Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Trying To Come Up With a Better Diet To Gain Muscle Mass

It's tough for me. I've been working out for about 15 months now, and am in pretty good shape. The past month has been hard for me. With summer kicking in, I am just so active, and most of the stuff I'm active in has to do with cardio (baseball, kickball, volleyball). I also have an active social life, and I go out 3-4 nights per week. With my 8-5 Monday through Friday job, my time is somewhat limited this summer.

And that's fine. But my weight tends to fluctuate pretty quickly. I'm only talking within 5 pounds though. And I sometimes wonder if it's just the scale I'm using at the gym (I don't trust these things).

I don't think I'm really losing too much muscle mass. I think my diet isn't as heavy as it used to be. I just moved out of my parents house a little under two weeks ago. I eat EXTREMELY healthy for someone my age. No snacks. Hardly any cheese. It's protein and carbs, mostly. I don't like to drink milk because I'm at least somewhat lactose. I have noticed more gains in the past when I have been drinking milk, though.

I think I'm going to take this week off from working out, but I'm nervous. I'm also taking a few weeks off from drinking protein. One, because of the cost, and two, because I've had success when I go through periods of not drinking it and then drinking it again.

So, I guess, I'm looking for healthy items that can keep my weight where it is or increase it. I eat chicken, tuna, 90-95 lean beef, greek yogurt, peanut butter and whatnot on a regular basis. Well, I try to not eat that much beef because again, I am a bit of a health freak and I don't like the idea of eating red meat more than 2 or so times a week.

Does anyone have any suggestions of items I can eat between meals? I think that is where I can better my diet. But I have no idea what good types of "snacks" are. Protein bars, stuff like that. Perhaps hummus is a good idea. Just looking for some ideas and any help would be appreciated.

vCash
    For me, I love low fat cottage cheese. High protein and really easy to pound down. I eat alot of lean sandwich meats or pre cut up chicken slices from walmart that Ill throw on a salad.

vCash
    I do need to start getting the sandwich meats they slice at the counter. I've always wondered about the protein in them though.

I do get cottage cheese every few weeks. I do like it, but I can't do it every week. I get sick of it. Then again, I used to get the 1% stuff. I've switched the the 4% stuff recently, and obviously it tastes way better.

vCash
    What about fruits? Bananas or something would be a good snak between meals. I love cut up apple slices too
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    I do need to start getting the sandwich meats they slice at the counter. I've always wondered about the protein in them though.

I do get cottage cheese every few weeks. I do like it, but I can't do it every week. I get sick of it. Then again, I used to get the 1% stuff. I've switched the the 4% stuff recently, and obviously it tastes way better.
    deli meat is very processed and high in sodium. It would be much healthier to use shredded chicken breast or beef, or actual tuna in ur sandwiches.

yogurt is pretty solid too. throw some oats and fruit in that bad boy, solid snack

vCash
    Yeah, that is why I stay away from deli meat. But it would get me eating more.

I need to start eating more granola and hummus, I think.

What are people's opinions on eggs? Good or bad for you, in general? I'd love to convince myself to start eating them more regularly, because they are so cheap and easy, but I really don't think I'll ever be able to consider it healthy enough to eat regularly given the rest of my diet does include meats.
    Last edited by Driven; 06-24-2013 at 10:17 PM.

vCash
    I'm having the same problem. When I was bulking "half GOMAD" I was making big gains but I was getting fat as ***** too now I've been cycling all day I've leaned out and lost a lot of mass. It's tough to get that middle ground. My goal is to get down to that 6 pack I've been dreaming of and then clean bulk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    deli meat is very processed and high in sodium. It would be much healthier to use shredded chicken breast or beef, or actual tuna in ur sandwiches.

yogurt is pretty solid too. throw some oats and fruit in that bad boy, solid snack
    Good post Nasty!

Lean meats are the way to go.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    I'm having the same problem. When I was bulking "half GOMAD" I was making big gains but I was getting fat as ***** too now I've been cycling all day I've leaned out and lost a lot of mass. It's tough to get that middle ground. My goal is to get down to that 6 pack I've been dreaming of and then clean bulk.
    The mass you prolly lost is body fat. You may look smaller, but you prolly look leaner and healthier now. I went through the same phase.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    What are people's opinions on eggs? Good or bad for you, in general? I'd love to convince myself to start eating them more regularly, because they are so cheap and easy, but I really don't think I'll ever be able to consider it healthy enough to eat regularly given the rest of my diet does include meats.
    Are you worried about cholesterol? Don't because eggs have been proven to lower LDL (low density lipoprotein) and raise HDL (high density lipoprotein), the good cholesterol. Along with a myriad of other positive reasons to eat eggs, they taste phukking great! Read this article for peace of mind http://www.healthextremist.com/are-e...s-to-eat-eggs/