Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should Vince Carter have his jersey retired in Toronto?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. One playoff series win is not enough success.

21 60.00%
  • Yes. He was an all-star.

14 40.00%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    also never forget that he led us to the farthest we've ever made it

i would love it if he did this
    @mvbisecco
    follow me on twitter and i'll follow you
    SMOKE WEED ERR DAY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddler The Gr8 View Post
    nope **** Wince. Even though he said the right things on Tim & Sid today. The guy QUIT ON OUR TEAM, FANS, CITY, AND FRANCHISE. What he did was 10000000x worse than what Lebron did to Cleveland. I don't know how you can forgive that.
    meh. all i have to say is that Vince Carter was probably your epiphany of basketball or the NBA. you had Jordan and all the other stars but Vince Carter brought us closer to basketball as a fan and probably for Canada. All i'm saying is that- know your roots, respect it.

so he quit on the team, that was on the decline, and you are going to whine about it if Vince came back? you're even worse than Vince in terms of being crazy. He even said he will come back and retire as a Raptor - if they let him- not any other team - the Raptors. How about Stoudemire, Camby etc. Dude is giving respect to the team that gave him the chance to shine and he WANTS (or wouldn't mind) being retired in a Raptors uniform- he put himself below the organization.

I think we're more bitter on what we got back for Carter than anything else. If we got a slam dunk package for him, we wouldnt be having these strong emotional feelings towards Carter. Blame the lameduck GM who built the team and dismantled it in one trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koreancabbage View Post
    meh. all i have to say is that Vince Carter was probably your epiphany of basketball or the NBA. you had Jordan and all the other stars but Vince Carter brought us closer to basketball as a fan and probably for Canada. All i'm saying is that- know your roots, respect it.

so he quit on the team, that was on the decline, and you are going to whine about it if Vince came back? you're even worse than Vince in terms of being crazy. He even said he will come back and retire as a Raptor - if they let him- not any other team - the Raptors. How about Stoudemire, Camby etc. Dude is giving respect to the team that gave him the chance to shine and he WANTS (or wouldn't mind) being retired in a Raptors uniform- he put himself below the organization.

I think we're more bitter on what we got back for Carter than anything else. If we got a slam dunk package for him, we wouldnt be having these strong emotional feelings towards Carter. Blame the lameduck GM who built the team and dismantled it in one trade.
    cool. he was a great player for us for what, 5-6 years? it wasn't like he spent 14 years here and revolutionized our franchise like someone like Reggie Miller for Indiana, or KG for Minnesota. Yea he put Toronto on the map (WHILE HE WAS HERE DURING THE 5-6 YEARS, AND NOT FOR ANY TIME AFTER), but he didn't make us a household name, which is what you're acting like he did. The Raptors are still seen a joke of a franchise to pretty much every NBA fan. His most popular moment for the Raptors wasn't even a regular season game, or epic playoff game. we had a couple playoff runs with him...whoopdey-****ing-doo...every franchise in the NBA has had a couple playoff runs by now. The guy quit on the team. He didn't just want out and demand a trade, the guy FAKED INJURIES, admitted to not trying, and held the franchise hostage and we ended up getting the shittiest package ever for him. I couldn't care less if he came back now...the guy's clearly washed up...it's not like he'd help us much. The fact that some Toronto fans want to put this guy on a pedestal for 5-6 years of service and act like he's god when he never won **** but a slam dunk contest shows the state of Toronto sports and its right now...just so used to losers.
    Last edited by Sadds The Gr8; 11-07-2012 at 02:14 AM.

vCash
    cool. he was a great player for us for what, 5-6 years? it wasn't like he spent 14 years here and revolutionized our franchise like someone like Reggie Miller for Indiana, or KG for Minnesota. Yea he put Toronto on the map (WHILE HE WAS HERE DURING THE 5-6 YEARS, AND NOT FOR ANY TIME AFTER), but he didn't make us a household name, which is what you're acting like he did. The Raptors are still seen a joke of a franchise to pretty much every NBA fan. His most popular moment for the Raptors wasn't even a regular season game, or epic playoff game. we had a couple playoff runs with him...whoopdey-****ing-doo...every franchise in the NBA has had a couple playoff runs by now. The guy quit on the team. He didn't just want out and demand a trade, the guy FAKED INJURIES, admitted to not trying, and held the franchise hostage and we ended up getting the shittiest package ever for him. I couldn't care less if he came back now...the guy's clearly washed up...it's not like he'd help us much. The fact that some Toronto fans want to put this guy on a pedestal for 5-6 years of service and act like he's god when he never won **** but a slam dunk contest shows the state of Toronto sports and its right now...just so used to losers.
    I think he captured the fans of Toronto of all varying degrees in terms of attention. If you ask an average joe on the street and ask him about basketball and in Canada, i'm pretty sure the only thing that he will remember was Vince Carter. Sure, you can say we "put him on a pedestal" but he's done more for this team than ANY player has.

The bottom line is he was the most recognized player Raptors history and if you take away what he did in Toronto, I'm not sure how you can recognize any other player as a Raptor in history (even current generation) as the "greatest". Vince Carter, regardless of how you think of him, is still the greatest Raptor to this date.

we're not used to losers- Vince Carter brought us to the conference finals. I think years of mediocrity and poor GM decisions have cost us many years. I think you're just targeting your hate at the wrong person(s). Even the great Lebron quit on his team in the Finals but Vince Carter voiced it- there is no difference there but yet you think Carter did it worse- Toronto fans were so stuck up and spoiled by Vince Carter atm that we forgot he was actually human.

vCash
    Although I understand the perspective of some of you regarding Vince, I have no problem bringing him back in a backup role player type role. He's still got some gas in the tank. Its been 10yrs...time to move on from the bitterness.

vCash
    Hope this happens!!

Lowry
    Derozan
    Carter
    Bargnani
    Valanciunas

I like it!

vCash
    who?

vCash
    I feel like the only reason he wants to retire here is because we are the only place where he has a chance to get his jersey retired lol.

GO JAYS GO!!

Follow me @3mikee_

vCash
    yeaa come back vince, ure still better than all our wing players....it'd be awesome if tmac come back too

vCash
    Even if this statement is true...it is definitely not because of Vince Carter. Blame the GM that dismantled what could have been a great team, and the owner that let him do so.

Do all you VC haters loathe Bosh as much as you do VC? He also screwed this franchise in a pretty major way by not telling management early there was no way in he^% he was going to resign at the end of his deal and that he wanted to move on...I would say more so then Carter did because we didn't get nearly as much in return for Bosh leaving as we did when VC was traded.

Do you hate Alonzo Mourning just as much as you hate VC. You know, the guy that refused to play here like it was a 3rd world country or something.

People get mad at players for "demanding/requesting trades", but I think it is a lot more beneficial to a franchise if the player simply tells them he wants out...preferably privately of course. However, either way it is the GM's job to get fair value. If that team denies the player a trade and lets his contract run out. Then they will get nothing in return.It is in their best interest to work out a deal. Everyone knew Melo was headed out of Denver, yet they still got a great package of players for him.... Rob Babcock should have been able to get a solid package of players for Carter even in his current situation. It's not like he got nothing. The Nets actually gave up their starting SF in Eric Williams , Alonzo Mourning, the 16th overall pick in the 2005 draft, and the 20th overall pick in the 2006 draft. There must have been other offers out there to choose from.

Making that trade was acknowledging a rebuild was about to happen. We already had CB4 from the draft in 2003, and even though we dropped the ball in 2004 that trade was going to give us 2 first round picks in each of 2005 and 2006 to put together a new core. It is well documented how much the Raptors screwed the pooch drafting Hoffa in 2004, but that Carter trade actually should have set us up for a pretty quick rebuild if we had a GM that knew how to draft talent.

vCash
    Screw Vince Carter! Once a traitor, always a traitor!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mvb815 View Post
    also never forget that he led us to the farthest we've ever made it

i would love it if he did this

wohoo second round playoffs!!!yeah good tiimes!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koreancabbage View Post
    I think he captured the fans of Toronto of all varying degrees in terms of attention. If you ask an average joe on the street and ask him about basketball and in Canada, i'm pretty sure the only thing that he will remember was Vince Carter. Sure, you can say we "put him on a pedestal" but he's done more for this team than ANY player has.
    Not arguing this.

The bottom line is he was the most recognized player Raptors history and if you take away what he did in Toronto, I'm not sure how you can recognize any other player as a Raptor in history (even current generation) as the "greatest". Vince Carter, regardless of how you think of him, is still the greatest Raptor to this date.
    umm...Chris Bosh?

we're not used to losers- Vince Carter brought us to the conference finals. I think years of mediocrity and poor GM decisions have cost us many years.
    yes we are. we're willing to celebrate a loser who quit on the franchise and mailed it in. Do you really think any of the celebrated franchises (Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, etc...) would celebrate someone like this? I HIGHLY doubt it. Even half the Lakers fanbase still hates Shaq and he did nothing close to what Carter did to us, plus he won them 3 titles.

and he led us to the Conference Semis 2nd round....not the east finals. Which is another reason why i don't think his run here was all that.

I think you're just targeting your hate at the wrong person(s). Even the great Lebron quit on his team in the Finals but Vince Carter voiced it- there is no difference there but yet you think Carter did it worse- Toronto fans were so stuck up and spoiled by Vince Carter atm that we forgot he was actually human.
    No, I'm targeting my hate toward the guy that quit on the franchise and set it back for years...I think that's the right guy to hate if you ask me. And Lebron didn't quit on the Heat in the finals. He just played soft as **** and like a scared little *****. He didn't fake injuries, tip off plays to an opposing team, and admit that he didn't try.

Humans can make mistakes, but this is unforgivable in my mind. If he demanded a trade because he felt like the team wasn't going anywhere I'd be fine with that. But to quit and fake injuries like a ****in punk is just pathetic. You're acting like Carter's run here made us an elite championship contender which we weren't. His run here isn't nearly as special as people like to think.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Even if this statement is true...it is definitely not because of Vince Carter. Blame the GM that dismantled what could have been a great team, and the owner that let him do so.
    I'm not blaming Wince for our franchise sucking, but the way he demanded the trade didnt help.

Do all you VC haters loathe Bosh as much as you do VC? He also screwed this franchise in a pretty major way by not telling management early there was no way in he^% he was going to resign at the end of his deal and that he wanted to move on...I would say more so then Carter did because we didn't get nearly as much in return for Bosh leaving as we did when VC was traded.
    I thought everyone in this forum knew how much I hate Rupaul. I thought he mailed it in too and gave up after he broke his nose. I thought he would've put on a face mask and gave it a go like any other hungry star/superstar would've done. However he didn't set the franchise back the way Wince did.

Do you hate Alonzo Mourning just as much as you hate VC. You know, the guy that refused to play here like it was a 3rd world country or something.
    definitely.

People get mad at players for "demanding/requesting trades", but I think it is a lot more beneficial to a franchise if the player simply tells them he wants out...preferably privately of course. However, either way it is the GM's job to get fair value. If that team denies the player a trade and lets his contract run out. Then they will get nothing in return.It is in their best interest to work out a deal. Everyone knew Melo was headed out of Denver, yet they still got a great package of players for him.... Rob Babcock should have been able to get a solid package of players for Carter even in his current situation. It's not like he got nothing. The Nets actually gave up their starting SF in Eric Williams , Alonzo Mourning, the 16th overall pick in the 2005 draft, and the 20th overall pick in the 2006 draft. There must have been other offers out there to choose from.
    Sure, but there's something called honouring your contract. Melo asked out, but he did it in a beneficial way to the Nuggets. He told them he wanted out, and gave them time to work out a deal. The rumours were going on for months that he was going to NY, and Denver's management made a great deal. Toronto had to get him out ASAP because Wince threw the franchise/team under the bus and we couldn't work out a good enough deal. I'm not saying that's all Carter's fault...we definitely had crap management. But Melo didn't admit to quitting and faking injuries...he just continued to play his game until he got what he wanted. If he left the way Melo did I would've hated him for a while but forgiven him eventually.
    Last edited by Sadds The Gr8; 11-07-2012 at 12:49 PM.

vCash
    Agree with pretty much everything Saddler said.

Remember, BC reached out to Vince as part of franchise's 15 year anniversary. He said, and this is verbatim "All the people that Vince had problems with ARE GONE now". He thought it would help him and franchise move forward. What happened? Vince refused to be honored.

Now all of sudden he wants to retire as a Raptor? **** this guy.

I don't want this quitter anywhere near this team especially it's young players. What advice is he going to give them? Try only when you FEEL like it?

We are a rebuilding team. We should be worried about winning games NOW in the PRESENT. Yet here we are talking about the past. Like signing this washed up clown is gonna make us a better team.
    Last edited by Rego247; 11-07-2012 at 01:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    What 'Zo did might have been worse. He hid behind his condition. It made what was such a great comeback story and destroyed it.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast