Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    The right lost the gay marriage debate. The abortion debate is still very much in the middle. Being pro life isn't outside of the mainstream. It's only when you start talking about rape that you come across as a loon. Regardless, fiscal issues should be the focus of the party going forward.

vCash
    I was really hoping for Bachmannto lose but it looks like she barely pulled it out. They're done, it's just a matter of time before that c*** gets outed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    The right lost the gay marriage debate. The abortion debate is still very much in the middle. Being pro life isn't outside of the mainstream. It's only when you start talking about rape that you come across as a loon. Regardless, fiscal issues should be the focus of the party going forward.
    It's just a matter of time on abortion.

As much as we might talk about the country being right-leaning (and compared to other countries, we really are), the undeniable direction of moral progress is to the left.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post
    Dick Armey's group was a primary funder of the main Tea Party group. You remember him, right? It was in no way bipartisan, as every single candidate it fielded ran as a Republican.

Let me add to those who are pushing for the Republican party to jettison its social issues voters. Good luck! Your party made a conscious choice to dance with the evangelical devil, and you're not getting out of it that easily. Go ahead and try running a pro-choice candidate in your primaries, or a pro-gay-marriage candidate, or a. . .. gasp. . . gay person*. You'll see exactly what I mean pretty darn fast.

*By this I mean openly gay, not like Lindsay Graham, Mark Foley or Larry Craig.

this might interest you

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...nyAj_TWXsV3mrA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    It's just a matter of time on abortion.

As much as we might talk about the country being right-leaning (and compared to other countries, we really are), the undeniable direction of moral progress is to the left.
    I disagree. There hasn't been a lot of movement on the abortion question. Actually, slightly more people identify as pro-life now.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

vCash
    I disagree. There hasn't been a lot of movement on the abortion question. Actually, slightly more people identify as pro-life now.

As babyboomers continue to die off and science continues to disprove religion, I highly expect "pro choice" to become the norm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natelpete View Post
    As babyboomers continue to die off and science continues to disprove religion, I highly expect "pro choice" to become the norm.
    I don't think this will ever be a decided issue.

vCash
    Considering that Romney got nearly 50% of the popular vote suggests to me that half of america strongly supports the tea party movement in some shape or form. This was hardly the landslide this article is suggesting. The Tea party is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    The Tea Party has a weird history.

It started out as a fiscally conservative protest movement that focused on taxing and spending, but then all sorts of hardcore social conservatives branded themselves as Tea Partiers.

So, I don't know. The basic ideas of fiscal conservatism are alive and well. Whatever the group of people supporting those ideas chooses to label themselves doesn't really matter.
    If you're a fiscal conservative wouldn't that make you a democrate by default? Republicans spend money like there's no tomorrow whenever they get in office.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    I fail to see how a vote for Romney is a vote for the Tea Party.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash

I'm not saying it'll be next year or anything, but eventually. The zeitgeist moves ever on and on.
    Visit my Blog.

vCash
    If one thinks that Romney is tea party, that demonstrates a sore lack of understanding of both the tea party and Mitt Romney.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    The Tea Party supports 100% Republicans, although 100% of Republicans do not support the Tea Party, or reflect its ideology completely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natelpete View Post
    Pro choice and pro life will probably always be split. No matter how long down the road. It isn't as easy as saying we should legalize drugs and marriages.

Pro choice and Pro life will never kill a candidate. Being to much pro life will though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    the should really just drop the whole anti-abortion stance and move on. unless someone's part of the religious right, they're not going to think there's anything wrong with abortion. and the religious right is shrinking...that's the cold hard truth. they need to accept it and move on.
    I kind of figured that abortion was a 50-50 issue in this country. I was going to talk about how I don't think they need to become pro-choice, rather just ease up on contraception, the notion that pre-marital sex is a sin/makes you a **** and so on. Basically, just stop antagonizing women.

But 51% of Missouri voters said that abortion should be legal all or most of the time. 56% of Ohio voters the same thing compared to 39% that say it should be illegal. In Virginia it was 63% to 33%. NH it's 71% to 27%.

There is a gap.

I can't see them moving away from the consensus pro-life stance overnight...but they have to start easing back. Contraception isn't evil, in fact, it prevents more abortions than anything else. Women aren't sluts for having pre-marital sex (ahem, Rush), it takes two to tango...and it's also not a sin. Planned parenthood isn't an abortion factory, and starting to act like it isn't will help too.

I think they can keep their pro-life core to an extent, but the more frivolous things they have to let go. It's just gonna get worse.

At the very least, stop talking about rape.

Religion will continue to slowly lose it's appeal, but at least for the next few decades I agree with Sota; I don't think abortion is a make or break issue...at least so long as the GOP ease up a bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sota4Ever View Post
    Pro choice and pro life will probably always be split. No matter how long down the road. It isn't as easy as saying we should legalize drugs and marriages.

Pro choice and Pro life will never kill a candidate. Being to much pro life will though.
    I disagree, the social landscape seems to evolve almost every election. Imagine how bad a pro gay marriage candidate would do 50 years ago. Now, that's normal for a progressive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast