Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 84
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    I tend to agree with that (bolded part). But I have to admit that Pagan was a good fit here. And I wasn't all that high on him at the beginning of the season.

    I don't put a lot of stock in stats as the be-all end-all of everything baseball. He just may be one of those players that found his niche, and is happy playing here. An 'intangibles anomaly' of sorts.
    Absolutely agree with this post. It's all about chemistry and finding players that fit into your club and ballpark. Restating something I read somewhere, Sabean knows he has a potential dynasty on his hands here and the ring collecting may not be done. He'll make some great moves to us. I have full faith in him.
    Last edited by MVPosey28; 11-08-2012 at 10:19 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brea, CA
    Posts
    35,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    1. Zack Greinke- Dodgers
    ray:ray:

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    30,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    You guys need to prepare yourselves for the Giants overpaying Pagan, I absolutely think its going to happen. It would be great if we could sign him for 3/30, but this is a guy I see Sabean overpaying.

    Also, when you say you hope the Giants spend that money elsewhere, who do you have in mind? IMO the only other options are to sign Michael Bourn, who will be overpaid even more than Pagan or to sign a guy like Torri Hunter and start Blanco in CF.
    Unfortunately, you're probably right. Sabean is known for overpaying on the free agent market, as I'm sure you know.

    To answer your question, I'd try to sign Victorino to be the center fielder to a three-year deal in the 8M range where I'd assume that's where he could be looking and then sign Melky to the play left (even though he'd better in right) or Hunter if the Giants don't want to bring Melky back. I would want to sign Victorino if Swisher if I were the Giants and Pagan was insisting on 12M/year, but like spliff said, the likelihood of signing two impact players is not high.
    Last edited by Rush; 11-09-2012 at 12:01 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17,695
    Victorino is no longer a CFer or at least shouldn't be.

    "It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument against a stupid person." - Bill Murray
    Sabermetric Myths
    FIP=better pitcher
    WAR is fact
    Pythagorean records and win expectancy have value
    Strikeouts are overrated
    Best regular season record = best team
    Regular season > Post season
    The difference between me and you is I don't need the internet to discuss baseball intelligently.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    30,160
    Really? Has he lost a step? I'm not refuting what you're saying, I just didn't pay close attention to him.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    25,874
    This past season he took alot of terrible routes, not that our CF didn't. Even at the top of his game I wasn't that thrilled with Victorino, always that he was overrated. If Pagan wasn't an option, I'd much prefer Hunter in LF and Blanco in CF than Vicotrino in CF.







  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    30,160
    I would be perfectly fine with Blanco in center if the Giants could pick up Swisher. If that were to happen, how do you think the Giants would set the lineup?

    2B Scutaro
    LF Swisher
    3B Sandoval
    C Posey
    RF Pence
    1B Belt
    CF Blanco
    SS Crawford

    Or switch Belt and Swisher?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    25,874
    Yeah, that'd be a nice setup. I still figure of someone's getting $12mil per year, it's Pagan. That's just my hunch.







  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    30,160
    Just looking at the lineup is getting me excited. Man I hope they could pick up Swisher. But ya, I wouldn't be surprised if Pagan re-signed.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    25,874
    RTL, you've usually got a knack for contract stuff. What type of money/years do you expect for Pagan, Swisher and Hunter?







  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17,695
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    Really? Has he lost a step? I'm not refuting what you're saying, I just didn't pay close attention to him.
    Yes, he has. He should have been in a corner OF spot the past couple of seasons. He played LF with the Dodgers which is right where he belongs and should play if he became a Giant.

    "It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument against a stupid person." - Bill Murray
    Sabermetric Myths
    FIP=better pitcher
    WAR is fact
    Pythagorean records and win expectancy have value
    Strikeouts are overrated
    Best regular season record = best team
    Regular season > Post season
    The difference between me and you is I don't need the internet to discuss baseball intelligently.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    RTL, you've usually got a knack for contract stuff. What type of money/years do you expect for Pagan, Swisher and Hunter?
    I can see Hunter getting 2yr/$22 million or Huff-type deal, Pagan 4yr/$40 million and Swisher 3yr/$39 million. Pagan would be getting a $5 million bump in annual salary, a realistic number in my mind.

    "It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument against a stupid person." - Bill Murray
    Sabermetric Myths
    FIP=better pitcher
    WAR is fact
    Pythagorean records and win expectancy have value
    Strikeouts are overrated
    Best regular season record = best team
    Regular season > Post season
    The difference between me and you is I don't need the internet to discuss baseball intelligently.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brea, CA
    Posts
    35,471
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    Yes, he has. He should have been in a corner OF spot the past couple of seasons. He played LF with the Dodgers which is right where he belongs and should play if he became a Giant.
    Also a guy named Kemp in CF

    But Victorino still plays good defense anywhere

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Golden 1 Center
    Posts
    79,068
    If we sign rectum-face, I'll be disappointed.
    #JoergerBomb

    Watching the Giants bullpen like:

    <3


    - He runs meetings like a coach. Basically, Im playing with a coordinator on the field. Hes a football God. He sees everything, and he sees the big picture of everything." - Frank Gore on Andrew Luck
    - "He is as smart as Peyton, as accurate as Brady, tougher than Ben and as athletic as RG3." - Anonymous Head Coach on Andrew Luck

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    25,874
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    I can see Hunter getting 2yr/$22 million or Huff-type deal, Pagan 4yr/$40 million and Swisher 3yr/$39 million. Pagan would be getting a $5 million bump in annual salary, a realistic number in my mind.
    That's around where I had figured, but I wasn't really thinking anyone would give Pagan 4 years.







Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •