Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

McClellin or Wooten

So far McClellin hasnt looked very good. Ive seen him on several occasions going inside the tackle when he is supposed to be going out. Going outside when he should be going in. He always does this spin move that doesnt amount to anything. He doesnt have a strafe or swim move. Seems like he needs to eat more protien and hit the gym alot more. I will say he does have great initial burst. He seems to get overpowered by blockers all the time because he lacks upperbody strength. Wooten on the other hand has great size and strength good hand work without having to try and be fancy. Hes done a decent job for the limited amount of reps hes getting. He already has 4 sacks 8 tackes and 2 forced fumbles and a bunch of quarterback pressures.
    McClellin has had alot more reps and only has 3 tackes and a pair of sacks.
    Is it too early to call McClellin a first round bust? and wouldnt it be better to give Wooten more reps than McClellin? I think that Wooten is our future at Defensive end and McClellin will fade into obscurity. Thoughts?

vCash
    I think Shea is still a work in progress but i think he is going great for moving from an OLB to a DE ... I do think that Emery drafted to switch to a 3-4 if we were moving on from Lovie in case of a bad season. But I do think Shea could be developed into a good edge rusher in a few yrs.

One thing I am wondering about is Shea was drafted as a player who was seen as a good pass rushing prospect and an excellent special teams player but I havent seen him do anything significant on special teams or even seen him on special teams at times

vCash
    I think we're already seeing more of Wootton than Shea, and I haven't seen an update but Izzy looked like he hurt his knee pretty badly and I'm pretty sure Wootton is going to start...

It's too early to call Shea a bust. Once he adds some muscle and with more experience, his versatility will be great for our defense.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sdrobert View Post
    So far McClellin hasnt looked very good. Ive seen him on several occasions going inside the tackle when he is supposed to be going out. Going outside when he should be going in. He always does this spin move that doesnt amount to anything. He doesnt have a strafe or swim move. Seems like he needs to eat more protien and hit the gym alot more. I will say he does have great initial burst. He seems to get overpowered by blockers all the time because he lacks upperbody strength. Wooten on the other hand has great size and strength good hand work without having to try and be fancy. Hes done a decent job for the limited amount of reps hes getting. He already has 4 sacks 8 tackes and 2 forced fumbles and a bunch of quarterback pressures.
    Is it too early to call McClellin a first round bust?
    and wouldnt it be better to give Wooten more reps than McClellin? I think that Wooten is our future at Defensive end and McClellin will fade into obscurity. Thoughts?
    You are joking right? I'm sorry but this is an awful comparison. We are comparing Shea to a guy who was a 1st Rd talent, a 4 year starter at DE in college, and is in his 3rd year in the NFL. Everyone should have known that Shea was a project as a DE. He was an athlete at Boise St, not a DE. He needs to hit the weight room this offseason and he needs to refine his craft. He has no counter move and even his speed rush is lacking in the technical details. But, you can't teach the burst and closing speed that he has. If he can figure out the technique he can be a terror.
    Last edited by BCB mwat15; 11-06-2012 at 02:16 PM.

vCash
    Too be fair to Shea, Wootton has had the last three years to develop in the pros. I'm glad he's come around though, and if I had to pick a starter out of the two I would pick Wootton.

That being said, Shea seems to have a lot of the pieces in place. I wouldn't sleep on him if he can get his strength up.

Another interesting prospect is moving Shea to MLB (a la Vrable) after Urlacher retires. IMO He has the speed, athleticism, size, and coverage ability to fit well there.

vCash
    i feel like Shea is better fit to be an inside linebacker instead of a defensive end, he has great coverage skills and he has the ability to be a great tackler. He also wouldnt have to bulk up as much as he would have to if he continues to be a defensive end

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by statandmelo2011 View Post
    i feel like Shea is better fit to be an inside linebacker instead of a defensive end, he has great coverage skills and he has the ability to be a great tackler. He also wouldnt have to bulk up as much as he would have to if he continues to be a defensive end
    he's probably at the right weight for MLB now. He needs to work on his block shedding though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by statandmelo2011 View Post
    I would like to see Shea at LB but the Bears have said multiple times that he is strictly a DE and will be groomed to become a DE. though Shea does have the size, speed, and intangibles to be a LB. I would love to see him playing opposite of Briggs right now but that i just not going to happen, unless we move to a 3-4 down the road

vCash
    Shea is a rookie 8 games in, and the defense staff obviously thinks he's pretty good enough to play him a decent amount of snaps with our deep defensive line. He needs to get a lot stronger but we've seen flashes where he's shown he's speed rush and that spin move (he forced that quick throw by Hasselback on the Urlacher INT). Remember what Melton or Paea, or even Wootton did in there first season? It wasn't much. Its awful premature to call him a bust or say he's just going to fade away.

That being said Wootton has so far played a lot better then him. But part of that reason is because he's fresh, and he's already had two years work with Marinelli, and I think that has a big part to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by d00d View Post
    Laurence Holmes made a strong case for 0 - 6 before you say no way you should hear him

vCash
    Shea's always been a project, but his upside is exciting to think about. If he can develop a few more moves (he's mostly relying on a spin move right now) and just learn how to play the position, he has the potential to be very, very good. He really should have more than 3 sacks too...he's 3rd on this team in QB Hurries with 14, but just hasn't been able to come up with the sack on a few occasions.

Wootton's always been good, he just couldn't stay healthy. If he can just stay on the field then we have a nice future with he & Shea at DE and if Izzy's not back next year then I'm more than fine with Corey as the starter opposite Peppers.

vCash
    Shea and Corey could be really, really damn good DEs in a couple of years when they're both together.

Shea at RDE, Corey at LDE will be schmexy. Next year, I'd almost go as far as to say I think it might not be a bad idea to start Shea/Pep/Paea (assuming Melton's gone)/Wootton.

vCash
    Trade him to a 3-4 team and watch him flourish. Shea needs help to create pressure at this point in his career. He's a speed end that cannot go against the giant sized tackles in the NFL and succeed regularly without stunts, different blitz packages, etc.

I'm less worried about Shea than I am Carimi.

vCash
    Is it possible that the bears adjust their defensive schemes so they add in a lot of 3-4 plays in the future. I feel like that would truley maximize Sheas ability. Also I believe we have the players to run a tampa/cover 2 and 3-4

vCash
    ^IMO it is very possible. Most of the stars on this team that make the system work are over 30 and have contracts that are up soon. When Urlacher goes, it is possible the scheme goes. So, Emery could load up on guys like Shea in the next couple of drafts who have scheme versatility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sdrobert View Post
    Is it too early to call McClellin a first round bust? and wouldnt it be better to give Wooten more reps than McClellin? I think that Wooten is our future at Defensive end and McClellin will fade into obscurity. Thoughts?
    1. You don't know where he's supposed to go on a particular play. Are you on the sidelines to hear the play call? He very well could be doing exactly what he's being coached to do.

2. Wooton has been in the league for three years now. Shea is in his first. Comparing the two doesn't make any sense.

3. Shea really hasn't gotten enough snaps (that I've seen) to really make any judgements on his ability. He's a rookie, give him time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast