Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Offensive Rebounding Differentials

Game 1: Mavericks 9 - Lakers 15
    Game 2: Mavericks 8 - Jazz 20
    Game 3: Mavericks 8 - Bobcats 15
    Game 4: Mavericks 2 - Trailblazers 23
    Total Games: Mavericks 27 - Oppents 73 = -46 = -11.5/game

The Mavericks have won (even blew teams out) 3 out of 4 games but I'd be lying if I said this is not a huge concern. Dirk Nowitzki is surprisingly a decent defensive rebounder but he won't be back until next month. I'd hate to rely on our offensive hot streaks to win games. Is anyone else worried about the offensive rebound differentials so far? Are there other areas that concern you?

On a positive note, I think the Mavericks are playing excellent defense. They are racking in the assists. Their offense seems to have chemistry even though most everyone is new.
    Last edited by Diabolical; 11-06-2012 at 12:43 AM.

vCash
    The offensive rebounds are somewhat skewed because we're shooting at a ridiculous clip at the moment. But the problem seems to be that our bigs just aren't that fast and athletic.

Brand is undersized, can barely jump and is going against bigger, faster, more athletic bigs.

Kaman seems to be better at rebounding, but is coming off a strained calf and is still getting back into the flow of things.

Wright just doesn't have the girth to clog the rebounding lanes.

Rebounding will be our biggest challenge this season, but as long as we keep the margins reasonable - the team will be in great shape.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nrvana View Post
    The offensive rebounds are somewhat skewed because we're shooting at a ridiculous clip at the moment. But the problem seems to be that our bigs just aren't that fast and athletic.

Brand is undersized, can barely jump and is going against bigger, faster, more athletic bigs.

Kaman seems to be better at rebounding, but is coming off a strained calf and is still getting back into the flow of things.

Wright just doesn't have the girth to clog the rebounding lanes.

Rebounding will be our biggest challenge this season, but as long as we keep the margins reasonable - the team will be in great shape.
    Game 1 Field Goals: Mavericks 40/85 - Lakers 38/77
    Game 2 Field Goals: Mavericks 32/85 - Jazz 38/89
    Game 3 Field Goals: Mavericks 49/80 - Bobcats 39/91
    Game 4 Field Goals: Mavericks 48/78 - Trailblazers 36/93
    Total Games Field Goals: Mavericks 169/328 (159 possible offensive rebounds of which we got 27 back) Opponents 151/350 (199 possible offensive rebounds of which they got 73 back)
    Mavericks 27 offensive rebounds/159 possible = %16.98
    Opponents 73 offensive rebounds/199 possible - %36.68

Unskewing the FG percentages/offensive rebounding numbers, it is more clear how badly the Mavericks are getting killed on the boards.
    Last edited by Diabolical; 11-06-2012 at 02:52 AM.

vCash
    Rebounding has been obviously the biggest issue ,I think the more Kaman and Dirk plays things will get better ,not to the degree we would want but it will improve

NATALIA SIWIEC

vCash
    I was thinking this last night.

I think Kaman had no rebounds at halftime. He needs to grab more boards. That's probably why we the blazers were getting more offensive rebounds. That's the only game where we got killed really bad on the offensive boards.

I can understand us losing the off. rebounds category to the Lakers and the Jazz though. They are both just bigger teams than us.
    Utah has Millsap, Jefferson, Favors and Kanter. The Lakers have Howard (who led the league in Rebounds last season) and Pau Gasol.

I know Dirk isn't the best rebounder but I think the opponents offensive rebounds will go down once he comes back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasTrilla23 View Post
    I was thinking this last night.

I think Kaman had no rebounds at halftime. He needs to grab more boards. That's probably why we the blazers were getting more offensive rebounds. That's the only game where we got killed really bad on the offensive boards.

I can understand us losing the off. rebounds category to the Lakers and the Jazz though. They are both just bigger teams than us.
    Utah has Millsap, Jefferson, Favors and Kanter. The Lakers have Howard (who led the league in Rebounds last season) and Pau Gasol.

I know Dirk isn't the best rebounder but I think the opponents offensive rebounds will go down once he comes back.
    Yeah I hope so. Brand needs to be on the floor for defense and rebounds. I wouldn't even feed him anymore. Let him get his points off put-backs just as Marion does. If he does that, I think the Mavericks will be alright.

vCash
    This is going to be a problem all year and will ultimately be their downfall. They just don't have the size inside or the type of players that can battle the teams with really aggressive big men. They are going to have to play excellent perimeter defense and score a crap load of points this year. I think they will be able to do that however once they get into the playoffs and have to face those big teams in a 7 game series it's going to get ugly.