Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

McCourty to safety permanently, Talib to cover opponent's #2 WR.

source

The New England Patriots will permanently move Devin McCourty to safety, according to NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi.

The Patriots sent a fourth-round draft pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for cornerback Aqib Talib at Thursday's trade deadline.

Talib instantly becomes the most talented, and most troubled, cornerback on the Patriots' roster. Lombardi believes the Patriots will line Talib over the opponent's No. 2 receiver and double-team the No. 1. That has been the Patriots' tendency with their No. 1 cornerback.

McCourty has some experience at safety from the end of 2011 and played the position last week.

The move to acquire Talib plainly shows the Patriots are all-in for a Super Bowl this season.
    should be interesting to see how well this works

vCash
    Interesting thought, put definitely not set in stone. Analysts/reporters can say what they want, but BB doesn't share this sort of information with anyone besides the immediate coaching staff. We'll only know what BB's plan is come game time in two weeks when Talib is eligible to play.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2012

vCash
    I believe Lombardi said it, but I don't believe it is a given or a fact that it will happen. I believe, the only reason he played safety is because of the injuries to both Chung and Gregory and I fully expect he will be a CB and a starting CB at that when those 2 players return their roles as starting safety.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    I read the thread title and thought we were going to put Arrington on our opponent's #1 . Thanks goodness

Would rather have McCourty and Talib at CB, with Wilson and a mixture of Chung and Gregory at S

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy View Post
    I read the thread title and thought we were going to put Arrington on our opponent's #1 . Thanks goodness

Would rather have McCourty and Talib at CB, with Wilson and a mixture of Chung and Gregory at S
    Definitely, I think that would be the best thing to do for the rest of the year because I like Dennard in the slot.

If this is true however, and carries into next season, that means we cut Chung and go with D-Mac at FS and a Wilson/Gregory combo at SS next season.

Then we'll have Dennard and Talib at CB, cut Arrington and then take Xavier Rhodes in the first round of the draft!

vCash
    I understand that we are going to have a safety over the top on #1 WR's 90% of the time, but who will be the CB running with these teams #1 options if Talib is running with #2's?

Dennard?

Arringtion?

I'm all for playing McCourtey as FS, but when our team is healthy, I'd much rather have Gregory there and McCourty back at CB.
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    If Sullinger ever finishes an NBA season in the top 75 in Win Shares, I'll quit the forum.
    ^^ Deal taken! ^^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticsfan2007 View Post
    I understand that we are going to have a safety over the top on #1 WR's 90% of the time, but who will be the CB running with these teams #1 options if Talib is running with #2's?

Dennard?

Arringtion?

I'm all for playing McCourtey as FS, but when our team is healthy, I'd much rather have Gregory there and McCourty back at CB.
    It'll be Dennard. He's played really well.

Arrington goes to the slot.

I'm guessing it'll be FS- McCourty and SS-Wilson/Gregory until Chung gets back, then who knows what happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    Definitely, I think that would be the best thing to do for the rest of the year because I like Dennard in the slot.

If this is true however, and carries into next season, that means we cut Chung and go with D-Mac at FS and a Wilson/Gregory combo at SS next season.

Then we'll have Dennard and Talib at CB, cut Arrington and then take Xavier Rhodes in the first round of the draft!
    I can't see us cutting Chung.

vCash
    I agree with the move and I am really looking forward to seeing how Talib contributes to this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Green_Monster View Post
    Why not? He sucks and he's going to want starter money and expect to start.

We're better off with McCourty at FS and a Gregory/Wilson tandem at SS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Green_Monster View Post
    We don't have to cut Chung in the off season. He's a FA. I might consider bringing him back for the minimum, but if he's looking for top 10 SS money he can go fly a kite, he sucks in coverage and he's hurt constantly.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    We don't have to cut Chung in the off season. He's a FA. I might consider bringing him back for the minimum, but if he's looking for top 10 SS money he can go fly a kite, he sucks in coverage and he's hurt constantly.
    Ding ding.

I'm not a Chung guy at all. Liked him at Oregon and was happy when the Patriots got him, but he has not at all lived up to what I expected. Hurt far too often and makes some seriously boneheaded plays. He CAN string together some performances where he's great, but ultimately, he's not worth big money.

vCash
    Also anyone notice who wrote the piece? Lombardi is a grade A turd, no way anyone connected to the Pats tells this guy anything - it's all conjecture.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Also anyone notice who wrote the piece? Lombardi is a grade A turd, no way anyone connected to the Pats tells this guy anything - it's all conjecture.
    Agreed. The Pats wouldn't tell anyone this type of stuff so I don't know where this guy is claiming to get this info. BB is not the type of coach to reveal this type of decision to the press...
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

vCash
    Am excited to see what Talib can bring to this defense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast