmir is ridiculous as well. The Mets traded Kazmir when he was not a proven commodity, for starting pitching in a playoff run. Niese is a proven commodity with an attractive contract. The Mets also didn't have a bright SP future at the time like they do now. I am only endorsing the dealing of Niese if the return is worth it, which you just mentioned in your post. Sandy isn't going to trade him just to trade him. If the opportunity presents itself to significantly improve the outfield, with the right player(s), then you pull the trigger. You can't hoard talent at one position hoping that the outfield will improve by acquiring journeymen. The rotation isn't going to carry our offense.

    It doesn't matter if you recognize me or not. It does not change what I know and do not know. I know what I am talking about. I recognize you because I mostly read these forums and rarely post. Every post of yours seems to be negative in some aspect.

    Sandy Alderson is full of it.

    It's not a ridiculous comparison at all. It is totally appropriate, he wasn't proven but he was very very highly regarded.

    And that's exactly why you don't trade him without getting a truck load in return, he's as valuable an asset as there is in baseball, as you have described.

    They need to spend money not throw away YOUNG AFFORDABLE TALENT, that is how the only way this team is going to survive and prosper under the
    Coupons.

    You don't like what I post, then don't reply. I am fine with that.

    Trading Niese is dumb unless you're getting a team to overpay.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10,400
    vCash
    1500
    I thought we were talking about trading Fred's niece…Agnes Birnbaum. I was all for that.

    If we're talking about trading Jonathan Niese……then I vote no.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    6,833
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    McCulloughSL Drunk Nate Silver calling Billy Beane in the middle of the night. "I wouldn't have drafted you," Silver says.
    Lmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    McCulloughSL Drunk Nate Silver calling Billy Beane in the middle of the night. "I wouldn't have drafted you," Silver says.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500
    Upton? Yeah, definitely. But not for Niese.

    Put together a package of prospects. Would they consider Familia, Puello, Muno, and Tapia?
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,626
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Upton? Yeah, definitely. But not for Niese.

    Put together a package of prospects. Would they consider Familia, Puello, Muno, and Tapia?
    The only way we get Upton is if we package Niese.

    It doesn't happen otherwise.

    They are looking for according to reports a SP, a 3rd base prospect (Flores), and another prospect.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The only way we get Upton is if we package Niese.

    It doesn't happen otherwise.

    They are looking for according to reports a SP, a 3rd base prospect (Flores), and another prospect.

    Count me out then. He's not a sure thing, and his resume has too many holes.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The only way we get Upton is if we package Niese.

    It doesn't happen otherwise.

    They are looking for according to reports a SP, a 3rd base prospect (Flores), and another prospect.
    My understanding was that they wanted a SS, which is why I put Muno in the mix. Maybe he isn't close enough to ML ready.

    Why has Zach Lutz's star faded? He has consistently shown his hitting ability, from a 22 yr old in low A to a 26 yr old in AAA his OPS has hovered around .900, and his defense at 3B is pretty good.

    Upton has a huge upside, coming off something of a down year, so I think he could be gotten for the right package, not necessarily including Niese or Dickey. It seems to me that, after shedding Bay, we can afford his $9.75 million salary, if the FO wants to commit that much to one player.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    Lutz is a AAAA player, like Mike Hessman or Chris Carter. Some players can rake it in the minors but just can't hit major league pitching. There's a huge difference between AAA and MLB.

    I understand that he only has 11 major league at bats, but hit is 1-11 with 5 K's and has gone 3-21 with 14 K's in 2 Spring Training years. He'll be a backup third baseman at best.
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 11-11-2012 at 01:10 PM.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NEPA
    Posts
    2,810
    vCash
    1500
    I think it's plain and simple. SA has flipped the open sign on trading. Does it mean he's actively trying to trade anyone? No. Does it mean every rumored trade has to be genuine and has to be done? No. He mentions that Pitching is for once a strength, and if he is seeking a bat (specifically an OF bat), he feels better trading from a strength than a weakness.

    All SA is saying here is that his team is open to deal, and if another team approaches with an offer, he'll listen to everything except Harvey and Wheeler.

    That's it. Outside of that statement, there is nothing to talk about here.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 11-11-2012 at 01:34 PM.

    THANK YOU PROKY!!!

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,516
    vCash
    1500
    I'd trade Niese, Flores and Havens for Upton.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    The only injury Havens hasn't suffered yet is death. I think Arizona would want a younger, less injury prone short stop.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •