Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Avril not sure where he'll play next year

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-be-next-year/
    Lions defensive end Cliff Avril grew up near Jacksonville, and he’s playing his first game in his hometown of his pro career today.

Where he calls home next year is very much up in the air.

The Lions kept him this year with the franchise tag of $10.6 million, after failing to agree on a long-term deal.

That’s set up him for the jokes of teammates, who tease him about what he’s worth.

“Not much right now,” Avril said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “I only got 4 1/2 sacks.

“I don’t know. If I do what I want to do, I’m still young. … I really don’t know. We’ll see when that comes around. Like I said, I don’t really think about it too much. Cliff is just trying to collect these checks now and get sacks.”

Cliff needs to collect a few more sacks if Cliff wants to get paid the way Cliff thinks he deserves to be.

At 26 years old, Avril’s still got plenty of potential player, even if his pace is off last year’s 11.0 sacks. But the Lions might not be able to afford him, considering the big deals they’ve already signed and need to sign.

They offered him a three-year deal worth around $30 million, and he’ll almost certainly do better than that on the open market.

“As coaches we always evaluate, is a player level, is a player declining, is a player ascending, and Cliff’s definitely an ascending player,” Lions defensive line coach Kris Kocurek said. “He’s got a lot of big plays ahead of him.”

For whom Cliff makes those plays remains to be seen.

Permalink 11 Comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill

No way we franchise him again, right? I guess he's as good as gone?
    Don't just read our posts, JOIN US! click here
    2011 AND 2012 JWE & Strives Lions prediction game Champion
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10, #12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    I'm thinking he is gone. We can look at Bjoern Werner from FSU or Alex Okafor from Texas in the first or guys that have had their stock fall like William Gholston or Brandon Jenkins (foot injury is a killer).

vCash
    Still want to see us use the money on Michael Johnson, but he'll probably get franchised or more than Avril... who else is out there in FA? Willie Young has shown nothing to warrant a starting job and LoJack isn't consistent enough imo, even though he doesn't get much playing time.
    "The way they play offense here is difficult for any quarterback," he said. "Every snap is an incredible decision. They're in a one-back offense, they can't run the ball against certain looks so they have to audible to some kind of a pass or a creative run to get away from trouble.
    "There's never a play in the game where Stafford can just turn around, hand the ball off and catch his breath. Every play he's researching the defense and they throw as much as anyone."

vCash
    I still want him.

vCash
    Wouldnt read much into that article, He was joking around throughout the whole thing

Off-season Sucks

vCash
    If he thinks his worth more than 10 million a year I say let him go. In our wide 9 scheme we just need quick DE and they look good.

vCash
    we may just franchise him and then trade him to someone if he signs, I honestly still don't see how he is worth more than 8-10 million a year.

vCash
    The tag will come down to Houston or Avril imo. Houston is more important to the team. Bye Avril. I hope he decides to come back at a reasonable long term deal, but he just seems to be about the money so I think he's gone.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    The tag will come down to Houston or Avril imo. Houston is more important to the team. Bye Avril. I hope he decides to come back at a reasonable long term deal, but he just seems to be about the money so I think he's gone.
    Hopefully mm will sign the more expensive to a long term extension, then franchise the lessor of the two. I'm actually disappointed mm didn't trade Avril last year/ 2 years ago.

I agree with you that it appears Avril only wants a big payday. If he doesn't sign in the off season I think he's gone.

vCash
    Avril is seriously the most overrated play on this team.

Sure he's a solid player, but I would put most of his success on the fact that he's on a team with arguably the best group of DTs in the league to help him out and collapse the pocket for him.

Seriously, Fairley, Hill, and Williams are the #1 starters on over half the teams in the NFL, and Suh is Suh.

vCash
    "Cliff is just trying to collect these checks now and get sacks.”

I really hope this was in a joking tone...?

Scrap Detroit!!

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    Avril is seriously the most overrated play on this team.

Sure he's a solid player, but I would put most of his success on the fact that he's on a team with arguably the best group of DTs in the league to help him out and collapse the pocket for him.

Seriously, Fairley, Hill, and Williams are the #1 starters on over half the teams in the NFL, and Suh is Suh.

Suh is more overrated nationally then Avril.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    I love Avril, however i think we sjould let him walk and throw are money at LT Jake Long. A O-line of Long-Sims-C-G-Rieff would be sick.

Draft a center and gaurd in the draft

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Baragalionsfan View Post
    I love Avril, however i think we sjould let him walk and throw are money at LT Jake Long. A O-line of Long-Sims-C-G-Rieff would be sick.

Could we move backus to LG, sims to RG & draft a C?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Baragalionsfan View Post

don't think we'd have the money but imagine the line we could potentially have

Draft Barrett Jones in the first, let him start a year at RG

Long - Sims - Raiola - Jones - Reiff

Will sadly never happen
    "The way they play offense here is difficult for any quarterback," he said. "Every snap is an incredible decision. They're in a one-back offense, they can't run the ball against certain looks so they have to audible to some kind of a pass or a creative run to get away from trouble.
    "There's never a play in the game where Stafford can just turn around, hand the ball off and catch his breath. Every play he's researching the defense and they throw as much as anyone."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast