Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Chicago pizza and hot dogs are a ****ing joke.

Best hot dog I've ever had was at an Angels game.. some Cali dog deal.
    Man, I love Chicago pizza.

Chicago-style dogs, no thanks. I'm a chili cheese dog guy. Or, if at a ballgame, just ketchup.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Man, I love Chicago pizza.

Chicago-style dogs, no thanks. I'm a chili cheese dog guy. Or, if at a ballgame, just ketchup.
    I think you mean "Chicago pizza pot pies", rather than real pizza

vCash

ewing

I think if anyone believed that Romany was going to cut taxes by 20% across the board he would have won.

Why has no Rep candidate run a commercial that show their Democratic opponent and just plays the Beatles "Tax Man". That would work

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    How dare you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I think if anyone believed that Romany was going to cut taxes by 20% across the board he would have won.

Why has no Rep candidate run a commercial that show their Democratic opponent and just plays the Beatles "Tax Man". That would work
    The story doesn't work anymore. Maybe they see that over $1 trillion in lost tax revenue via Bush cuts is a big chunk of the national debt? Maybe they see continued debt unless people in the upper income levels start paying up? Maybe they saw 2 candidates with tax plans that weren't very different with the exception of the $250k+ yr crowd?

Whatever it is, the story ain't workin' anymore. They tried it in 08 with the "HE'S GONNA TAX YOU OUT OF YOUR HOME! YOU WON'T HAVE CLOTHES TO WEAR!" and then middle/lower class taxes didn't move much (mine actually went down) and now its like the boy who cried wolf.

Need to rewrite the rhetoric on the right.

vCash

ewing

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    The story doesn't work anymore. Maybe they see that over $1 trillion in lost tax revenue via Bush cuts is a big chunk of the national debt? Maybe they see continued debt unless people in the upper income levels start paying up? Maybe they saw 2 candidates with tax plans that weren't very different with the exception of the $250k+ yr crowd?

Whatever it is, the story ain't workin' anymore. They tried it in 08 with the "HE'S GONNA TAX YOU OUT OF YOUR HOME! YOU WON'T HAVE CLOTHES TO WEAR!" and then middle/lower class taxes didn't move much (mine actually went down) and now its like the boy who cried wolf.

Need to rewrite the rhetoric on the right.

I don't think voters see lost tax revenue as the reason for debt although it can amount to that.

I'm not upper level and i pay a lot. I believe he promised a 20% reduction across the board on income (while not telling me what deductions he would get rid of). 20% would make a difference to me but was never articulated in a way that flat said my taxes would go down and how we would deal with the spending side of the ledger as a result.

I think your right in assuming that a lot of people didn't think about the issue other then the 250,000 plus crowd. Personally i think that is a problem and one that is the probably result of 2 bad plans
    Last edited by ewing; 11-13-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    The chicago pizza and hot dog vs new york pizza and hot dog is a silly argument. I've lived in both places and the reason the food is so different is they serve entirely different functions. Everything in New York is designed to be done on the run from one thing to the next because that is the life of the new yorker. Pizza? Well fold the ****er then go. In chicago, the food is designed to stop you, chill the **** out. You have to sit down with a god damn knife and fork to eat pizza or a ****ing hot dog. It is what it is and it defines both cities well... I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I don't think voters see lost tax revenue as the reason for debt although it can amount to that.

I'm not upper level and i pay a lot. I believe he promised a 20% reduction across the board on income (while not telling me what deductions he would get rid of). 20% would make a difference to me but was never articulated in a way that flat said my taxes would go down and how we would deal with the spending side of the ledger as a result.

I think your right in assuming that a lot of people didn't think about the issue other then the 250,000 plus crowd. Personally i think that is a problem and one that is the probably result of 2 bad plans
    I think a tax cut is not a bad idea, in fact I think cutting nearly all the deductions and bringing the bottom rate down to 0% and the top rate to probably 30% would be a good policy. This would necessitate removing the special treatment of capital gains though. But it has to be be done in a way that preserves the progressiveness of our tax code.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    The chicago pizza and hot dog vs new york pizza and hot dog is a silly argument. I've lived in both places and the reason the food is so different is they serve entirely different functions. Everything in New York is designed to be done on the run from one thing to the next because that is the life of the new yorker. Pizza? Well fold the ****er then go. In chicago, the food is designed to stop you, chill the **** out. You have to sit down with a god damn knife and fork to eat pizza or a ****ing hot dog. It is what it is and it defines both cities well... I think.
    Good evaluation, and I agree. I'm pretty open-minded and not picky but I was just so disappointed with my trip to Chicago and their pizza...but to each is own!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I think a tax cut is not a bad idea, in fact I think cutting nearly all the deductions and bringing the bottom rate down to 0% and the top rate to probably 30% would be a good policy. This would necessitate removing the special treatment of capital gains though. But it has to be be done in a way that preserves the progressiveness of our tax code.
    It is very easy to outline a tax plan if you only look at the benefits side rather than the costs side of the cost-benefit equation. However, the numbers you outline above simply don't add up.

Here is a thumbnail of the Romney plan, part of which you apparently support:

If you take the numbers from the Tax Policy Center and the Treasury (for the elimination of the estate tax), the 10 year costs break down like this:

Lower tax rates by 20 percent = $2.5 trillion
    Eliminating the Alternative Minimum Tax = $700 billion
    Repeal of high-income payroll tax = $300 billion
    Repeal the estate tax = $150 billion
    Tax cut for corporations = $1.1 trillion

The interest costs get you to $5t.
    Here is another analysis of why the "broaden the base, remove loopholes" approach does not work. The study upon which that analysis is based can be found here.

There are as many reasons for tax deductions as there are deductions. However, to grossly generalize, they are there for a purpose. For one major example, the mortgage tax deduction exists to encourage home ownership.
    Removing it would cause a hit to homeowners and to the housing market. It's nice and easy to talk about "removing almost all deductions" but when you look at the numbers, as the Tax Policy Center did, above, they don't amount to the revenue that a rate decrease would cost. Removing deductions would also have negative effects on some economic sectors. For a video version of this same argument, try here.

In short, I agree that we should look at deductions. We should almost certainly get rid of the scam that is our capital gains tax rate exception, and we should examine particularly those deductions that encourage income manipulation like Cayman Islands and Luxembourg accounts. What we should not do is throw the baby out with the bath water.
    Last edited by Labgrownmangoat; 11-14-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: *added a vital "not" to the last sentence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I find one to taste like *** and the other to be delicious.

**** their functions!

vCash
    I love that my mustard/ketchup analogy completely derailed this thread.

GGGGG-Men
    Derailing Threads Since 2008

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I love that my mustard/ketchup analogy completely derailed this thread.

GGGGG-Men
    Derailing Threads Since 2008

I thought this was the food forum? It's not?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Ketchup >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mustard

Suck it mustard lovers!

And my response to Chicago hating ketchup is that very, very stupid city.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Ketchup >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mustard

Suck it mustard lovers!

And my response to Chicago hating ketchup is that very, very stupid city.
    We don't hate ketchup. But put it on a hot dog and you're going to get ripped.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast